PDA

View Full Version : Weekend riders

vfr800
03-25-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm new to the Greenville area (from Michigan). I'm looking for some people to ride with on the weekends. Usually morning(ish). I ride faster than most cruiser riders but slower than many sport riders. Most of my MI riding buddys were way faster, but I eventually catch up. If anyone is interested or already has something set up let me know.

Desmo Demon
03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the chaos!!!! :icon_welcome:

On weekends, you can usually go to The Store at the intersection of Hwy 11 and Hwy 178 in northern Pickens County and find people to ride with. That's where most of us meet before we disappear into the mountains for the day.

vfr800
03-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

vfr800
03-26-2008, 07:12 AM
I forgot to ask approx. what time does everyone meet?

Desmo Demon
03-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I forgot to ask approx. what time does everyone meet?
All day......there are some folks that get out there as early as 7am to ride the roads before they get busy with traffic.....or before the cops come out.....the majority of the people are there from 11-2, then there are some of the others of us who will stay out to play until dark. Sundays are typically busier than Saturdays, and if the cops come out to play, most people take off for other roads to have fun......You can also find people to ride with at Caesar's Head State Park up Hwy 276, quite often.

vfr800
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks !

Bucky
03-27-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm new to the Greenville area (from Michigan). I'm looking for some people to ride with on the weekends. Usually morning(ish). I ride faster than most cruiser riders but slower than many sport riders. Most of my MI riding buddys were way faster, but I eventually catch up. If anyone is interested or already has something set up let me know.

I am. ...also a Yankee, Saturday rider, and slower than many.

C.R.S.
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
All day......there are some folks that get out there as early as 7am to ride the roads before they get busy with traffic.....or before the cops come out.....the majority of the people are there from 11-2, then there are some of the others of us who will stay out to play until dark. Sundays are typically busier than Saturdays, and if the cops come out to play, most people take off for other roads to have fun......You can also find people to ride with at Caesar's Head State Park up Hwy 276, quite often.

:iagree:

Welcome to the Upstate CR crew. Where abouts are you located?

Many good twistee roads up this way!

Ride Safe ! Hope to see ya at the store. I'm on a black & Red TL1000S.

vfr800
03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Close to Greenville SC. I ride a White '06 VFR800 or occasionaly a Black '93 CB750. Helmets match the bikes (of course). I will be out soon, if not this weekend then next.

Justin
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Looks like I'm not too far from ya... welcome to the area :Gum: .

drinkoj
03-31-2008, 01:19 PM

New to this forum so HI! I typically leave work at 2:30pm on Saturdays out of Greenville, head home to Anderson, and take off into the mountains for an hour or so of riding around 178 or just get lost on the country roads. Just depends if the wife or kid wants to ride too, but I can leave them out of the loop. hehe

Sundays are typically my primary ride days, so post a date and I'll try and hook up with ya. Might drag another V4 rider or two with us also (Sabre and Magna)

Desmo Demon
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Might drag another V4 rider or two with us also (Sabre and Magna)
Dern......and for a second I thought you rwere talking about Ducati Desmosedici bikes. :rofl:

C.R.S.
03-31-2008, 08:35 PM
New to this forum so HI! I typically leave work at 2:30pm on Saturdays out of Greenville, head home to Anderson, and take off into the mountains for an hour or so of riding around 178 or just get lost on the country roads. Just depends if the wife or kid wants to ride too, but I can leave them out of the loop. hehe

Sundays are typically my primary ride days, so post a date and I'll try and hook up with ya. Might drag another V4 rider or two with us also (Sabre and Magna)

Welcome also to the Upstate CR.

There's a fella that works at Foothills Power Sports (Powdersville) that also has the V65 Magna his name is Greg and I've ridden with him numerous times over the years up and down 178 and 215. May want to stop in, he is an expert on the Magna's.

I also frequent the twistees around 178 and 11.

Hope to see the new folks soon!

Ride Safe!

drinkoj
04-01-2008, 01:34 AM
C.R.S.

Believe Greg hangs out at one of the honda v4 BBS forums, as one of the guys I know has met him before. One of my riding buddies is my mechanic and we do all the work to my bike, he rides a Magna also.

Hope to met you soon...if it will just stop raining (ruined Helen just last weekend for me already).

vfr800
04-01-2008, 08:15 AM
V2's, V3's, V4's, whatever it takes !

I tend to ride on Sunday mornings primarily. My wife is usually cool with that. I ventured up to Caeser Head this past weekend and found the approach road to be quite twisty. Seems that Greenville is on the edge of some pretty good riding country. I am stoked to get out. I will try for this next weekend (6-apr). The weather looks to be clear and warm, perfect for riding.

Desmo Demon
04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Seems that Greenville is on the edge of some pretty good riding country.
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

"pretty good"....just "pretty good"?

Try....."Seems Greenville is on the edge of some of the best motorcycling roads in the country". :reddancer:

C.R.S.
04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

"pretty good"....just "pretty good"?

Try....."Seems Greenville is on the edge of some of the best motorcycling roads in the country". :reddancer:

Some of us are already on de EDGE aint dat right Desmo & Vickie!

See Ya

Suzuki Vicki
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Some of us are already on de EDGE aint dat right Desmo & Vickie!

See Ya
I'm not on the egde of anything yet. (Innocent whistling in background)
Still just trying to formulate the perfect plan to get rid of Terry and cash in on that insurance money. That's about all the edge I'm on. This looks like a good "accident": :bricks: I was just going to try the old screw up his brakes plan, but he won't let me near his bikes.:conf44:

Desmo Demon
04-01-2008, 03:56 PM
but he won't let me near his bikes.:conf44:
You're just afraid that if you break something and I can blame you, I'm going out and buying another bike! :wheelie:

rufrydrsc2
04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Do you need that reason to go out and buy another bike? Or any reason at all??

drinkoj
04-02-2008, 12:12 AM

Sure you do. I used the excuse that it was better for me to buy a bike in FL than flying back home; not a real winner of an excuse. But then the wife brought a puppy home that I did NOT want in the house, so she gets the puppy and I got a FZ1 with no "honey due lists". Fair trade don't you think? :applause:

Desmo Demon
04-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Any reason will do.......I'm having a difficult time trying to talk myself into buying two more bikes, though. I found excellent deals on identical bikes, but the wife and I just can't bring ourselves to do it......but we really want to.

We've discussed it for over a week now, and I know all the details like insurance quotes, property tax fees, loan payments, route to drive, estimated gas for the round-trip, how to make room for them with the other bikes.......we just can't seem to push ourselves over the edge, yet. Having six bikes and enough parts to build a seventh is making it more difficult to "justify" more bikes. We try to ride all of them, so you start getting into issues of bikes not being ridden much, something always needing maintenace (tires), and the cost of insurance on all of them......between the two of us, we did manage about 36k miles on bikes, last year, though.

rufrydrsc2
04-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey, just out of curiosity where did yall get extra fairings for Vicki's GSXR? I'm looking to get another set of fronts, upper and lower.

C.R.S.
04-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Hats Off to the Desmo & Vickie Motorcycle Collection.

MMMMMM What Hat/Motorcycle should I wear/ride today!!

It must be good to have multiple steeds to choose from! :applause:

Looks like Sunday I'll be on the road again finally.

Doing Biker Sunday Church Service at Clinton First Baptist for Sunday Morning service then head to the store (178 @ 11) hope to arrive around 1 or 2 PM.

Ride Safe

drinkoj
04-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Doing Biker Sunday Church Service at Clinton First Baptist for Sunday Morning service then head to the store (178 @ 11) hope to arrive around 1 or 2 PM.

Ride Safe

Sounds like a plan since it's going to be good weather finally. I've got to check with the warden and see if I can get away (which church service attending, kids, lawn, honey-do-list, etc). If I can I'll post here Saturday and hopefully I can met up with several of you.

rufrydrsc2
04-03-2008, 01:19 AM

Ride Safe

Clinton First Baptist huh? I grew up in Clinton. My parents still live there.

Desmo Demon
04-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Hey, just out of curiosity where did yall get extra fairings for Vicki's GSXR? I'm looking to get another set of fronts, upper and lower.
eBay......eBay can be your friend.......I bought the whole set of fairing (minus headlight fairing) for $200 off of eBay a year or two ago. The original owner (a guy) didn't like the pink, so he tore off all of the original decals. It was going to cost about $500 to replace the decals, so when I found the set of plastic for $200, I had to buy it. I also have a minty gas tank that I only paid $28 for. The headlight fairings are nearly impossible to find. I've got a spare that needs a little more plastic welding, but it is useable. I've been playing around with some plastic weldign lately, so if you find something needing a little bit of work, I may be able to assist you. You can see what I did a couple of weeks ago to Vicki's GSXR here...

http://www.desmodemon.com/plastic_welding/

Desmo Demon
04-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Vicki should be out on Friday and both of us on Saturday and Sunday, but.....we'll probably have to get back home a little early to await the return of the Holy Terror Demon Child coming back from Grammie's.

C.R.S.
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Clinton First Baptist huh? I grew up in Clinton. My parents still live there.

Howdy,

I'm just up the road from Clinton. A fellow rider from our Church in Gray Court told me about this. We are meeting at our Church around 9 then heading down to Clinton 1st Baptist, the service starts at 10:00.
My regular riding bud is in Mountville and he is also gonna be at the service.
After the service, me and my riding bud will be heading up to the store. Hopefully to arrive between 1 & 2 PM if not earlier!

I'm not sure what the service will be like, the guest speaker is a former hell's angel. Should be a great service!

This sounds like it might be a good excuse to visit your folks ! :scooter:

Catcha Ya Later!!

vfr800
04-05-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm going riding tomorrow (6-apr-08) morning and I'm going to head up to the strore sometime in the mid AM. If anyone is going to ride I'll look for you there. I haven't met anyone yet so please tell me what kind of bike do you ride.

I will be riding a white VFR800, white helmet and probably accompanied by a V-Max.

C.R.S.
04-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm going riding tomorrow (6-apr-08) morning and I'm going to head up to the strore sometime in the mid AM. If anyone is going to ride I'll look for you there. I haven't met anyone yet so please tell me what kind of bike do you ride.

I will be riding a white VFR800, white helmet and probably accompanied by a V-Max.

There should be some folks there that early!

If your still around early afternoon 1 or 2 PM, I'll be on a TL1000S Black/Red.
Hope to see ya sometime on Sunday at de store.

Ride Safe

vfr800
04-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Actually I may be there in the afternoon instead. The V-Max guy has chores to do in the AM. I'll try to be there between 1-2.

I'll look for the red and black TL1000S

drinkoj
04-05-2008, 03:49 PM
IF I can make it I will be riding one of these two bikes:

1996 Red Magna, wearing black pants, yellow jacket, maroon flip up helmet, and a girl wearing a pink helmet and jacket.

OR

2002 Blue FZ1, wearing black pants, yellow jacket, maroon flip up helmet.

So basically if I can make it, look for the guy wearing a yellow jacket and maroon flip up helmet. :)

C.R.S.
04-05-2008, 11:40 PM
This is what I'll be ridin and wearin!

Catch ya later:olderrr:

Suzuki Vicki
04-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I'll be pretty easy to spot. Chances are, I'll be the only girl riding a red/black and white R1. wearing blue/black and white 1 piece leathers. I'm not sure which bike Terry will be ridng today. (Mine was an easy choice the R1 was still dirty from riding in the rain Friday. :))
Well, that is if we actually make it out. Terry has been a little under the weather this weekend so I'm not sure what he will feel like doing.:eusa_boohoo:

rufrydrsc2
04-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Wow, I really want to be riding today. :( Damned I-85 driver.

C.R.S.
04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
VFR800 & drinkoj,

Did yall make it out today??

VFR800 : wekneedragger said he saw you 10 minutes before I got there.
I arrived around 2.

Hope yall had good rides today!

Hope next weekends weather is clear!

See Ya

drinkoj
04-07-2008, 12:37 AM
VFR800 & drinkoj,

Did yall make it out today??

VFR800 : wekneedragger said he saw you 10 minutes before I got there.
I arrived around 2.

Hope yall had good rides today!

Hope next weekends weather is clear!

See Ya

I didn't get up to 178, practiced soccer with my children. I did get out riding on both bikes with one of my kids, but just around town and in the country. Found that an FZ1 is not the best 2-up bike and the Magna still has a purpose with my family. :applause:

Desmo Demon
04-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Terry has been a little under the weather this weekend so I'm not sure what he will feel like doing.:eusa_boohoo:
I absolutely hate sinus issues....I feel like a St Bernard.

We got out for a little bit yesterday (Sunday). Saturday was a bust with the weather. Yesterday we took some back roads over toward Caesar's Head, then up through the Pisgah Forest, just north of Brevard. Up near the BRP it got pretty foggy, so instead of taking the BRP, we shot down the backside of the mountain and hit 215 back south. Made it a couple miles down Hwy 178 outside of Rosman when the R1 decided that it wasn't going to ride off the power of the battery, any more.......Research shows the regulators on that thing ranging between $55 and $100, depending on which stealership you want to contend with.....naturally, online is a whole lot cheaper. ;)

PUSkunk
04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
That was about my route, but I didn't head up towards the parkway. I got to the store at 178/11 about 11:15a, there was no one there, so I headed up 178. Stopped to check on a guy who wadded his GSXR1000, he was ok. Went to Rosman, then 64 to 130 back down into SC, then over to the store, talked bikes with some people there. Then up 276 to Caesar's Head, then I found a fast corner down towards Bald Rock and shot bikes coming up and down the mountain. Shared some of them down at Echo Valley with the riders whose pictures I had taken. If anyone came down or up 276 between 1:30 and 3:30 or so, I might have shot you. I'll post a link once I get everything edited.

Desmo Demon
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Stopped to check on a guy who wadded his GSXR1000, he was ok.
Was that the blue and white one that looked like it went into the ditch near the "Blind Camp" (the ditch was on the north-bound side). I saw them sitting on the side of the road with the bike and a few buddies in a driveway when I went to get our car and trailer. Then, when I came back by, they were loading the GSXR onto a truck/trailer. It was a weird place to crash, if that is where it happened.

vfr800
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I did make it to the store at 1:30. No one showed up so I waited until 2:10 and then took off. I rode up 178 to 64 then into Brevard thru the Pisgah park and then the Blue Ridge parkway the home. All and all a good ride. 200 miles round trip on one tank of gas, though my ass is only designed for around 100 miles.

I would still like to learn the roads near the store and meet up with some other riders. Let me know when you will be out so that I can finally meet some of you.

Desmo Demon
04-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I did make it to the store at 1:30. No one showed up so I waited until 2:10 and then took off.
I went by there on my way to get the car and trailer abotu 1:45, but didn't stop. I thought I saw your white VFR there.

STRETCH
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I absolutely hate sinus issues....I feel like a St Bernard.

We got out for a little bit yesterday (Sunday). Saturday was a bust with the weather. Yesterday we took some back roads over toward Caesar's Head, then up through the Pisgah Forest, just north of Brevard. Up near the BRP it got pretty foggy, so instead of taking the BRP, we shot down the backside of the mountain and hit 215 back south. Made it a couple miles down Hwy 178 outside of Rosman when the R1 decided that it wasn't going to ride off the power of the battery, any more.......Research shows the regulators on that thing ranging between $55 and $100, depending on which stealership you want to contend with.....naturally, online is a whole lot cheaper. ;)

I must have past you :confused: was that your group stopped at 215/B.R.P. around 3:00 i rode 178-215-276 in the afternoon and 178 - 215 - BRP and back in the a.m. with a new rider. I guess I'm going to have to brake down and mail that pingel bracket to ya.

STRETCH
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
That was about my route, but I didn't head up towards the parkway. I got to the store at 178/11 about 11:15a, there was no one there, so I headed up 178. Stopped to check on a guy who wadded his GSXR1000, he was ok. Went to Rosman, then 64 to 130 back down into SC, then over to the store, talked bikes with some people there. Then up 276 to Caesar's Head, then I found a fast corner down towards Bald Rock and shot bikes coming up and down the mountain. Shared some of them down at Echo Valley with the riders whose pictures I had taken. If anyone came down or up 276 between 1:30 and 3:30 or so, I might have shot you. I'll post a link once I get everything edited.

nice to meet you. I was the guy on the dark blue ZZR1200 with givi bags at the store on 178.

STRETCH
04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
for those of you who only stop at the store on sundays, your missing a great breakfast. some times I ride out there just to get a buiscuit. unfortunately the grill isn't open on sundays.

PUSkunk
04-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Was that the blue and white one that looked like it went into the ditch near the "Blind Camp" (the ditch was on the north-bound side). I saw them sitting on the side of the road with the bike and a few buddies in a driveway when I went to get our car and trailer. Then, when I came back by, they were loading the GSXR onto a truck/trailer. It was a weird place to crash, if that is where it happened.

I'm not sure where the blind camp is, but from your description, yes. I met him later down at Echo Valley, he had changed and was ok, and the bike was on the trailer. I think the bike was new, he described to me what happened, he got on it hard in a wet spot, back end spun up, he went wide, headshake then highside. Whee. I've got pictures, but I'm actually editing them right now as I write this, I'll post them later.

PUSkunk
04-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey man, nice to meet you too Stretch. Yeah, I asked you if you had ABS, I don't think I'd ever seen a ZZR1200 in person.

Desmo Demon
04-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I must have past you :confused: was that your group stopped at 215/B.R.P. around 3:00 i rode 178-215-276 in the afternoon and 178 - 215 - BRP and back in the a.m. with a new rider. I guess I'm going to have to brake down and mail that pingel bracket to ya.
It was just Vicki and me riding, and her bike took the crap about 1:30. We never slower down at the BRP, either time we passed it........With the weather and roads not being ideal, I figured you would have waited a little while before heading to the store......fighting this sinus cold and feeling like crap didn't make me want to leave sooner than we did, so I used it as an excuse. :hiding: Mailing the bracket or making arrangements to meet, again, may work. I'm in no rush to get it. It is looking like we will pass on the two CBR1000RR bikes.......evernthough it would be sweet to get them.

C.R.S.
04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Good Morning,

My timing to meet some of the new folks at de sto always fails! ARRRRRG!

I'll try it again this weekend, weather permitting of course!

See Ya

Desmo Demon
04-08-2008, 11:39 AM
My timing to meet some of the new folks at de sto always fails! ARRRRRG!

Yeah......it's your timing......that's what it is.....Did you ever think that maybe we are.....

:hiding:

C.R.S.
04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah......it's your timing......that's what it is.....Did you ever think that maybe we are.....

:hiding:

That thought had crossed my mind!

Oh Yea I hope your feeling better!!

Instead of this :hiding: I'll help toss a few atya :bricks: He He He!

Now dont go and rake me over the hot coals with the sign language like you did last time. My better half couldn't stop laffing when she saw the previous episode.

Later!

Desmo Demon
04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh Yea I hope your feeling better!!
I'm starting to kick this sinus/allergy crap......and surfing around at used Bimotas and Aprilias. VroomVroom

I need to get that Paso on the road before I beg with Vicki to let me get another bike.....I've got the itch bad.....real BAD.....kinda in a cheap whore with crabs kinda way. :puke:

Maybe I'll get the blue TLS from Foothills.....if they'd come down $2000.

C.R.S.
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm starting to kick this sinus/allergy crap......and surfing around at used Bimotas and Aprilias. VroomVroom

I need to get that Paso on the road before I beg with Vicki to let me get another bike.....I've got the itch bad.....real BAD.....kinda in a cheap whore with crabs kinda way. :puke:

Maybe I'll get the blue TLS from Foothills.....if they'd come down $2000.

Found an RC51 on Wade Hampton at a used car lot yesterday asking a little over 6K. I'll find out more details today. I'll call ya via cell! with more info.

PUSkunk
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Here's the shots of the wadded gixxer I promised:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2113/2397769371_8f9c9bc671.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/2397778155_e1f4197229.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2066/2398617014_15f87a833b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/2398624902_1333222411.jpg

Full set of pictures from 276 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/puskunk/sets/72157604445055786/

C.R.S.
04-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Looks like the bike wasn't damaged too bad and the I'm assuming the guy in the last pic was the rider.

I hope he was OK.

How did it happen?

PUSkunk
04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Looks like the bike wasn't damaged too bad and the I'm assuming the guy in the last pic was the rider.

I hope he was OK.

How did it happen?

Yeah he was fine. See earlier in this thread for more explanation, but the short version is: he got on it hard, went wide, headshake, highside and then what you see here. I saw him 7 hours later at Echo Valley, he had changed clothes and looked good.

Desmo Demon
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Found an RC51 on Wade Hampton at a used car lot yesterday asking a little over 6K. I'll find out more details today. I'll call ya via cell! with more info.
There's a 2003 in Laurens on eBay with less than 5000 miles on it with a BIN of $6500. Vicki informed me that if we don't buy two bikes, there will not be a bike bought. :hiding:

Here's the shots of the wadded gixxer I promised:
Yeah, that's the guy I saw. I thought it was a really weird place to wreck. Not a technical section by any means, but a guy wound up in a ditch/smacked the side of the hill in a fairly straight section just outside of Rocky Bottom, last year. That one still baffles me. I mean, I can understand at the decreasing radius curves with the off-camber just before Rocky Bottom as you head north, but some of the straighter sections are just weird places to lose it.

Justin
04-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, everybody made crazy hours then this past weekend then... :bricks:

Kim and I got to the Store at 6pm :eusa_boohoo: ... continued north up through Rosman, explored a little bit, over to Brevard and back down through Caesars Head SP. My GPS was telling me we'd be back at 8pm, well I had forgot to set the time fwd 1 hour on it.... opppps, no biggie, still had a fun time out. Saw probably only 5 bikes out the whole time! :scooter: