PDA

View Full Version : Sportbike fools giving us all a bad name.

mracer1
11-02-2008, 06:56 PM
My wife and I rode today on my CBR 1000 and while coming through the GV watershead a large group of sportbike guys were seriously racing on the same road. They came up on us, from behind, so fast that I never saw them and that's unusual for me as I scout front and back constantly. These guys came past us and two cars on a curve, double yellow line full tilt. If I would have moved over just a couple of inches we would have been hit by one of them for sure. Along with those guys was a pair of quads also in the race. All were doing the same thing. Now look guys, I like a good race as much as anyone but damn, if I am not involved then leave me out of it. I think they should all grow a real pair and get on a track some where. Earlier in the day, while I was riding by myself up 11 a guy on a 08 Monster blew past me double yellow and all. Caught up to him at the station on 11 and asked him about it. He said he didn't want to get hit by a car? So today the road was crowded and the crazies were out. Kill yourself if you want to but leave me out of it!

Desmo Demon
11-02-2008, 07:46 PM
My wife and I rode today on my CBR 1000 and while coming through the GV watershead a large group of sportbike guys were seriously racing on the same road. They came up on us, from behind, so fast that I never saw them and that's unusual for me as I scout front and back constantly. These guys came past us and two cars on a curve, double yellow line full tilt.

I don't know the exact situation and don't know what you call "racing", but if they didn't leave you much room, they probably were being way out of line. I know I've been caught off guard on several occasions by much faster riders, and it wasn't really anything I appreciated, either. I know speeds that some people call "racing", but others call a Sunday afternoon in the park. Speed and "racing" are relative. I'm sure that many, many times my wife and I are riding at a moderate pace, a lot of people we pass probably think we are "racing"....but in reality, we are just cruising at a nice, "spirited" pace.......and what makes you think those guys haven't been on the track? I know a LOT of guys in the area that ride both the streets and the track, and they sure aren't what I'd call slow or exactly law-abiding when on the street, regardless of going to the track (or even legitimate racing).

The Watershed is a fun road, but to tell you the truth, to have any real fun on it, you have to be going...well...let's just say quite a bit over the speed limit. The curves are mild, and grossly undermarked, and if you run across any traffic on the road, you will probably have to pass them on solid yellow if you want to get around them before the curves end.

Earlier in the day, while I was riding by myself up 11 a guy on a 08 Monster blew past me double yellow and all.

There are double-yellows on Hwy 11? Just kidding. I know of many, many miles of double-yellow that are fairly ridiculous to be there. You can see for more than a quarter mile and can more than safely pass in many of these sections. I know of at least one section where I can probably see over a mile and could easily pass with a semi with double trailers......It's actually the side roads along that stretch of 11 that had the state put double-yellow there. Over the last several yeas, we've actually been losing passing zones and having more guardrails being installed because of all the dumb-a$$ retirees who can't drive and need the guardrails to bounce off of to prevent them from going off the road.

Other than being passed by a few F-tards, did you have a good ride? We didn't have a babysitter, so I worked on a bike and went to a park with the little one.

C.R.S.
11-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Glad that you and the Wife are OK!!

If I see a group coming up, I will try to get out of their way if there is room.
If racer/squidly/wannnabee/hey look at me I've gotta bike thats faster than yours/ comes up with out any forewarning such as flashing the brites, Horn, revving the engine Etc. I'd be errrked also.
I dont know why some folks always have to prove something like Here watch this!! Squidly's:conf44:

Could you tell where they were from via their tags. NC or SC
Over in our neck of the woods, this doesn't happen to often.

Over here at 178, the LEO's were out in force and some of the sport bikers were pulled doing 70 in a 35.

We need to keep things at a responsible pace and wave to the LEO's or even stop and say Howdy. The roads can be enjoyed by all and if the antics of a few continue, the stuff that happened to the Dragons Tail will happen to our little piece of Motorcycle Nirvana.

Keep an EYE out for each other!

Ride Safe:hiding:

Bucky
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
We didn't have a babysitter, so I worked on a bike and went to a park with the little one.

You are fast and skilled riders compared to me and many others, but a day with the kids always beats anything else -- and pays dividends in their lives, to boot. Building a memory and giving them your guidance and nurturing now will yield great dividends. ...and when they grow up, maybe they will want to ride with their parents.

Desmo Demon
11-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I dont know why some folks always have to prove something like Here watch this!! Squidly's:conf44:

Yeah, like that guy on the red and black TL1000. That guy always seems to have something to prove. :conf44: :assshaking:

BTW, I always thought it was "Hold my beer and watch this." :buddies:

We need to keep things at a responsible pace
I've ridden with you!...I like your "reasonable pace." :wheelie:

C.R.S.
11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, like that guy on the red and black TL1000. That guy always seems to have something to prove. :conf44: :assshaking:

BTW, I always thought it was "Hold my beer and watch this." :buddies:

I've ridden with you!...I like your "reasonable pace." :wheelie:

I want to be a DESMO when I grow up!! HE HE :scooter:
I'm trying to find the DESMO/VICKIE Proving Grounds, any Idea where they might be? Ha Ha!! :rofl2:

Later,

Desmo Demon
11-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm trying to find the DESMO/VICKIE Proving Grounds, any Idea where they might be?

Um.....the Greenville Watershed? :conf44:

:hiding:

adamm
11-05-2008, 12:32 PM
There appeared to be a bit more craziness than what I have come to expect from some of our local speed demons on Sunday up on 178. I was out with a group of Harleys (couple of sport bikes in the mix) and we were passed in traffic by a racing group.... I wont mention any names :)

Passing near the corners at 100+ with the front tire off the ground is a bit excessive IMHO.

Adam

Desmo Demon
11-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Passing near the corners at 100+ with the front tire off the ground is a bit excessive IMHO.

That's not excessive......they do that practically every single time they leave the store. That's regular ole ridin' for them......which is why I don't ride with them. :wheelie: