PDA

View Full Version : Damn I-85

rufrydrsc2
04-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Well, I'm afraid I'll be down for a week or so. Some lady wrecked me on I-85 Wed morning. I was going south in line to get off 85 onto 385 and she comes barrelling up, jumps in between me and the truck I was following and then slams on her brakes to slow down to traffic speed. I swerved enough to keep from hitting her car and that I went down on the emergency lane so I wouldn't get run over. Bike's a bit rashed, I was wearing my gear fortunately so I'm good. Got my right knee a bit skint up and twisted some so I'm limping around a bit. Of course she didn't stop, it was more important that she got to work on time. For now I'm sure I'll be riding it a bit rashed up as I'm not in the position to go out and buy all that is needed to fix. I've already got some flush mount direction lights that I had for my last bike so I'll be putting those on as it took away my right light. All in all the bike faired very well. So I guess it's time to see about some different paint job. I'm thinking something like this. Forgive the roughness as it was done in ~5 min on paint.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/rufrydrsc2/Rightsideconcept.jpg

Suzuki Vicki
04-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Damn! I hate that. I'm glad that you're OK for the most part.
I don't know why people won't wake up, get their head out of their a$$es and pay some dagum attention! :rant:
Years ago, I had a guy in a white Ford pickup on I-26 look straight at me (I was right beside his drivers window) and pull into my lane. I managed to not wreck and still kick a great big dent in his door. :applause: :hsfu:
Sometimes it just baffles me. I don't know if these drivers are just that stupid, or just that evil and don't care if they kill or maim someone.:rant::thgatlin:

drinkoj
04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Sorry to hear you went down. And YES, I-85 was full of stupid cagers not paying attention to the road Wednesday. Seems that stupid cellphone in the right hand and cancer stick in the left hand while flipping ashes out the window, only leaves their knees to drive with; really had one doing that turning onto I-185 Exit 42 where I turn also. Actually had a few other cagers showing their poor driving skills up head on the interstate, but not near me thank God.

Finally had to laugh at things when I was on the West End of Greenville. Light went red on a 4 lane area, I and another car were both coming to a stop and I decided to get behind her in the right lane. As I'm doing this she stops with a full car length plus, before the white line where you are supposed to stop at (the one right before the pedestrian crosswalk lines) and I'm basically stuck on the dashed lines between two lanes because I judged my timing and position on that extra 4 feet. We get out of that situation and we have to stop at another light. She again stops, giving almost 2 car lengths between her and the car in front of her. I just had to laugh as I just found the only person in Greenville that gives enough space between vehicles at lights and I'm behind them instead of having them behind me. The lady wasn't a bad driver, didn't do anything wrong, but it just topped off things because it's odd to see a car give that much space, when most of the time they are trying to crawl on the back of my motorcycle with me or on the bumper of other cars at red lights.

rufrydrsc2
04-04-2008, 08:13 AM
LOL, that's too funny. Yeah, this lady was trying to hitch a ride on the truck in front of me. What's so bad is that there was just barely enough room for her to squeeze her car in w/o touching me or the guy infront of me. But if I left less room I'dve been too close to him. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Benson
04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
It sucks you went down, I do have a question.

If you were wearing your "gear", how did your knee get "skint" up?

It's my guess, like the vast majority of street riders, knee pads aren't a part of your "Gear"? :spank

C.R.S.
04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm glad your OKAY!!

What time did it happen?

I fight the "to the job traffic zoo" of 385 @ 85 every business morning between 7:15 and 8:00 then "to the home traffic zoo" every evening between 5:00 and 6:00.

I'm very familiar with the Cell Phonin, Make-up putin onin, paper reading, breakfast eating, parents fussing at their kids and drivers not payin attention cagers on 385.
The intersect of 385 @ 85 has always been dangerous and the Woodruff Rd.
exit at 385 South Bound. During the afternoon zoo home there are so many that will merge onto 385 off of 85 causing alot of panic lane shifts and stops, its getting worse all the time.

Morning commute: if you can reach 385 @ 85 by 7:15, no issues.

Afternoon commute: I usually work a little over and try to hit 385 @ 85 around 5:45 or 6:00, still alot of traffic but not to bad. There will be times I'll hit it at 6:15 - 6:30 no issues at all.
Fortunately cyclegear is on the way and I'll stop in and talk with them before heading to the homestead. Trying to avoid the 385 zoo at rush hour!!

I drive my F150 to and from work during the week. I dont have the backbone to try the bike (at these times) with these nuts out there.

Hope your healing up okay and it want take you long to get your GSXR back together.

Ride Safe!

rufrydrsc2
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM
No, I wasn't wearing armored pants, those are on my list of gear to get. Gotta get it as finances allow. I know I need them, just haven't been able to get em. Yeah, I usually get to work @ 7 so I miss most of the zoo, but that morning I was getting there @ 8. Hey, you ride by cyclegear in the afternoon? I have been working on the RBC buildings across the street for the last 3 months. I'll be working there for most of the year probably. If you see a guy on a big boom truck working on one of the buildings say hey. It'll be me. Where do you work?

drinkoj
04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm glad your OKAY!!

Afternoon commute: I usually work a little over and try to hit 385 @ 85 around 5:45 or 6:00, still alot of traffic but not to bad. There will be times I'll hit it at 6:15 - 6:30 no issues at all.

Ride Safe!

You've got to be riding south bound or something (although I'm reading it as though you live toward Duncan/Spart). At 5:45pm going north on I-85 it's basically a parking lot from mile marker 52 through mile marker 56. Every rubber necker has to basically stop on the middle of their lane, walk over to the officer, and then ask him if he'll move to the side so that they can get a better look at the wreck or the body. :rant: I rode that stretch for 3 years until just recently and hated it. I have literally sat at marker 51 for over 20 minutes, with another friend at marker 53, only to find out that a car was in the emergancy lane broke down right where lanes merge and the guard rail starts and the SHEP truck was helping them out. THAT WAS IT! :rant: And let's not even talk about holiday seasons.

C.R.S.
04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
No, I wasn't wearing armored pants, those are on my list of gear to get. Gotta get it as finances allow. I know I need them, just haven't been able to get em. Yeah, I usually get to work @ 7 so I miss most of the zoo, but that morning I was getting there @ 8. Hey, you ride by cyclegear in the afternoon? I have been working on the RBC buildings across the street for the last 3 months. I'll be working there for most of the year probably. If you see a guy on a big boom truck working on one of the buildings say hey. It'll be me. Where do you work?

Yea I've seen the work going at RBC for a while. Pass it every day

I am a project manager for a mechanical contractor in Taylors, not to far from the new Dunkin Donuts on Wade Hampton Blvd.

I'll stop by next week, I'm in a white F150 extended cab.
If this is a construction site is it OK to stop in. Dont want to interrupt your schedule.

Thanks,

rufrydrsc2
04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, It's not a construction site. We do building restoration, leak repair, exterior cleaning, and other envelope issues. I finished the paver repair on the RBC building that I was doing, and now I'm starting a roof anchor install on the IBM building up the hill. I'll shoot you a PM w/ my number and you can give me a call when you're going to stop by and I'll come down and chat w/ you for a few. You won't interrupt my schedule, we're pretty flexable and I don't really have anyone to answer to on my jobs. We've probably worked on some of the same jobs. Sometimes we do work on new construction, mostly caulking work on expansion joints.

Benson
04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
No, I wasn't wearing armored pants, those are on my list of gear to get. Gotta get it as finances allow. I know I need them, just haven't been able to get em.

Almost no street riders consider knee pads gear, the ignorance of it amazes me, when it's so easy and cheap to have kneepads on every time you get on a bike.

Just get some $20 dollar motox kneepads and slip then under your pants. That way you will have them on EVERY TIME you ride, instead of only when your wearing your riding pants. (Your not gonna wear the pants every time you ride, trust me)

I was wearing these last year when I went down at close to 70mph. Not a single skin cell was lost to road rash, and I wasn't wearing any leather other than in my boots and gloves.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/FastBenson/BIKES/BensonBikes/Benson%20Crash%2003%2009%202007/BensonCrash03092007RKneePad.jpg

When I was 25(I'm 44 now) I sunk my knee about 8 inches into the fender of an old man's car(who pulled in front of me while I was riding), and I walked away because I was wearing kneepads. (Construction kneepads, over my pants in that instance)

You can see the Construction knee pads I was wearing over my pants in that collision, in this pic of me going camping with my dog back in that era.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/FastBenson/BIKES/BensonBikes/90s/BensonCudaDR650topofSilveradoMotorw.jpg

rufrydrsc2
04-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I'll have to get some. I've got to go to CycleGear this week to get some new bar ends so I'll pick up a pair of knee pads as well.

Suzuki Vicki
04-06-2008, 06:50 AM
You can see the Construction knee pads I was wearing over my pants in that collision, in this pic of me going camping with my dog back in that era.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/FastBenson/BIKES/BensonBikes/90s/BensonCudaDR650topofSilveradoMotorw.jpg
Ok, Where's the dog's knee pads?:conf44: ;)
I LOVE that pic!!! I have bungee netted lots of things on the back of my bikes, but I have never bungee netted a dog! What's so cool is that the dog is just chillin' out with it and seems to be quite content. I love it!:applause::cool:
I used to take my boss's dog(a little poodle) with me. I would put a tank bag on and roll up the top of it and he would sit in the bag. That little dog loved to ride. He quickly became my riding buddy. We went all over the Blue Ridge Parkway and lesser traveled roads in WNC. Unfortunatly several years ago, he got to be so old and was in pain all the time, and couldn't hardly move that Debbie decided to have him put to sleep. I actually cried when she called me. I still miss that little fella.:(

Benson
04-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Ok, Where's the dog's knee pads?:conf44: ;)
I LOVE that pic!!! I have bungee netted lots of things on the back of my bikes, but I have never bungee netted a dog! What's so cool is that the dog is just chillin' out with it and seems to be quite content. I love it!:applause::cool:
I used to take my boss's dog(a little poodle) with me. I would put a tank bag on and roll up the top of it and he would sit in the bag. That little dog loved to ride. He quickly became my riding buddy. We went all over the Blue Ridge Parkway and lesser traveled roads in WNC. Unfortunatly several years ago, he got to be so old and was in pain all the time, and couldn't hardly move that Debbie decided to have him put to sleep. I actually cried when she called me. I still miss that little fella.:(

He was a special dog. He just had a desire to please me and a bond with me that was so strong he would have done anything I asked him to, and often did things that were remarkable on his own without any prompting on my part.
I only rode him on the bike the one time though, because he just really hated it.
(I waited 17 years for my friend Ed to send me that pic too:hsfu: )

He loved riding on the bicycle though....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/FastBenson/CUDAonCruiserwithBensonAnaheimCal1993SylvanstA1cro p.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/FastBenson/CUDAonCruiseraloneAnaheimCal1993SylvanstC.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/FastBenson/1990CudaandEricatChiefsChevrononbike.jpg

Or just sitting on one of my bikes was fun for him....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/FastBenson/CudaSittingonIT465PisgahStForestNHI.jpg

Suzuki Vicki
04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Those pix are so cool! I think it is wonderful when you can look at a picture and are able to see the love and trust in a critters face for it's owner.
I have been fortunate enough in life to have had several animal friends. I guess I'm just one of thos folks who would rather be around animals than people. I find that most animals are more trustworthy and honest than many people. And if you treat them right, you have a friend for life.

rufrydrsc2
04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, I found a solution to the decal dilemma. My dad who is a retired auto body repairman suggested that we paint them on instead of buying them. He's very good at what he does so it'll come out nice. I'm thinking going with the design on page 1, and then doing the SUZUKI in silver paint that matches the trim, then R in red, GSX in matching silver, 750 laced on the tail fairing, and small suzuki S symbols inlaid in the blue paint all over. Kinda like ghost symbols.