PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lube?? This wont take long!!

C.R.S.
08-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I've tried the following:
PJ1 Blue & Black
Belray
Motorex

and still get fling on the rear wheel!

I've never tried any of the chain waxes!

Reading up on the Dupont Teflon Mulit-use Wax Lubricant.
Has anybody used this stuff?
Good reviews from other sites and available at Lowes!

Just looking for some local opinions before I get a can.

Wanderer13
08-22-2008, 08:43 PM
That is all I use on all my bikes (DuPont Teflon-Silicon). This is the yellow can and you can get it at Lowe's for around $4. I first soak/clean the chain with WD-40, wipe it off with a rag and then spray a little Dupont on there. No problems so far. Eliminates fling and gritty build up on the chain. Almost all chains are o-ring or x-ring these days, so you are really just trying to keep the seals in good shape and rust off the exterior of the chain.

Suzuki Vicki
08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Terry and I have noticed that when we use the Blue label PJ if we drive slowly for a little while and let it set in, then when we speed up, it doesn't really sling out and make a mess. (Usually the slow drive out of our subdivision is good enough to prevent too much sling off.)
Also I sometimes use Maxima chain wax. The trick to it is to warm up the chain first, then spray it on. Then do the slow drive for a little bit then haul butt! (Terry's bikes don't like wax period. It just doesn't stay on very well for him.)
We have noticed that when we have a lot of gunk on our wheels, it tends to be because we get a little over zealous when applying lube/wax to the chain.
Sometimes after I wash and wax the R1 I will put a sheet of cardboard between the chain and wheel before I lube the chain. That has helped me a lot.:scooter:

Besides:

I didn't think you needed chain wax/lube since you drive so slow!:hiding:

Rkhard
08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
if you are getting any fling using PJ1 blue lable your applying it wrong. i recomend reading the directions carefuly..

Chain wax doesnt fling but it also lacks the lubricating ability that a conventional lube does...

PJ1 blue lable. rule number 1 apply to a warm to hot chain!!!!! this is the most critical part of the rule, chain lube will not adhere to a cold chain. throughly clean your chain i recomend a grunge brush and the maxima chain and air filter cleaner, works top notch... once you have cleaned your chain compleatly adjust the tension properly and take your bike for about a 10-20 mile ride, when you get back right away lube your chain compleatly and let it sit untill the chain is cold to the touch.. this is most important. the hot chain lets the chain lube get into all the nooks and crannys of the chain and cooks it out so your left with a very thick lube. letting it cool ensures that the lube hardens on your chain and adheres to it..

i have used PJ1 blue for quite some time and everytime i follow the directions i dont have so much as a spot of fling on my wheels.. try it and see if you dont change your mind afterwards..

Desmo Demon
08-26-2008, 07:22 AM
i have used PJ1 blue for quite some time

I think I've been using PJ1 Blue Label since 1983 or 1984 when DirtBike Magazine did a shootout on chain lubes. Over the years, I've often tried other lubes only to go back to the PJ1.

Dilliw
08-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I've tried the following:
PJ1 Blue & Black
Belray
Motorex

and still get fling on the rear wheel!

I've never tried any of the chain waxes!

Reading up on the Dupont Teflon Mulit-use Wax Lubricant.
Has anybody used this stuff?
Good reviews from other sites and available at Lowes!

Just looking for some local opinions before I get a can.

I use the Dupont Multi-Use from Lowes on my Honda. FYI they keep the stuff in the tools section or on an end cap near the tools. Takes a while to find it if you are like me and refuse to just ask. Works as described by WebBikeWorld.

Since the can says "multi use" I've been using that stuff on my Goose's shift linkages and cables too. Lot less messy.

JoeyBones
10-26-2008, 07:40 PM
if you are getting any fling using PJ1 blue lable your applying it wrong. i recomend reading the directions carefuly..

Chain wax doesnt fling but it also lacks the lubricating ability that a conventional lube does...

PJ1 blue lable. rule number 1 apply to a warm to hot chain!!!!! this is the most critical part of the rule, chain lube will not adhere to a cold chain. throughly clean your chain i recomend a grunge brush and the maxima chain and air filter cleaner, works top notch... once you have cleaned your chain compleatly adjust the tension properly and take your bike for about a 10-20 mile ride, when you get back right away lube your chain compleatly and let it sit untill the chain is cold to the touch.. this is most important. the hot chain lets the chain lube get into all the nooks and crannys of the chain and cooks it out so your left with a very thick lube. letting it cool ensures that the lube hardens on your chain and adheres to it..

i have used PJ1 blue for quite some time and everytime i follow the directions i dont have so much as a spot of fling on my wheels.. try it and see if you dont change your mind afterwards..

+1 Clean it, get it hot, spray it then let it sit.

I cleaned mine (when I had a bike with a chain) by putting it up on the stand and spraying the crap out of it with WD40, then hitting it with the hose. Then I'd drive around for 10 minutes, put her back on the stand and spray the PJ1 one the chain at the top of the rear sprocket while slowly hand-spinning the wheel backwards.

I think one of the reasons to put it on a hot chain was that the heat opened up the parts where you wanted the lube to seep into? Maybe? Whatever, this method works.

chawkes5645
10-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I switched from PJ Blue to the DuPont Wax this spring,most of my friends had switched and were happy, the wax lube does not attract and hold dirt/grit that destroys the chain and sprockets. This was the major advanage.

Long-term report my 2 friends both have 20k + miles using the wax, I saw some wear, not much. They live up north and will replace both chain and sprockets this winter.

I notice a little more chain noise with the wax, and overspray looks bad on tire sidewalls, but no more clean-up of built-up crap around the countershaft and rear sprocket.

When I used PJ, I lubed my chain first thing when I got home from a ride,every once in while WD it, never use water!!! Kerosene and a toothbrush!

Actually, one nice thing about the wax, it seems to clean as well as the wd, eliminating the fish oil step.
ch