PDA

View Full Version : Newbie (Kinda)

rufrydrsc2
02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey all. I was on here a few years ago, but then had to sell my bike to pay for a divorce. So now I'm back finally. GSP area here, will be riding after this coming week, and definately up for some rides.

Justin
02-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Whatcha riding nowadays?

:beer:

bode61
02-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Welcome. I feel your pain. Had to do the same thing during my divorce but decided I couldn't go bikeless too long so I got me two more!

Let us know what you get.

bode

C.R.S.
02-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Welcome to CR,

There's a growing number of the Upstate folks!

I'm down in Gray Court, and hit the mountain twistees just about every week end.

What kind of bike are you riding?
What/where type of riding?

Local bikenites when it warms up:

Wednesday Nites: Hooters - Greenville
Thursday Nites: Hooters - Anderson
Friday Nites: Bike Nite Friday's
(coordinated by Jerry Cannady not quite of the spelling.
my apologies to Jerry for the incorrect spelling)
at Back Yard Burgers - Greenville just off of Congaree @ Halton.

Post up when ready to ride!

Ride Safe,

rufrydrsc2
02-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, this long time friend has been trying to sell me his bike for years. I finally gave in. I'm picking it up next sunday. It's a mint, 7,000 mi '95 gsxr750. My last bike was a Katana 1100 w/ a stage 3 jet kit, full Vance&Hines exhaust, progressive suspension fork springs and sprockets done. I can't wait to get out riding. I love the mountains, twisties are my pleasure. I'm a very responsible social rider, nothing crazy, no stunts. Hard to find that in the sportbike crowd alot these days. I'll definately be making it out to some bike nights in Greenville, and can't wait to meet some people to ride with. I live in Spartanburg but work in Greenville and will be riding the bike to work everyday. Here's a pic of my bike.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/Bike.jpg

Justin
02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Sounds good...! VroomVroom

Don't see any pics though... :rant:

:D Welcome.

C.R.S.
02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Well, this long time friend has been trying to sell me his bike for years. I finally gave in. I'm picking it up next sunday. It's a mint, 7,000 mi '95 gsxr750. My last bike was a Katana 1100 w/ a stage 3 jet kit, full Vance&Hines exhaust, progressive suspension fork springs and sprockets done. I can't wait to get out riding. I love the mountains, twisties are my pleasure. I'm a very responsible social rider, nothing crazy, no stunts. Hard to find that in the sportbike crowd alot these days. I'll definately be making it out to some bike nights in Greenville, and can't wait to meet some people to ride with. I live in Spartanburg but work in Greenville and will be riding the bike to work everyday. Here's a pic of my bike.

Ditto Here,

The folks I ride with are ("very responsible social riders, nothing crazy, no stunts") the same way.

The week end meeting point is at the store HWY178 @ HWY11 in Pickens!

Post up when your ready!
There is someone always at the store ready to ride!!

rufrydrsc2
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I know that store. That's the spot that my buddies and I always gassed up our cars before heading off down 178.

Desmo Demon
02-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the chaos!!!!

That looks just like the bike that my ex-rommate had. It only had 9k miles when he sold his about 4 years ago. It is a shame to see a bike with so few miles. Now, set a goal to double or triple its mileage by the end of the year! :thumbsup:

Justin
02-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Hey, there's your pic.. I guess photobucket has been down for problems/maintenance etc. Looks good :thumbsup: !

rufrydrsc2
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I'm definately going to put some mileage on it here soon! Hey, just picked up my helmet today. Traded some electrical work for it.
http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/product_images/07ShoeimultitecwhtglossMD.gif

Earthshake
02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I recently found this forum and I am hoping to join some of you for a ride sometime. I'm in Greenville and I've probably already seen some of you at the store at 11/178. I ride a VFR, hope to see you soon.

rufrydrsc2
02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Welcome!

Justin
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
I ride a VFR, hope to see you soon.

Mmmmmm, they sound gooooot! :banana:

Suzuki Vicki
02-21-2008, 09:10 AM
WOW! I LOVE the bike! :thumbsup:
I have a thing for those old gixxers. :p I still have my old '94 750. And before that, I rode thousands upon thousands of miles on a '93 that I raised hell on for many years. Gawd, I loved that bike! I still miss it.:) VroomVroom
Look forward to seeing ya out some this spring/summer.

Desmo Demon
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I still have my old '94 750.
Here's some early GSXR love.....

A picture of Vicki's '94....

http://www.desmodemon.com/gsxr_right.jpg

...and a picture of her old '93...

http://www.desmodemon.com/penelope.jpg

...and her buddy's '93 GSX-R1100 that she was riding when...well.....it met an untimely death...

http://www.desmodemon.com/great_white.jpg

Suzuki Vicki
02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's some early GSXR love.....

A picture of Vicki's '94....

http://www.desmodemon.com/gsxr_right.jpg

...and a picture of her old '93...

http://www.desmodemon.com/penelope.jpg

...and her buddy's '93 GSX-R1100 that she was riding when...well.....it met an untimely death...

http://www.desmodemon.com/great_white.jpg
Hey, I said I loved them. I didn't say I could actually RIDE them......:spit:
Well, actually, I really could.
I just couldn't see around that dang curve to miss that beeeotch that ran over me!:p

rufrydrsc2
02-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, I definately look forward to riding with everyone! Nice bikes Vicki! I'm picking up the bike this Sunday. I'm going to register it on Monday and spend the day riding. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Suzuki Vicki
02-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Well, I definately look forward to riding with everyone! Nice bikes Vicki! I'm picking up the bike this Sunday. I'm going to register it on Monday and spend the day riding. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Sounds like a great way to spend a monday or any other day for that matter! I think the weather should be nice for ya.:thumbsup:
Post up when you get back and let us know how the ride goes. VroomVroom

Freaky D
02-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Yay! More folks :thumbsup: I've been out for a few puts here & there but no decent rides yet. Can't wait. I need either warmer weather or a warmer jacket. The phoenix just doesn't cut it right now brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

C.R.S.
02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I recently found this forum and I am hoping to join some of you for a ride sometime. I'm in Greenville and I've probably already seen some of you at the store at 11/178. I ride a VFR, hope to see you soon.

Welcome to CR,

I'm not sure if we've met at de sto yet!

I ride the black TLS and usually get to the Store between 1:00 & 3:00 on saturdays and sundays?

Hope to see ya soon.

Ride Safe,

rufrydrsc2
02-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Picked up my bike today. My friend that I bought it from left the ins on it and the license plate on it so i could ride it. So of course I took it out for a ride. Cold or not, it was a great ride. Bike went great. All in all I got the bike (he put his Vance & Hines SSR2 exhaust on it for me cause I liked it better than the Yoshimura), an AVG Suzuki jacket w/ removable cold weather liner, Shoei 8-ball and a KBC TK-7 helmets as well. So now I've got 3 helmets including my modular Shoei. All for $2700! Very pleased for my money.

Desmo Demon
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Shoei 8-ball
Hang that helmet on the wall for decoration. It's probably over 14 years old....Vicki has one of those, and it is a wall decoration, now.

All for $2700!
Pretty good deal! You don't see many of the older sportbikes on the road, any more, so that is an extra bonus.

Suzuki Vicki
02-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Picked up my bike today. My friend that I bought it from left the ins on it and the license plate on it so i could ride it. So of course I took it out for a ride. Cold or not, it was a great ride. Bike went great. All in all I got the bike (he put his Vance & Hines SSR2 exhaust on it for me cause I liked it better than the Yoshimura), an AVG Suzuki jacket w/ removable cold weather liner, Shoei 8-ball and a KBC TK-7 helmets as well. So now I've got 3 helmets including my modular Shoei. All for $2700! Very pleased for my money.
Sounds like you got a GREAT deal!:thumbsup:
My '94 has the Vance and Hines SSR2 on it as well. I love the way it sounds!
As Terry stated, the 8 Ball helmet is a a bit old. I still love mine though. I've had it many,many years. But we are fortunate enough to have caught a couple of sales on more recent helmets (A Shoei and a Suomy for each of us) so I can keep the 8 Ball for decoration. (Terry and I both have a thing about not tossing out our old helmets!:p )
Sounds like you had a great time with the gixxer I hope it does really well for ya! Maybe we can catch you out one day with it. I would love to see it out.

rufrydrsc2
02-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Went out and put ~160 mi on the bike today. Yeah, I don't plan on wearing the Shoei 8-ball or the KBC TK7, they just came with the bike. I'll keep them in case someone rides with me though. Yeah, I'm sure I'll see yall out sometime. I'm planning on riding alot. If yall go on some rides let me know I'd love to join.

Suzuki Vicki
02-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Went out and put ~160 mi on the bike today. Yeah, I don't plan on wearing the Shoei 8-ball or the KBC TK7, they just came with the bike. I'll keep them in case someone rides with me though. Yeah, I'm sure I'll see yall out sometime. I'm planning on riding alot. If yall go on some rides let me know I'd love to join.
Glad to see you got to put a few miles on the bike.
We may end up having a sitter this weekend. So we may end up seeing you out. I don't know just where we will end up riding to though. Probably make a GA trip or something. The NC mtns will be for crap with all the snow/ice/sand/salt. Yuck!:mad:
Guess we will know more the closer the weekend gets to being here.VroomVroom

Suzuki Vicki
02-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Yay! More folks :thumbsup: I've been out for a few puts here & there but no decent rides yet. Can't wait. I need either warmer weather or a warmer jacket. The phoenix just doesn't cut it right now brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I feel your pain. I freeze VERY easly.
I just bundle up in lots and lots of layers under my leathers. I look like the Michelin man when I'm done. But I don't care. I'm toasty warm.:cool:

rufrydrsc2
03-03-2008, 06:25 PM
New Pics! Did some cosmetic updates to the bike. Changing the color of the wheels will come next.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/030308_18071.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/030308_18063.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/030308_18062.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/030308_18061.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/030308_18051.jpg
And for reference
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/Sidebyside-1.jpg

Suzuki Vicki
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Did you just not like the way it looked? I thought is was beautiful before. :confused:
Are you going to add some color back to the tail? Or just leave it plain? (Those number plates are expensive to replace just for future reference).
Just a bit of advice, I would try to sell the rims on ebay if you are just going to repaint them. I have been searching for a factory set of pink rims for my gixxer for years now and the colored ones are usually very expensive. So, I don't know what you have in mind, but finacially you may come out better to sell the nice blue ones and buy a set of plain old black ones to paint up or whatever you want to do with them.

Desmo Demon
03-04-2008, 08:09 AM
(Those number plates are expensive to replace just for future reference).
No kidding! You'd be absolutely shocked to see the prices they want for some of those decals. I know that ONE side decal for Vicki's silver and pink GSXR is $110!!! Those tail fairing decals are around $80 each, and the ones with numberplates are generally more. Before you go ripping more decals off, it's actually cheaper to buy used fairings than it is to buy decals. You can buy another set of fairings and paint them any color you want. I bought a complete set of fairings and tank for Vicki's bike for $200. I couldn't have bought the decals for one side fairing for that price.

BTW, it is nearly impossible to find a stock, non-crashed bike that still has all of its original plastic, paint and decals.....some people would pay a premium for a bike in that condition.

rufrydrsc2
03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm not going to rip any more decals off, but I hated that big black sticker on the back of the bike. Very much dated the bike. Also wasn't crazy about the slash on the left and right covers b/c of the teal color on them. I'm going to keep it how it looks now. If I put anything back on the back it definately won't be that. If anything it'll probably be something that designates it as a 750, which I can get replica decals from a place in England for alot cheaper than yall are quoting. There's also a guy on the island of Malta that I bought the stickers for my Katana from that makes replicas and you can order them in any color you want. I'll look into selling the rims if it'll be worth it, didn't know there was a demand for them. Figured that all '95 750's that came in blue and white came w/ the same teal rims. Changing the color of the rims won't come till winter anyway cause I don't plan on letting the bike rest till then, so I'll just pick up a set of black rims between now and then to paint. Well, the bike had apparentally been down once, I found a spot on the right side near the windshield where it had gotten scraped barely. But obviously wasn't enough to do any real damage or to be noticeable.

Desmo Demon
03-05-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm not going to rip any more decals off, but I hated that big black sticker on the back of the bike. Very much dated the bike. Also wasn't crazy about the slash on the left and right covers b/c of the teal color on them. I'm going to keep it how it looks now. If I put anything back on the back it definately won't be that. If anything it'll probably be something that designates it as a 750, which I can get replica decals from a place in England for alot cheaper than yall are quoting. There's also a guy on the island of Malta that I bought the stickers for my Katana from that makes replicas and you can order them in any color you want.

The black numberplate panel made it look dated? :rofl2: Those dual headlights and squarish tail section is what makes it look dated. ;)

If you watch the old GSXR auctions on eBay, there are certain years and color schemes from '86-'95 for the 750s and up until '98 for the 1100 where they had some cool designs for tail section decals. Since blue and white are the main GSXR colors, I'm sure you could find some that you like a lot better than the originals....if you ever decide to put anything back on the tail sections, that is. If you go the reproduction route, make sure they are multicolored, as I've seen a LOT of bikes with the cheesey, single color, simple design vinyl decals and they look tacky as hell. In many cases, buying a matched pair of tail section panels would be cheaper than buying decals, anyway.

Those frame cover decals had a tendancy to wear off, which is why we never worried about the decals not being on Vicki's bike. If you would have thought to ask, we have a spare set of frame covers that are a weird flip-flop gold/blue/purple that we'd have sold you for $20 to paint any color you want. Heck, if Vicki didn't want to keep them, we have both side fairings and tail sections in solid silver, but I think she may want to keep those.

If you want to go with some different wheels, I think the Suzuki dealer in Greer (Cycle Specialities ?) had a few used ones in stock for around $50 each. The ones I saw were already a bit scratched up and one was repainted, so you can probably get a pair fairly cheap and paint/powercoat them any color you want.

I agree with riding the piss out of the bike. :applause: It needs more miles. We live with the same mentality, which is why our bikes tend to rarely get washed.

This is what Vicki's bike looked like when we first bought it....

http://www.desmodemon.com/vicki_brp.jpg

Hmmm...I don't know how teal would look on Vicki's silver and pink GSXR, maybe she'd be willing to swap rims with you. :D

rufrydrsc2
03-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I guess I wouldn't have minded the number plate so much if it had've said a number. But it just said Rgsx like it says on the front fairings. Yeah, I'll get another set of rims sometime and paint those. It's great to talk to someone that has the same bike as me, gives me a point of reference. Do yall have a preload spring adjuster? My tool kit didn't come with one. Maybe sometime if we all go on a ride you could bring it along and we could adjust my bike. I'm trying to get the suspension feeling right now. The guy that had it before me apparentally had both forks and the rear shock set to full hard.

Desmo Demon
03-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Do yall have a preload spring adjuster? My tool kit didn't come with one.
I don't recall what the shock looks like, but I believe it is just a regular, small spanner wrench. I've got a couple of spanner wrenches laying around, but on my Ducati ST2, I just used a hammer and a punch to walk the adjustment ring around. If there is too much preload on the spring, you can get a friend to lightly push down with a long bar/screwdriver wedged between a spring coil and a spot on the frame and lightly load it to take some of the preload off the spring to make moving the adjusting ring a little easier. I'd have to look at Vicki's bike to get a better idea of how it is set up.