PDA

View Full Version : Riding Status!

C.R.S.
04-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Results from the Neck Doc visit today:

Met with the Neck Doc today, here are the results:
a) the xrays showed the fusion of c5, c6, c7 has healed and the retaining plate is stationary. Everything looks great!
a) Vertical & downward motions - excellent,
b) Tilting side to side - OK, need improvement,
c) Rotation side to side - not there yet, target is 70 degrees both sides.
d) Continue with physical therapy and strengthening exercises.
e) Could return to work today but we need to get your neck rotation and strength further along. By mid May everything should be good to go.
The physical therapist will keep the Doc up to date after each PT session.
PT sessions were 2/week now will be scaled back to 1/week.

f) Return to work day is May 15. With the acception of climbing ladders.
Due to the risk of slipping and falling from the ladder. Trying to avoid the
high risk slipping/falling situations.

Since I'm a Mechanical Contracting Sales Rep, my job consist of Facility
Site Surveys of the HVAC Equipment. Which does involve climbing ladders
to access some of the equipment. I will talk with my employer and see if
accomodations can be made should the ladder issue arise. Possibly
assistance from our Service Technicians during the Site Surveys.

I really dont see this being an issue but if it is, my job classification &
salary may decrease as a result of: I'm not 100% capable of performing
the Sales Rep Duties (Site Survey's) as required.
Can anyone provide any suggestions on this issue? :confused:

g) Can drive for longer time frames. 1 < > 3 Hours then take a break.
Physical activity: I asked if I can return to playing Sand Volleyball
Doc said as long as it is low impact, no concerns but
let the pain and stiffness be your guide.

Playing on the Hard (high impact) Grass Volleyball
Doc said not until after May 15th. We'll see how the
strengthening and range of motion are at that point.
(same issue as the ladder from section "F")

Ultimate question: Can I ride the bike? I'll wear the helmet around the
house for a few hours and see how the neck feels
with the helmet on before I ride.
Doc said take it easy and let the pain and stiffness
be your guide. Dont push it, if you start to get stiff
just take it easy for a while.

My next follow up is Mid July!

Well looks like some lite duty riding for now here we go!
Finally I can get back on the TLS!! :reddancer:

Goosedog
04-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I play volleyball and ride motocross, hard to say which is more demanding on the body. Glad you got a "get out and play" pass, give a shout when you're coming up here to ride.
________
strawberry cough (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough)

Benson
04-19-2007, 07:59 AM
climbing ladders to access some of the equipment.

Can anyone provide any suggestions on this issue? :confused:

Yeah, don't slip and fall from the ladder! :thumbsup:

Use a good ladder, in perfect condition.

Might not want to have any beers/Martini's at lunch:rr:, and don't climb a ladder if your feet are wet.

If you have to carry any tools up and down the ladder, just don't do it:spank .
Tie a rope to the tools and raise and lower them that way, carry the rope up in your teeth, that way both hands are free to climb and decend the ladder.

Get someone to stand at the bottom of the ladder with their foot on the feet of the ladder so the bottom doesn't slip.

If you used your brain, climbing a ladder shouldn't be a problem(Doctors just have to tell you not to do it). Most of the people I've ever known who fell off a ladder were idiots in the first place.

Just don't be an idiot.:scratch:

C.R.S.
04-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I play volleyball and ride motocross, hard to say which is more demanding on the body. Glad you got a "get out and play" pass, give a shout when you're coming up here to ride.

Howdy Goosedog,
What type of Vball do you play? 6-man indoor, triples or doubles grass,
sand doubles.

Theres a few of the guys in Asheville I've played against over the years.

Tom B. - Big Tennessee Fan, Normally Sets, Drives a red 05 mustang convertible. Plays "A" most of the time.

Timmy (cant remember his last name): long haired hippie looking fella, Tour guides on the Nantahala. Plays "A" and the guy he plays with is 6'2" or 6'3" and skinny his name maybe Tom??

Theres some other folks but cant recall their names.

I used to play at the Hi-Neighbor tournaments years ago, with teams from Columbia, Rock Hill, Greenwood, and Greenville up to about 2001.
The Saturday Night get together was usually good from what I remember.

Tom B. and Timmy help coordinate the Pisgah camp out volleyball tourney at Keykendall (not sure of the spelling) Campground off of 64 between Rosman and Brevard. Fun tourney!

There's a big grass tourney in Columbia April 28 & 29 called the Clash.
Triples is Saturday and Coed Doubles is Sunday.
Check out www.columbiavbc.org for more details.

Probably around June I'll try to play some grass tourney's, will need to see how things feel by then. I'm going to try a little sand doubles (low impact) on Tuesday at Greenville Middle School. This is where the older "A" players that dont have hops any more hang out and the rest of the "BB" & "B" players play. We do King of the Beach format lot of fun and good folks to play with.

When ever I get up that way I'll give you holler and try to ride.
But for now I'm going to stay local and not push it.

Ride Safe! :thumbsup:

C.R.S.
04-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, don't slip and fall from the ladder! :thumbsup:

Use a good ladder, in perfect condition.

Might not want to have any beers/Martini's at lunch:rr:, and don't climb a ladder if your feet are wet.

If you have to carry any tools up and down the ladder, just don't do it:spank .
Tie a rope to the tools and raise and lower them that way, carry the rope up in your teeth, that way both hands are free to climb and decend the ladder.

Get someone to stand at the bottom of the ladder with their foot on the feet of the ladder so the bottom doesn't slip.

If you used your brain, climbing a ladder shouldn't be a problem(Doctors just have to tell you not to do it). Most of the people I've ever known who fell off a ladder were idiots in the first place.

Just don't be an idiot.:scratch:

I agree with you on "Dont be an Idiot"!

When I'm performing the survey's, I dont carry many tools. Just a small socket & bit set, note pad, flashlight, and a leatherman multitool. These tools are carried in one of my kid's old book bags. I just throw the book bag over the shoulder and climb away.

If the extension ladder is not tied off at the top or a buddy not holding the bottom, I wont climb.
If any other type interior steep stairwell and/or wall mounted ladder is wet or slippery we dont climb. The facility owner needs to provide safe access to the equipment per our contract guidelines. Just looking out for every body's safety.

I talked with my bosses today about the ladder issue, and until I'm back to 100% they would have the service techs look at the equipment in the hard to access areas. So looks like everything is going to workout. :thumbsup:

Benson
04-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I talked with my bosses today about the ladder issue, and until I'm back to 100% they would have the service techs look at the equipment in the hard to access areas. So looks like everything is going to workout. :thumbsup:

Ya know, this IS the Queen's City, maybe you could barrow some Fairy wings from some local who's a little light in the Loafers?

Then you could just flutter the Fairy wings and be on your way up up and away.....

:thumbsup:

C.R.S.
04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Friday road up to 178 and other local roads for 3 1/2 Hours.
Neck & Shoulders Stiff and Sore but tolerable.

Early Saturday morning the neck & shoulders were not that sore so decided to try it again. Saturday mid-morning met up with some folks from Columbia & Upstate and rode 178 & 215 and then I came back to 178 and rode with some of the locals. Riding time about 8 Hours. Neck and shoulders were sore but not like it was after Friday's ride.

Appears the more I ride the better things will get physically and pain wise. This along with physical therapy and additional exercises should get me back to riding shape soon!

Desmo if your out there when are yall coming out again?

Ride Safe

Desmo Demon
04-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Well looks like some lite duty riding for now here we go!
Finally I can get back on the TLS!! :reddancer:
I guess you'll just have to make sure you set the bike back down easy when you're doing those 12:00 wheelies. :D

Appears the more I ride the better things will get physically and pain wise. This along with physical therapy and additional exercises should get me back to riding shape soon!
Don't be surprised that riding may end up becoming good physical therapy. When I broke my right femur in three places, it was bike riding that helped regain flexibility in my knee. Vicki's regained a lot of flexibility in her ankle, knee and hip from riding. Just think about it, though.....would you sit around the house with your body in that position for that many hours, even if the doc told you it was best for your recovery? :301:

Desmo if your out there when are yall coming out again?
This coming weekend, we're going to Sumter for my 20th class reunion and the weekend after that is our 4-day bike trip to the Mt Airy, NC region for the "Ducks Along the Blue Ridge" rally. We probably won't get out for another weekend or two after that, so you'll have plenty of time to rest up for our next northern Georgia day run. :thumbsup:

C.R.S.
04-24-2007, 01:33 PM
This coming weekend, we're going to Sumter for my 20th class reunion and the weekend after that is our 4-day bike trip to the Mt Airy, NC region for the "Ducks Along the Blue Ridge" rally. We probably won't get out for another weekend or two after that, so you'll have plenty of time to rest up for our next northern Georgia day run. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

20 Year Class Reunion: When I went to my 20th reunion, most of my friends had divorced and remarried. Some were on their 3rd go around.
Some of the ladies looked younger now than they did in high school. I'm assuming with the help of the Plastic Surgeon. Some put on a little weight but not that many.
Some of the guys: lost their hair or wearing the rug, gray headed, and a little bit of the spare tire goin on.
Every one would start calling you by your old nicknames! I wont tell ya what they used to call me! :D
Had a great time seeing everyone again.

I'll head out again this weekend for more physical therapy :woohooo:

Let me know when yall are going to do the Georgia Mtn. Run !

Hope you guys have a good reunion!!

See Ya

Goosedog
04-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Hey CRS, what a chance run-in and good to meet ya yesterday. Sorry I had to cut the chat short towards the end but I had promised the little woman I'd be home for dinner. See ya again soon I'm sure. :thumbsup:
________
Honda CBF series specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBF_series)

C.R.S.
04-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey CRS, what a chance run-in and good to meet ya yesterday. Sorry I had to cut the chat short towards the end but I had promised the little woman I'd be home for dinner. See ya again soon I'm sure. :thumbsup:

Good Morning Goosedog,
It was a pleasure runnin into ya at the store! Hope to ride with ya in the future. Oh yea that Husqvarna Motard looks like a blast to ride :woohooo:

Ride Safe! :thumbsup: