PDA

View Full Version : RIP - William "Billy" Trowbridge, Jr

Desmo Demon
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Not good news, but some of you here may have known Billy, also, so........

Watching the news last Monday, we saw where there was a motorcycle accident in our area and Vicki and I recognized the name. We were hoping it wasn't him, as Billy had sold his bikes a while ago, and we didn't realize he was a "Jr". We got the call from another riding friend of ours on Thursday evening confirming it......Billy is gone. :(

I first met Billy through "Peanut" about seven years ago at "The Store" (Hwy 11 and Hwy 178 in SC). Billy was always a fun and loveable guy. He got along with everyone he came across. I'd ridden with him on several occasions, I even have some video tape of both of us storming through a section of Hwy 178.

Billy was often recently seen riding his Boxer Cup Replica that he sold to Touring Sport, to eventually be bikeless. Before that, he was often seen riding his WERA racebike on the street, with a rigged headlight and taillight (an RC-51). Riding for over 30 years and racing in WERA, Billy was not a stranger to motorcycling.....

We were told that he was riding a new bike of one of his long-time friends, another WERA racer. He was putting break-in miles on the new 2007 GSX-R1000 over the last few weeks. Appearantly, he came over the crest in a hill and saw a schoolbus unloading children. We have no idea what happened, but it looks like Billy lost control of the bike, it skipping down the road, and he went into the ditch and hit a drain culvert. None of the children nor the bus were hit. We were informed that Billy died at the sceen. Even after visiting the scene of the accident with all the paint on the road and dirt, we still can't figure out what happened nor why.......

Billy will be sorely missed by many.

C.R.S.
05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I had the priviledge to ride with Mr. Trowbridge just a few times. He was always jovial and always willing to pass on a little riding advise to us Wannabees.

Mr. B. Trowbridge will be missed!

DucatiJeff
05-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Wow - that's really sad. I always hate to hear about these stories. Be careful out there everyone.

Benson
05-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry this happend to the guy.

It sounds too much like my recent get off, only I lived. How lucky I am, because I went down at about 70mph and bounced off a car with my body at close to that speed.

If I would have died at the scene, nobody would have known what happend to me either.

Yeah, I've damaged myself for life by tearing up my bad knee and bad shoulder again, but I'm alive to feel bummed about this guys death, and to have second thoughts on riding the street because of it(and what happend to me).

Rest in Peace buddy, sorry I never got to ride with ya....

Desmo Demon
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
http://www.independentmail.com/search/?q=trowbridge&image.x=14&image.y=10

PICKENS, SC — A motorcyclist in Pickens has died after stopping suddenly to avoid a school bus, officials said.

Pickens County Coroner Tommy Smith identified the man as William Trowbridge, 55, of Greenville.

Mr. Smith said Mr. Trowbridge was pronounced dead at the scene and had died of head injuries.

Lance Corporal Kathy Hiles with the South Carolina Highway Patrol said Mr. Trowbridge was traveling south at approximately 4:20 p.m. Monday on Liberia Road in Pickens when he stopped suddenly. A bus in the opposite lane was letting school children exit at the time, she said.

Lance Corporal Hiles said Mr. Trowbridge was ejected from the motorcycle and landed in a culvert.

“He just hit is at the wrong angle,” she said.

Alcohol and drugs were not thought to be a factor in the accident. The cyclist was wearing full-protective gear and a helmet, police said.

There were no other injuries and no damage to the bus, Lance Corporal Hiles said.

Suzuki Vicki
05-09-2007, 07:19 AM
I had the priviledge to ride with Mr. Trowbridge just a few times. He was always jovial and always willing to pass on a little riding advise to us Wannabees.

Billy passed on quite a few tid bits of riding wisdom to me when I first started riding. (Many,many years ago).
I'll really miss him.
He was a really nice guy, and a really good rider who will be missed by many.

Desmo Demon
04-30-2008, 07:54 AM
It's been a full year since we lost Billy. He's been very sorely missed. :(

Vicki and I are planning on going to see him at his plot when I get off of work this afternoon.

C.R.S.
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
It's been a full year since we lost Billy. He's been very sorely missed. :(

Vicki and I are planning on going to see him at his plot when I get off of work this afternoon.

In rememberance of BILLY :applause: RIP

Suzuki Vicki
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
It's so hard to believe that it's been a year already.
I still miss my dear friend badly. It seems like he should still be showing up at the store ready to run a lap or two up 178.
RIP old friend.

Desmo Demon
05-08-2009, 08:08 PM
It's a little late, but I've been a little busy with all sorts of things going on.....

Last week marked the second anniversary of Billy's death. I was busy with work and school, piecing two bikes togehter, and trying to get ready for the Ducks Along the Blue Ridge rally in Mt Airy, NC. On Saturday, we had a tour bus show up at the hotel to pick everyone up for the catered dinner at the Mt Airy country club. On the way to the country club, we passed a huge cemetery.....I peered out the window looking at all the gavesites and tombstones, and then......it hit me. I was so busy the last few days that I totally forgot about Billy. The anniversary was bad enough, but now I felt really guilty for forgetting.....I felt like a complete heel...........it took me a few minutes to regain my composure while in the back of the tour bus with Vicki....

Billy, we miss you!!!!

:(

These pictures were taken last year (2008)...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/Vicki_bikes_Billy.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/Billy_Stone.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/Terry_n_Billy.jpg

C.R.S.
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
It's a little late, but I've been a little busy with all sorts of things going on.....

Last week marked the second anniversary of Billy's death. I was busy with work and school, piecing two bikes togehter, and trying to get ready for the Ducks Along the Blue Ridge rally in Mt Airy, NC. On Saturday, we had a tour bus show up at the hotel to pick everyone up for the catered dinner at the Mt Airy country club. On the way to the country club, we passed a huge cemetery.....I peered out the window looking at all the gavesites and tombstones, and then......it hit me. I was so busy the last few days that I totally forgot about Billy. The anniversary was bad enough, but now I felt really guilty for forgetting.....I felt like a complete heel...........it took me a few minutes to regain my composure while in the back of the tour bus with Vicki....

Billy, we miss you!!!!

:(

These pictures were taken last year (2008)...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/Vicki_bikes_Billy.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/Billy_Stone.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/Terry_n_Billy.jpg

DITTO

Suzuki Vicki
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I know I'm a little late, But I still miss him every time we go out for a ride.
I wish everyone could have the blessing and privilege to know and ride with some one as good as Billy.

Desmo Demon
07-02-2011, 06:57 PM
As a reminder of how often we ride or know people through motorcycling but don't really "know" them, I was in a conversation with a buddy of mine who knew Billy.....only to find out that he didn't know Billy had passed. It's amazing how we sometimes know people, but don't really "know" them, despite viewing that person as a friend. It was a very awkward few minutes when my casual comment turned into a rehash of emotions from a few years ago as I had to inform this mutual friend that Billy was gone and was why he hadn't stopped by the shop over the last few years.

06tundra
07-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Even though I did not know Billy personally. I do know Dale and I was the guy that picked the bike up to take it back to Dale's house after the wreck. It is always shot in the heart to see or know of a fellow rider's life taken short. Until I read this thread I had forgot that it has been 4 years now.. RIP..

papadaddyo
07-03-2011, 10:44 PM
TROWBRIDGE story: Andy & i were zipping up hwy 288. when i see a solo rider, he sees us coming and moves over 2 let us easy pass. as were passing i notice hes riding an rc51 but thats it really! soon as we were both around hes up 2 speed and on andies arse. i say fuckit and gap andy, knowing andy dont just let peeps pass em easy. as im almost outta sight i see rc51 pass & close the ground on me with seaming ease. i finished the rest of hwy88 with him closely in tow. when we got 2 the store he pulled his helmet & there was a man 25 years older than me with a tracked out rc51, barely, barely street legal. he was a true sportbike enthusiast and were all less with him gone. RIP TROWBRIDGE

buddyholly
07-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I met Billy in 1984 when he and Dale brought Wendell Phillips (Lockhart Racing)
into Premier Cycles Yamaha, Kawasaki Suzuki in Greenville. We began riding together, and going to Road Atlanta to spectate. Dale had a really neat GSXR1100 set up for long distance riding; for some reason I think Billy had a Yamaha?...of course he had the Po' Folks racing Gpz-750 and a nifty Cosworth Mercedes. He was such a gentleman...after following me up a local twisty, he gently called me aside and introduced me to the term "late apex."
I was just a fearless (reckless) novice, and I gave Billy's advice great weight.
He followed me further, and told me I was doing better. To this day, I "late apex" and think of Billy as there is lane to spare on exit...James over at Suzuki of Seneca called to tell me of the accident. What a loss. I credit influences like Billy as a reason I've survived. I hope he's tearin' it up in the next reality.

Suzuki Vicki
07-04-2011, 02:11 PM
It amazes me at how much I can miss someone with whom I only hung out with when he showed up at the store. We would chat for a bit. Then haul butt up and down the mountain, then stop, BS a bit more, and with Billy, Most of the time, I would laugh until I about peed my leathers! Then off we would go, to terrorize the natives again. (Oh how I miss those days! Still missing you, my old friend!)
I've got an old video tape of him wishing me to get well when I had my accident. (Thanks P-Nut for making the tape!). He was even making me laugh on the tape. And the first time he saw me down at the store after my accident, (I was still on crutches) his face just lit up and we went inside and talked for a long time. I've only had the heart to watch that tape once since he's been gone. I't a great video and I will watch again soon. But it really makes me miss him so very much!
And to see how many people knew and loved him makes me feel better. He was a good person and it seems like he has from everywhere! He was a good all around friend to many, many people! RIP Billy, and know that you're still loved by lots of people!