PDA

View Full Version : BT021's ??

C.R.S.
04-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone's BT021's Dual Compound?

Been looking at the Pirelli Stradas, Metzler Z6's and Pilot Roads for a while according to the locals their getting decent performance/mileage for the mountain twistees.

Thinking about the Dunlop Qualifiers but considering I have 100 miles of interstate round trip to and from the mountains then riding twistees at a hard pace. The Qualifiers will square off quickly.

Talked with a guy yesterday on a 93 GSXR600 (from Hendersonville) with qualifiers and he like's the tires, hold extremely well in the turns, but after 1500 miles they have started to square off already. :(

Michelin 2CT's: Another local (from Greenville) with a 2005 Buell XB12 just put on a set of 2CT's and he was scrubbing them in at a slow pace. After 100miles the edges started to wear. We did two runs on 178 and at the end of each run he would examine the tires.
His comment was: these tires wont last long but it's going to be fun!
These things hold better than the Pilot Powers. :thumbsup:

I know how and/or what you ride depends on what kind of wear/mileage you will get out of a tire. The Qualifier & 2CT's are full on sport tires and mileage/performance are different when compared to the Pirelli Stradas, Metzler Z6's, Pilot Roads and BT021's.

Just trying to get the best of both worlds? :scratch:

Goosedog
04-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Since you mentioned Metzlers as a possibility I'll give you my favorite set-up that I run on my ZRX1200.

I mount the Z6 on the rear for longevity and the M1 on the front for sticking. The softer compound M1 will wear faster than the rear but since the rears go quicker anyway it makes for a great combination of equal wear and great traction.

I usually get about 3k out of the set and never worry about how it hooks in the corners. ;)
________
digital vaporizer (http://vaporshop.com)

Desmo Demon
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Here's my take......

1) Michelin Macadam X90 tires suck!
2) Dunlop D220 tires do NOT get a stamp of approval from Vicki
3) Dunlop Qualifiers wear far too fast for the likes of Vicki
4) Pirelli Diablo Strada tires are terrific for both Vicki and the GSXR and me and the ST2. They handle well, don't slide, do well in the rain, and wear a little slower than the sport-orientated tires.
5) Metzeler ME-Z6 get the same praises as the Diablo Strada
6) The Diablo Corsa III tires are terrific tires on my 748. They seem to wear at the same rate as the regular Diablo and older Diablo Corsa. The R1 just got a set, so we'll have an idea of how they do on that bike after this weekend (1000+ miles, hopefully).
7) Regular Pirelli Diablo. Work as well or better than the Diablo Strada in all regards other than mileage.

Typical mileage by class for the ST2, 748, and GSXR....
Sport touring tires - front: 4000-4500 miles; rear: 3000-3500 miles

Sport tires - front: 3000-3500 miles; rear: 2000-2500 miles.

We haven't ridden the R1 enough to know how that bike stacks up with the others for tire mileage, but I expect it to be the same, as the bikes sees the same type of riding as the others do.

Update - The Corsa III tires work great on the R1 and Vicki thinks they handle better than the Dunlops. For her, they were more stable on bumpy curves. Also, they work great on wet roads. We rode far too many miles on wet pavement over the weekend (Thurs-Sun)....about 920 miles. Also, the Diablo Strada tires stuck like glue on the wet pavement of Shadey Valley, TN on Saturday. I probably rode the ST2 faster than I ever have on wet roads and didn't have it slip the first time. They were quite confidence building in the wet.

C.R.S.
05-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Goosedog: The Metzler M1 Front / Z6 rear sounds like a good combo.

Desmo: Sounds like your a Pirelli Corsa fan.

I've checked the BT021's pricing they are up there with the Z6's.

Trying to find a better price for a Z6 type touring tire.
Do you know if Pirelli will have another buy a rear and get the front free deal.

Or should I opt for the cheaper priced Continental Conti's?

Thanks,

Desmo Demon
05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Goosedog: The Metzler M1 Front / Z6 rear sounds like a good combo.
You can also run a Pirelli Diablo front with a Metzeler ME-Z6 rear......Metzeler and Pirelli tires are pretty much interchangable, as they are the same company.

Desmo: Sounds like your a Pirelli Corsa fan.
I probably like the Diablo Strada and ME-Z6 tires more than anything else. I just can't bring myself to put the Strada or M6 on my 748, yet.....but I probably will later, once I run out of these Corsa and regular Diablo tires.

Trying to find a better price for a Z6 type touring tire.
Do you know if Pirelli will have another buy a rear and get the front free deal.
No idea if-or-when Pirelli, Metzeler, or Avon will be running another tire promotion. I heard Cycle Gear will be running a Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa sale in the next few weeks. I've heard $160 for a front and rear, but I haven't seen anything on this future promotion, yet.

Wolfman
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I heard Cycle Gear will be running a Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa sale in the next few weeks. I've heard $160 for a front and rear, but I haven't seen anything on this future promotion, yet.

I believe they are the Diablo (looking at the tread)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_1429700_G&tier2=219

Desmo Demon
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I believe they are the Diablo (looking at the tread)
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_1429700_G&tier2=219
I just now looked at it, also....I was thinking they look more like the Diablo Strada (the little tiny tread spur on the front tire tread and additional tread lines on the rear). I have no idea what the "Supersport" model tire is supposed to be.

Edit - I just called the Cycle Gear in Matthews, NC (I know the manager), and I was told that they believe it will be the regular Diablo tire....just like the promotion they ran in October.

Diablo
http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/browser/attachments/images/MOTO%20catalog_long/img_diablo.jpg

Diablo Strada
http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/browser/attachments/images/MOTO%20catalog_long/img_diablo_strada.jpg

Regardless what they are, I just ordered two sets of them. ;)

C.R.S.
05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Wolfman & Desmo thanks for the Diablo Supersport / Cycle Gear info. :applause:

I need to talk with my better half and get her blessings.

If Mama aint happy, no body's happy!!

rodm850g
05-18-2007, 07:18 AM
CRS,
You didnt say what bike you are on but it really doesn't matter...I have been running the 020 from Bstone on an 04 ST1300....sort of heavy but rides real well...I typically get 5-5500 miles from the 020's. Not bad the front is a bit annoying when heeled over it sort of has a humming ,probably from the block tread design....not unstable just annoting....I do have a set of the new 021's stashed up and as soon as the tires on my ST are shot I'm going to them. I had considered the new Avon Storms but got a deal on the 021's.... As soon as they are on I'll drop you a line....
Just a bit of tire tech on these they are using a dual tread compound on the rear with a new compound that is hard in center anddsoft on the sides....This not new technology for B stone at all they have beeen doing the same with an old H rated tire the I think BT11? I have run them on my old screen name sake for years and they handle well in the rain and dry,and give pretty good mileage for what they are.... Good luck in your choice ...
Rod

C.R.S.
05-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm on a TL1000S and as soon as I use up whats left of the existing tires I'll purchase the BTO21's. The BT021's pricing has dropped quite a bit from when they first came out. Still anxious to hear some reviews!!
Let me know your opinions when you get'em mounted?

Ride Safe

CRS,
You didnt say what bike you are on but it really doesn't matter...I have been running the 020 from Bstone on an 04 ST1300....sort of heavy but rides real well...I typically get 5-5500 miles from the 020's. Not bad the front is a bit annoying when heeled over it sort of has a humming ,probably from the block tread design....not unstable just annoting....I do have a set of the new 021's stashed up and as soon as the tires on my ST are shot I'm going to them. I had considered the new Avon Storms but got a deal on the 021's.... As soon as they are on I'll drop you a line....
Just a bit of tire tech on these they are using a dual tread compound on the rear with a new compound that is hard in center anddsoft on the sides....This not new technology for B stone at all they have beeen doing the same with an old H rated tire the I think BT11? I have run them on my old screen name sake for years and they handle well in the rain and dry,and give pretty good mileage for what they are.... Good luck in your choice ...
Rod

rodm850g
05-25-2007, 07:54 AM
C.R.S.,
I just saw your response as to your ride.....I also have a TLS...one of the original fast red ones....lil TLs humor from the old TL list...
If yours runs like mine does tire mileage is gonna be a moot point for you.....
I must admit that most of the miles on mine were put on like it was being
raced....Hard miles but fun ones....Most tires lasted me about 1500 -2500 miles....max! but they sure were fun.....I am presently burning off a set of Maxxis tires and they have done quite well....rear scuffed to the edge and I dont really try to push the front like I used to.....I did try a MEZ-4 once ....it didn't last all that long and did giv me a few surpises in turns that had a bit of litter in them.....I do like the technology in the 021 it is not new but is invative....take care and good luck....
Rodm850g

C.R.S.
05-26-2007, 10:52 AM
C.R.S.,
I just saw your response as to your ride.....I also have a TLS...one of the original fast red ones....lil TLs humor from the old TL list...
If yours runs like mine does tire mileage is gonna be a moot point for you.....
I must admit that most of the miles on mine were put on like it was being
raced....Hard miles but fun ones....Most tires lasted me about 1500 -2500 miles....max! but they sure were fun.....I am presently burning off a set of Maxxis tires and they have done quite well....rear scuffed to the edge and I dont really try to push the front like I used to.....I did try a MEZ-4 once ....it didn't last all that long and did giv me a few surpises in turns that had a bit of litter in them.....I do like the technology in the 021 it is not new but is invative....take care and good luck....
Rodm850g

Mine is also an orginal 97 TLS (supposedly the faster one, but not with my limited riding talents :confused: ) with Ohlins rear damper and running 17/39 gearing. I'm going to finish up my Front 208 and Rear Qualifier over the next month or so. Then look at getting the BT021's.

Ride Safe!!

STRETCH
04-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I ran bt021s on my zzr1200 the front would be completely trashed in 1 - 2000 miles. the rear was good for 6- 8000.

I've ran lots of different model tires from dunlop, michelin, metzler, maxis, tomahawk and continental. so far the conti road attack is my favorite.

C.R.S.
04-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I ran bt021s on my zzr1200 the front would be completely trashed in 1 - 2000 miles. the rear was good for 6- 8000.

I've ran lots of different model tires from dunlop, michelin, metzler, maxis, tomahawk and continental. so far the conti road attack is my favorite.

Howdy Stretch,

I haven't introduced myself but I believe we have talked before at the store 178 @ 11 and also over at Echo Valley Store over the past couple of years.

I'm on a black/red TL1000S, I think you were at the 178/11 store this past Sunday. I apologize for not saying Howdy sooner. If you have that blue
ZZR1200 that was sitting at the store NICE BIKE.

Oh Well back to the tire topic: I've never tried the Conti's.
How are the road attacks for mountain riding with the ZZR1200 ?
Do the attacks have round profile / slower turn in or a pointier profile / quicker turn in?
The conti's from what I've researched have good reviews and very well priced. I dont know if this is true or false: But aren't they made in Korea and possibly Shinko's are part of the Continental Tire Group????
Not Sure. Read that on some other sites!

I just dont see that many (if any) of them with the mountain bike crowd.

When I had the RF900 I ran Dunlops and Stinko/Shinko's I was lucky to get 2000 miles out of a rear tire. The shinko's are budget tires and I never really trusted them as far as pushing them any harder than a 60 - 70% percent pace.

I'm always looking for opinions on the different tires.

Hope to meet you soon!

Ride Safe

Desmo Demon
04-09-2008, 07:39 AM
I suggest buying the round black ones......unless you want to buy some of those colored Tomahawk tires, which in that case, you can't ride with us any more. :rofl2: .....well, maybe if you get some of the marbled looking ones.

http://www.cycletires.com/cycleart/gallery/spdtrip04.jpg

I think I need some yellow ones for my 748...
http://www.cycletires.com/cycleart/gallery/yeltyre03.jpg

and Vicki needs some red ones for her R1...
http://www.cycletires.com/cycleart/gallery/redtyre01.jpg

rufrydrsc2
04-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm running a BT021 rear on my gixxer. Going to get a front sometime soon. Don't suppose they have any white ones do they? LOL. Though they might get kinda dirty. LOL.

STRETCH
04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I've got a blue one on the back of my bandit. tomahawk no longer sells colored street tires and they had a bunch of blue rears (no fronts) they were selling at $35 for a 180 (i bought 2) and $40 for a 200 last winter. At that kind of price I figured they were worth a shot.

http://shop.desser.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

I suggest buying the round black ones......unless you want to buy some of those colored Tomahawk tires, which in that case, you can't ride with us any more. :rofl2: .....well, maybe if you get some of the marbled looking ones.

http://www.cycletires.com/cycleart/gallery/spdtrip04.jpg

I think I need some yellow ones for my 748...
http://www.cycletires.com/cycleart/gallery/yeltyre03.jpg

and Vicki needs some red ones for her R1...
http://www.cycletires.com/cycleart/gallery/redtyre01.jpg

http://shop.desser.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

STRETCH
04-09-2008, 10:48 PM
I love those tl1000s I want one for a track bike.

hey didn't I run into you once at ceaser head when you had your RF900? you just don't see many of those any more. I was on a silver 1200 bandit. that was my ZZR at the store thanks for the compliment.

I don't know about shinko although I've heard they were kind of slugish. I absolutely love the Conti. at least on the ZZR. the only tire I have to compare them to on that bike is the BT021.
they turn in quickly, (not as fast as a 208GP or pilot race but faster then the bt021) at no point did i feel like they want to fall in. you could always just dial in a little more lean angle without that increased resistance to turning that some tires (metzeler Z6) have at higher lean angles. mid corner corections are effortless, the tire dosen't try to stand up braking in the corners. they warm up realy fast and so far I haven't found the traction limit. but I tend to ride in a tall gear and don't hammer the gas on corner exits. I've read that they do well in the wet too but I'm alergic to rain on the bike.
so far I have put the same milage that ruined the bt021s front tire and I still have 1/2 to 2/3 of the tread left on the conti front and about the same on the rear. So i would put life on par with your average sport touring tire and grip about the same as a standard sport tire.

one more note about the conti. road attack. the tire is sensitive to tire pressure for the 600 lb zzr 38 front and 40 rear is perfect for the street. kawasaki recomends 42/42 for that bike

Howdy Stretch,

I haven't introduced myself but I believe we have talked before at the store 178 @ 11 and also over at Echo Valley Store over the past couple of years.

I'm on a black/red TL1000S, I think you were at the 178/11 store this past Sunday. I apologize for not saying Howdy sooner. If you have that blue
ZZR1200 that was sitting at the store NICE BIKE.

Oh Well back to the tire topic: I've never tried the Conti's.
How are the road attacks for mountain riding with the ZZR1200 ?
Do the attacks have round profile / slower turn in or a pointier profile / quicker turn in?
The conti's from what I've researched have good reviews and very well priced. I dont know if this is true or false: But aren't they made in Korea and possibly Shinko's are part of the Continental Tire Group????
Not Sure. Read that on some other sites!

I just dont see that many (if any) of them with the mountain bike crowd.

When I had the RF900 I ran Dunlops and Stinko/Shinko's I was lucky to get 2000 miles out of a rear tire. The shinko's are budget tires and I never really trusted them as far as pushing them any harder than a 60 - 70% percent pace.

Hope to meet you soon!

Ride Safe

C.R.S.
04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the advice on the Conti's.

Did you get yours via internet or local?

My old RF900 was burgundy!

I noticed your location is in Taylors.

I work for a local mechanical contractor in Taylors!

Well we need to hook up and hit the twisteees in the near future!

hope to see ya at de sto, weather permitting this weekend!

Ride Safe

STRETCH
04-15-2008, 09:45 PM
I'll be there, though probably on the ZZR since I'm not allowed to ride with y'all with this tire.
seriously the old bandit hasn't handled right since the accident. I guess thats the downside of mixing parts from a dozen different bikes