PDA

View Full Version : New shoes

maddmax_33
05-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I am in need of new shoes for my Suzuki DR650. I ride street only, and the stock tires only gave me 2000 miles. Where is a good place in the Greer/Taylors area to get tires mounted?

Thanks, Madmax

C.R.S.
05-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Try CycleScene on Wadehampton Blvd. towards Greer
:hiding:

maddmax_33
05-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey thanks, I'll give them a try. I never knew Cycle Scene actually does the work. I thought they were only a retailer.

Justin
05-16-2008, 12:06 PM
If you want to learn... you'd be welcome to stop by Monday or Tuesday eve and we can knock it out. Is super easy on a ds. :scooter:

C.R.S.
05-19-2008, 09:57 PM
How are the New Shoes, got'm mounted yet?

:hiding:

maddmax_33
06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Finally received my new shoes. I ordered Cheng Shin's from Biker Bandit. I decided on Street tires as opposed to Dual Sport....prolly a mistake, but too late now. I have called around and it seems the going price for mounting balancing tires is $35/tire. Sound fair?

Justin - You have a Dual Sport (KLR?) right? Do you balance your new tires? Is it always necessary?

Thanks

Justin
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I have called around and it seems the going price for mounting balancing tires is $35/tire. Sound fair?

Justin - You have a Dual Sport (KLR?) right? Do you balance your new tires? Is it always necessary?

Thanks
Hey Max,
I don't balance the dual sport/dirt tires, typically if out of balance you will only notice some vibrations above ~80mph.... and I don't ride that fast on those bikes, well for very long anyway, so pointless for me.

$35-45 is normal I think for a shop when you bike the tire from the internet. If you buy the tire from their shop, they charge less, maybe $25. Cycle Gear has flat fees posted of $20/bought there, $30/walk-in.

I'll charge you a 6-pack of Sam Adams :buddies: , if you can wait until July 9th or so.

maddmax_33
07-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Hey Max,
I don't balance the dual sport/dirt tires, typically if out of balance you will only notice some vibrations above ~80mph.... and I don't ride that fast on those bikes, well for very long anyway, so pointless for me.

$35-45 is normal I think for a shop when you bike the tire from the internet. If you buy the tire from their shop, they charge less, maybe $25. Cycle Gear has flat fees posted of $20/bought there, $30/walk-in.

I'll charge you a 6-pack of Sam Adams :buddies: , if you can wait until July 9th or so.

Justin - Make it a 12 pack and you've got a deal, Man! Anytime after July 9 is cool for me. I still have a few hundred miles left on the rear. I was talking to a service Manager at a local moto shop last week. He said that DS bikes (or at least my DR) doesn't need to be balanced because the tires/rims were premarked from the factory and as long as the "markings" are lined up correctly....no problem.

Thanks

Justin
07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
That's cool, I'll send you a message on Sunday or Monday. :scooter:

Justin
07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Madmax stopped over on Sunday... showed up with a few beverages we got to work. His stock tire was surprisingly tight on the bead but we got it off after a little work. The front popped right off silky smooth though. His bike needs to get put through some mud :bricks:. That thing was cllleeeeeeeaaaannn!

:buddies:

maddmax_33
07-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Madmax stopped over on Sunday... showed up with a few beverages we got to work. His stock tire was surprisingly tight on the bead but we got it off after a little work. The front popped right off silky smooth though. His bike needs to get put through some mud :bricks:. That thing was cllleeeeeeeaaaannn!

:buddies:

Yeah it's clean....guess I'm just a poser!

Props to Justin for teaching young Grasshopper how to mount DS tires. It was very easy if you have the right equipment and know how. Thanks again.