PDA

View Full Version : Its Getting Warmer / Time To Ride??

C.R.S.
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Howdy all,

.akai
BabyPuncher Posted up March 8th Ride

Anybody else riding this weekend!

When & Where, & How really doesn't matter, as long as your out there!

Ride Safe:beach:

rufrydrsc2
03-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I'll be riding with .akai.

Desmo Demon
03-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Anybody else riding this weekend!

Like we'd tell YOU?!!!

(I believe Vicki may be arranging a babysitter for this weekend)

C.R.S.
03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
I'll be at the Homeshow Saturday manning a booth from 10 > 3.

Sunday's a possibility ETA to store 3:00PM

Desmo Demon
03-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I'll be at the Homeshow Saturday manning a booth from 10 > 3.

Sunday's a possibility ETA to store 3:00PM

You need to call in sick on Monday. ;)

Depending on road conditions, Vicki may roll the Monster out this weekend. I have plans of riding the Paso a little, too.

STRETCH
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I'll be getting an all day ride in sunday and may get out and play a little saturday if the roads aren't too salty.

rufrydrsc2
03-04-2009, 03:34 PM
What time are yall heading out to the store? I'm game for Sunday. Sat's going to be much of a wash for me as I'm going down to Commerce on Friday to run my bike at the Atl dragway, and will be heading back Sat.

STRETCH
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
leaving the store at 09:00 with a group of 4+. the pace will be spirited.
we plan on running up 28 probably 300ish miles round trip

C.R.S.
03-04-2009, 11:09 PM
You need to call in sick on Monday. ;)

Depending on road conditions, Vicki may roll the Monster out this weekend. I have plans of riding the Paso a little, too.

You guys are killing me!! Wish I could, but too many projects going on, which is good for work/my employment. Ha Ha!

If yall get out on Monday, do your usual and send me a riding pic during work hours and rub my nose in it again.
Glad to know I'm of some value to the Upstate Celebs :punish: :blum:
Hopefully see ya Sunday afternoon, if your around de sto area!

Later:scooter:

rookie
03-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Are you still interested in my saddle bags? If so, call me at 864-923-1256
Thanks,
George

rookie
03-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I'll be riding my Valkyrie to Dahlonega to meet two friends and then on to Helen for lunch. Anyone interested is welcome. I'll be leaving the Simpsonville area at 8:00am and plan to be back by 4:00pm give or take a few.

Suzuki Vicki
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
You guys are killing me!! Wish I could, but too many projects going on, which is good for work/my employment. Ha Ha!
If yall get out on Monday, do your usual and send me a riding pic during work hours and rub my nose in it again.
Glad to know I'm of some value to the Upstate Celebs :punish: :blum:
Hopefully see ya Sunday afternoon, if your around de sto area!
Later:scooter:
LOSER!!!!:bricks:
I'm going riding on Friday the 5th also. Guess no one is going to stay out of work and go with me? Just in case, I'll probably be @ the store around 10-11 depending on how cold it is.:beach:
Heck, I can't even get Terry to lay out an go ride!:hang2:
I go to all the trouble of getting a sitter, and you're to skeert & afeeerd to go with us? We will try to not get you lost. Or did momma put the brakes on for ya? :punish: (I'm still saying you need to bring her along, or at least bring her to the house so we can meet her, I would love to see the kind of woman that could put up with you!) :blum:
Just see if I'm ever nice to you again!:ignore:
I'll start kicking you off the mountain every time I see ya now!:dance3:

Suzuki Vicki
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I'll be riding my Valkyrie to Dahlonega to meet two friends and then on to Helen for lunch. Anyone interested is welcome. I'll be leaving the Simpsonville area at 8:00am and plan to be back by 4:00pm give or take a few.
That soulds like a nice ride. Terry and I ride that way quite a bit in the summer. It is a very nice ride!:scooter:
I doubt we will venture that far from home now though since it is still getting dark and cold pretty early. And I tend to freeze pretty quick and when I get cold, the whining and beeootchin' begins!:tease:
But I really hope you enjoy the ride! :ohyea:

Desmo Demon
03-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I was thinking about taking off half a day tomorrow, but I don't think I will now!.......if I can get in at 5am, I can be heading toward the house by 10, home at 11....Maybe I should wear my suit into work and ride a bike and just head up toward the twisties straight from work......If they don't think I'm weird enough at work, now, I'm sure they will if I wear a bright yellow, one-piece suit into work. :tease:

C.R.S.
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
LOSER!!!!:bricks:
I'm going riding on Friday the 5th also. Guess no one is going to stay out of work and go with me? Just in case, I'll probably be @ the store around 10-11 depending on how cold it is.:beach:
I go to all the trouble of getting a sitter, and you're to skeert & afeeerd to go with us? We will try to not get you lost. Or did momma put the brakes on for ya? :punish: (I'm still saying you need to bring her along, or at least bring her to the house so we can meet her, I would love to see the kind of woman that could put up with you!) :blum:
Just see if I'm ever nice to you again!:ignore:
I'll start kicking you off the mountain every time I see ya now!:dance3:

If you feel FROGGY, go ahead and jump off the mouintain Ha Ha Ha!
Yea I know, I need to get momma up there to meet the Upstate Celebs!
Then would you let me back on the mountain, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ:tease:

I'll holler at ya later!!

Suzuki Vicki
03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
If you feel FROGGY, go ahead and jump off the mouintain Ha Ha Ha!
Yea I know, I need to get momma up there to meet the Upstate Celebs!
Then would you let me back on the mountain, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ:tease: I'll holler at ya later!!
Weellll...... OK, you can come back to the mountain.:ignore:
And yep, we have to meet momma. I promise we will be on our best behavior. I'll even lock Terry back in the basement.:bricks:
As far as being froggy, I can hop pretty good for having one good foot.:blum: :tease:

rufrydrsc2
03-06-2009, 06:14 AM
I think we'll stop by the store probably by 12ish, but we'll be going at a relaxed pace. Yall ride safe, there's alot of sand and crap on the roads! Here's to giving the EMT's a day off.:buddies:

Suzuki Vicki
03-06-2009, 06:25 AM
178 was clear from the store to Rocky Bottom yesterday. But Ceasar's Head was a total disaster! Especially on the NC side. But even the SC side near the top was VERY sandy/salted.:hsfu:
I'm getting ready to head out in a few minutes and scout out some of the local roads today and try to plan out where Terry and I will be able to ride to for the rest of the weekend.:scooter:

rufrydrsc2
03-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll leave Ceasar's head alone. Let me know what's clear.

C.R.S.
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
All Right,
Yall Better Get Out and ride this weekend!

Hope to see ya out and about!!!!:scooter:

rufrydrsc2
03-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Who else has been riding? Went to Commerce yesterday afternoon and ran the VFR. 12.1 @ 113 w/ the back tire slipping in second. Should've been 11's @ 120+ if I'dve kept the right lane for the last run. Had a good ride back today, now it's time to rest. Yall be safe!

Bucky
03-08-2009, 07:06 AM
we'll be going at a relaxed pace.

Went out yesterday. Could not have asked for better weather.

Easy cruiser route with church group. Several sightseeing stops -- Collins Old Town in Central, Oconee Heritage Center in Walhalla, Stumphouse Tunnel/Issaqueena, Oconee State Park. No sand/salt on roads. Lots of traffic in places: motorcycles, convertibles, out in droves.

Desmo Demon
03-08-2009, 08:06 AM
No sand/salt on roads. Lots of traffic in places: motorcycles, convertibles, out in droves.
178 was reported to have the Po-Leese out in force.....and will probably be out today, also.

We rode out to northern Georgia for the day, and the only really bad road out there was Hwy 180 between 129 and Suches. There is gravel all over the place. The top of the Richard Russel Raceway had some gravel, but the lower sections were clean.

drinkoj
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
178 was reported to have the Po-Leese out in force.....and will probably be out today, also.

We rode out to northern Georgia for the day, and the only really bad road out there was Hwy 180 between 129 and Suches. There is gravel all over the place. The top of the Richard Russel Raceway had some gravel, but the lower sections were clean.

Saturday 178 had a license check on the SC side of the mountain with three police cars, per one of my friends that rode. Kinda caught me off guard when he told me about it.

Sunday, when I went up the mountain, there was one police car reported to be up there and I ran across him on his way back down around 1:30pm. I was coming off a set nice turns and let off the throttle at just the right time, doing around 30MPH, when the policemen came around the other side of a turn. The cop saw me and his face turned directly towards his radar and then back at me, thought he was going to ticket me for beign over the speed 5mph. Came back down and was able to give several bikes the thumbs up for it being clear.

As I was riding home around 2pm'ish, about 8 miles from The Store going away from the mountain, there were three Highway Patrolmen on motorcycles (silver ST1300?? maybe) on 178.

The Store wasn't as busy as I expected, but several out.

Going to try and stay away from 180 for about two months, as that gravel and sand takes forever to leave that area. Almost lost the bike last year on that mess.

Y2KMagna
03-09-2009, 11:04 AM
OJ. I forget, are you going to make the north GA ride? Two weeks away.
:dance3:

drinkoj
03-09-2009, 02:04 PM
OJ. I forget, are you going to make the north GA ride? Two weeks away.
:dance3:

Had to think, who the heck is Y2KMagna, LOL!

No, I won't be able to make it, as we're hosting a German exchange student that is flying in on the 26/27th and taking off to Florida for spring break. :beach:

STRETCH
03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Are you still interested in my saddle bags? If so, call me at 864-923-1256
Thanks,
George
I'd like to take a look at them if you still have them. When would be a good time to call? I work 2nd, so I keep kind of odd hours.

I rode up to deals gap sunday, trying to beat the tourist this year. It wasn't verry crouded but the salt was very heavy.

rufrydrsc2
03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
We ended up going to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure area. Beautiful weather, roads clear for the most part.

Desmo Demon
03-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Saturday 178 had a license check on the SC side of the mountain.....Sunday, when I went up the mountain, there was one police car......there were three Highway Patrolmen on motorcycles (silver ST1300?? maybe) on 178.
They were an absolute PITA the whole weekend, including yesterday, as Vicki and I saw three of them while at "The Store" around 10-ish in the morning. They were being stupid about writing tickets, also. A friend of ours got a ticket for not putting his feet down at the stopsign at Hwy 288 and Hwy 178. I guess the only way you can come to a complete stip is if you put your foot down. Despite riding an ST1300, I guess he doesn't realize you can come to a complete stop (momentarily) without ever putting your foot down....Maybe he has a poor sense of balance. I guess he doesn't realize you can still be rolling and put your foot down?....Anyone know where it says in the law that you have to put a foot on the ground?....We need to get one of those guys who does the Gas-Gas trials exhibitions to sit still on his bike without ever putting his feet on the ground. You ever see one of those exhibitions? Those guys are amazing!

From Friday afternoon through yesterday (I have Mondays off of work), Vicki and I racked up over 1200 miles. We made something like five trips to northern Georgia because the roads were clean that way. I'm surprised I haven't been sore.....we killed a couple more tires....I think we're up to six for the year, already.

PETE913
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I can't keep suppling you and your wife's addiction too long. You guys are going through tires faster than a crack addict through..well crack

Plus you guys are making the rest of us look like lazy asses:punish:

C.R.S.
03-11-2009, 11:47 AM

I resemble that remark :bricks:

Desmo Demon
03-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Awe shucks.....You don't need any help to look like a lazy ass. :blum:

STRETCH
03-11-2009, 09:03 PM
THE LAW in some states (TN for one) is that you have to put both feet on the ground to legaly be considered a stop. Kind of sucks if you ride an old bike with a foot clutch.

They were an absolute PITA the whole weekend, including yesterday, as Vicki and I saw three of them while at "The Store" around 10-ish in the morning. They were being stupid about writing tickets, also. A friend of ours got a ticket for not putting his feet down at the stopsign at Hwy 288 and Hwy 178. I guess the only way you can come to a complete stip is if you put your foot down. Despite riding an ST1300, I guess he doesn't realize you can come to a complete stop (momentarily) without ever putting your foot down....Maybe he has a poor sense of balance. I guess he doesn't realize you can still be rolling and put your foot down?....Anyone know where it says in the law that you have to put a foot on the ground?....We need to get one of those guys who does the Gas-Gas trials exhibitions to sit still on his bike without ever putting his feet on the ground. You ever see one of those exhibitions? Those guys are amazing!

From Friday afternoon through yesterday (I have Mondays off of work), Vicki and I racked up over 1200 miles. We made something like five trips to northern Georgia because the roads were clean that way. I'm surprised I haven't been sore.....we killed a couple more tires....I think we're up to six for the year, already.

Desmo Demon
03-11-2009, 09:26 PM
THE LAW in some states (TN for one) is that you have to put both feet on the ground to legaly be considered a stop. Kind of sucks if you ride an old bike with a foot clutch.
Or if you are disabled and cannot easily take your foot off the footpeg and put it back on....heaven forbid a person has a prostetic and may actually have to attach it to the bike while he is riding (like one Upsate rider that I have ridden with on several occasions).....

What about a trike? I wonder if that is addressed in the recently SC-developed endorsement specifically for trikes. I'd hate to imagine those riders on trikes that are paralyzed form the waist down may need to put a foot down when coming to a stop. The new law also states that a person with a motorcycle license cannot ride a trike nor can they drive a motorcycle with a sidecar attached without having a trike license. I don't think they grandfathered anyone who may have been using a hack over the last few decades, either. I know they sure as hell haven't advertised the new licensing requirements. The only way I even found out was that I was bored while waiting for my renewal license to be printed and saw the new laws stated in a trike book that was at the DMV.

You have any idea what the actual law is in SC? I have no idea what it may be now. I know when I got my license in 1993, there was not a specification about "stopping"....you simply had to come to a stop. Vicki waits until her digital speedo reads "0" and then continues on.....without or without a foot on the ground.

Suzuki Vicki
03-13-2009, 06:46 PM
You have any idea what the actual law is in SC? I have no idea what it may be now. I know when I got my license in 1993, there was not a specification about "stopping"....you simply had to come to a stop. Vicki waits until her digital speedo reads "0" and then continues on.....without or without a foot on the ground.
The law is what I say it is!:bb:

C.R.S.
03-13-2009, 09:48 PM

YES MAAAAAAAAAM :punish:

drinkoj
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Great, you've been talking to my wife I see. :punish:

Suzuki Vicki
03-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Great, you've been talking to my wife I see. :punish:
Us women are all in a master plan to rule the world! :smiliegang :UFO
I am the unoffical leader!:hunter:

STRETCH
03-16-2009, 11:18 PM

haven't found it yet, but came across this while looking for it
(5) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped, or a bicycle rider, approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control device, the driver may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider, as the case may be:

(a) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for one hundred twenty seconds; and

(b) exercises due care as provided by law, otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, and determines it is safe to proceed."

Time effective

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Ratified the 22nd day of May, 2008.

Approved the 27th day of May, 2008.

in short if a light doesn't change in 2 minutes you can legaly run it on a bike

STRETCH
03-16-2009, 11:31 PM
should be here some were.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t56c005.htm

Desmo Demon
03-17-2009, 05:45 AM
Ratified the 22nd day of May, 2008.

Approved the 27th day of May, 2008.

I remember when they passed that into law. There was a lot of publicity around that, and at least one news channel had a poll about it on their website.

I specifically remember that when I took the test, there were no special provisions about stopping on a bike. It was simply that you had to come to a complete stop. There was nothing about putting one or two feet down, and there was nothing about a certain amount of time that needed to pass before taking off. The thing that I would be concerned about, is if they made a change to the law and no one knows about it.

As I stated before about the trikes, that is a recent change and the only reason I even know about it is because I happened to notice the flier at the DMV. Prior to this, I had no idea that they created a new license endorsement specifically for trikes and motorcycles equipped with a sidecar. I wonder how many old timers who have been riding old Harley Servicars or a hack on their bike for 20, 30, 40, or more years who have no idea about this new endorsement.....I wonder how many law enforcement personnel know about this endorsement.

Other laws that I remember from 1993, which may no longer be true (and are often not enforced) is that a motorcycle is required to have at least one mirror, if a bike came with two mirrors from the factory, it is required that it have both mirrors installed....and bikes that came equipped with turn signals from the factory need to have turn signals installed. I don't remember if it was recent or from back then, but it is (used to be) stated that a passenger must ride on a specificly designed pillion seat and must be able to reach unmodified passenger footpegs. This would rule out "legal" passengers as being children that cannot reach the factory footpegs or riding your kid in front of you.

What really irks me is that certain states will enforce laws for outsiders just to be a pain in the ass. I've read about all sorts of people getting tickets in Daytona and at Sturgis for bikes that are perfectly legal in their own state but not in the state they are visiting. Peter Fonda got a ticket in Sturgis a few years ago because the ape hangers on his bike were too tall from the seat of the bike he was riding, but it was perfectly legal in his state. Following this logic, any vehicle from a state that does not check for emissions can be ticketed or impounded if it fails emissions testing in the state they are visiting, or....every time Vicki drives our truck into North Carolina, it is illegal because the truck probably hasn't been emissions tested in over ten years and wouldn't pass anyway. The truck has true "duals" and stainless steel headers and does not have catelytic converters (we bought it this way).