PDA

View Full Version : An idiot and his mustang...

Chilli99katana
03-09-2009, 12:55 AM
So I went to a family's house in Mauldin to hang out and have dinner with my mom before she goes back home to NY tomorrow. (I had actually gone riding early today and found it a little to windy, so I went home after a few hours.) Anyway, I am riding down Haywood Rd, it's probably about 10 o'clock at night, on my way home. I was coming up to the traffic light by the Burger King by the mall and Toys R Us on Haywood and I saw a car in the turning lane about to make a turn in my direction towards the mall. As soon as I spot him I start thinking, ok, he's not going to turn, he's waiting for me to go first. I still put my hand on the brake, but I'm thinking, 'Is he going to turn? I'm too close(about 50ft), I know he sees me, my bike has dual headlights, and they are kind of bright, he's not moving yet, I'm good'. Stupid me for thinking that way, because I get 20 feet from him and he makes his turn in front of me!! I hit my brakes so I don't run into him, fishtailed but kept it upright, then aimed for the left lane behind him. It's not like the light was changing, I saw it turn green from about 100 feet back, and it's not like I was blocked by traffic, no one was in front of me, and only 1 car behind me about 100 ft back. I'm glad I don't have a habit of panicking, because I would've wiped out, and he wouldn't have known because I watched him keep going aound the corner pretty fast as I cursed at him as loud as I could. I don't know what was going through the guy's mind, but I was pretty upset that it happened.

Anyway, I had to rant about it, not looking for any sympathy or anything. Just had to let it out and my wife was on the phone with her friend, so I couldn't rant to her. Besides, she would just worry too mush next time I went riding. Rant over.

DucatiJeff
03-09-2009, 07:21 AM
It's an obstacle course out there! I've found that you really have to assume that everyone like this is going to do something stupid.

Throw a cell phone to their head and the makeup mirror on the left side in the down position and you have all of the ingredients for having a bad day if you hang around them for very long!

Viper
03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Good for you for keeping the bike under control.

DucatiJeff
03-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Good for you for keeping the bike under control.

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of you Blake!

:dance3: :tease: :dance3:

Flying996
03-09-2009, 07:47 AM
that's pretty much why I have lost the enjoyment for street riding, especially at night. Once you go track, you never go back!

MV031161
03-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Glad you are OK...you are a better man than me...that's for sure!:hunter:

Suzuki Vicki
03-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I now have arthritis in my both of my middle fingers thanks to dumb butt drivers like that!:hsfu:
I really wish that it was legal to have open season on dumb drivers!:hunter:

Desmo Demon
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I will tolerate traffic to get to and from work, but other than that, I generally try to avoid traffic like an AIDS infested prostitute.......or any prostitute for that matter. Vicki makes sure I can't afford one by going through motorcycle tires left-and-right. :scooter:

C.R.S.
03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Glad your OTAY,

I have the Hi-beams on all the time during the day.
If I'm in Haywood Road/Mall traffic and behind a car I try to make sure they can see me in their mirrors. Try to anticpate what their next move will be and
give'm plenty of room. But most of the time I avoid the main roads.
Dont let your guard down while on the bike, cause those dillweeds will be doing the cell phone/eating/make-up thing/reading while driving and not pay attention when they should be focusing on driving.

I'm glad you came through unscathed!!

Ride Safe with your eye's wide open!

Bucky
03-14-2009, 06:19 PM
In daylight, I think the headlight modulator helps. I have seen many cars start, then stop again when they see it. Don't depend on it, but use it as one more line of defense. Comagination VisiPath (www.comagination.com)

Same thing with that ugly reflective vest of mine. It hides the fine leathers, but makes me more visible in daylight and at night. See this: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/328/7444/857 (Anyway, you faster riders can see me better up ahead of you!)