PDA

View Full Version : Greenville News - Wed 03/11/09

Desmo Demon
03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Anyone see today's copy of the Greenville News and the front page story about how the police are going to heavily patrol Hwy 178, Hwy 11, and the surrounding areas?

:Benson:

drinkoj
03-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Why does this not surprise me. FOCUS ON THE REAL PROBLEMS!

PETE913
03-11-2009, 10:28 PM
funds are running low...

C.R.S.
03-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Looks like our little road is going the way of Deals Gap.
Who knows it might be a blessing in disguise?

I know there are gray areas (for motorcyclist) such as:
a) Come to a complete stop, feet must touch the ground.
How long do you have too wait for it to be considered a complete stop, 5-10-15> Seconds. Stop, look/scan all directions then go. It only takes a few seconds and this can be done at a snail's pace roll while coming up to the stop sign before entering the intersection, once clear then off you go.

b) Going through a long red lite because the barrier strip did not pick up the bike after 90 seconds of waiting and there was no traffic:
I've done this after the South Carolina law of OK'ing to do this was in place, Still got pulled over and was asked why I just went through the red lite. this was explained, eventhough the officer agreed that there was no traffic and the barrier strip was not able to pick my bike's signal to trip the red lite to green, he said next time he would have to give me ticket for running the red lite ARRRG! Depends on the Officer and their disposition at that time.

I guess the residents in this area have complained about the bikes to local authorities and the LEO's are just doing their jobs. When you see'm, stop by and say howdy ask'm how they are doing or wave as your going by while doing the speed limit.

I like the twisteees as much as the next rider, and I'm willing to abide by their guide lines. If everyone would consider it, things should get back to normal sooner rather than later. If we dont, our Dragons Tail will be gone then we will have to find other farther away twistee roads to ride.
Dont get me wrong, I like exploring for new twistees but theres nothing like riding your favorite local twistees. Just my opinion :ok:

Ride Safe!

Desmo Demon
03-12-2009, 05:09 AM
I've done this after the South Carolina law of OK'ing to do this was in place, Still got pulled over and was asked why I just went through the red lite. this was explained, eventhough the officer agreed that there was no traffic and the barrier strip was not able to pick my bike's signal to trip the red lite to green, he said next time he would have to give me ticket for running the red lite ARRRG! Depends on the Officer and their disposition at that time.
It amazes me how many officers don't know the laws. It's like when I asked several officers in the early 90's about carrying firearms from one location to another if you only had a motorcycle and did not have a carry permit. Of all the officers I asked, I never got the same answer.

I like the twisteees as much as the next rider, and I'm willing to abide by their guide lines.
LMFAO.....Like you've been following their "guide lines" the last few years that I've known you....Heck, you can't ride with us if you want to be a brown-noser to society.....you simply couldn't keep up. (j/k.....I never exceed the speed limit, make rolling stops, or pass when I shouldn't....always put both feet down when I come to a stop, sit through all red lights, and walk little old ladies across the street).

our Dragons Tail will be gone
You mean our "Tail of the Lizard"?

C.R.S.
03-12-2009, 07:43 AM
It amazes me how many officers don't know the laws. It's like when I asked several officers in the early 90's about carrying firearms from one location to another if you only had a motorcycle and did not have a carry permit. Of all the officers I asked, I never got the same answer.

LMFAO.....Like you've been following their "guide lines" the last few years that I've known you....Heck, you can't ride with us if you want to be a brown-noser to society.....you simply couldn't keep up. (j/k.....I never exceed the speed limit, make rolling stops, or pass when I shouldn't....always put both feet down when I come to a stop, sit through all red lights, and walk little old ladies across the street).

You mean our "Tail of the Lizard"?

If you read the "get back to normal part" this is meant as "for a little while"
I'm just like the rest of us, enjoying the spirited pace and yes I agree with you on the "guide lines".
I'm far from brown nosing and never have toted the corporate line. I'd never give up my fellow man and their riding places and tendency's.
Cause I have the same tendency's and core belief's as you and many others I/we just need to meet'm halfway for a little while, thats all I'm asking.

Later

Desmo Demon
03-12-2009, 09:21 AM
I like how they feel the need to crack down on motorcyclist who are, for the most part, only a threat to themselves. I would have loved to see them get that bastard that tried running me off the road on Memorial Day, last year.....or any of those dumb-asses who speed up and try leaving you in the wrong lane in a passing zone......or the folks who think they are being funny when they do 10-15 mph in the curves and floor it in the straights so you can't get around them.....or the ones who think it is funny to cross over into your lane in a straight to play "chicken"......or the fucktards who pull out in front of us even after looking right at us......or....

Last year, Vicki and I were out riding around in the drizzling rain and decided to shoot down Hwy 11 at the speed limit. A little old lady pulled out in front of me, caused me to hit the brakes pretty hard, and then she never got over 40 mph. Adding to this, she would literally veer off the road, then go across the yellow line, and weave back and forth. We evenutally had enough, and shot up to around 70 mph to pass her in a passing zone.....only to have a trooper pull us over for speeding.

This was toward the beginning of a really long straight on Hwy 11. We had enough time to tell our story about her weaving, and then Vicki pointed at the woman down the road and said, "and she's still driving that way!". He turned and looked to see her go off the road, and then make a left turn right in front of oncoming traffic. The trooper said, "I was going to give you a ticket, but I saw how she was driving and believe you." He gave me back my license and turned to leave. Vicki asked him, "Are you going to go pull her over?" He responded with "Being old isn't against the law."........and here we were thinking that the way she was driving was against the law. I guess some laws only pertain to certain people.

rufrydrsc2
03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I printed out a copy of the bill that states we are able to go through a steady red just in case I ever get pulled over for that and I've got to fight it in court. Here's a link to where you can print it too.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess117_2007-2008/bills/4669.htm

intel_killer
03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
That sucks about the increased presence on 11 and 178. Sometimes I like to make the jaunt down south from Charlotte.

About 2 years ago, I ran into a trooper driving in the opposite lane of 276 into oncoming traffic. He trying to chase down a motorcycle running up to Caesar's head, I presume. He did have his lights on, but it about caused me and the Goldwing in front of me, to lose it trying to figure out which way to go, coming up on him around a blind corner.

Suzuki Vicki
03-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Well, if certain members of this forum (ahem...you know who you are!) would stop storming up and down the mountain, we wouldn't be in this predicament.:punish:
I'm tired of trying to drive my bikes to Sunday school and getting passed by all you heathens!:scooter:

C.R.S.
03-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes Momma, We'll behave!!:punish: He He He :tease:

Suzuki Vicki
03-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes Momma, We'll behave!!:punish: He He He :tease:
Well, you better!:punish:
Now we all have to go slow just because you had to prove that you were faster than a 250!:scooter:
Actually we may have next weekend free if you feel the urge to go terrorize the locals elsewhere.:wheelie: :thgatlin:

C.R.S.
03-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, you better!:punish:
Now we all have to go slow just because you had to prove that you were faster than a 250!:scooter:
Only reason why I was faster than a 250, because it was still parked :dance3:

Actually we may have next weekend free if you feel the urge to go terrorize the locals elsewhere.:wheelie: :thgatlin:
I'm not sure if I'll be out & about, My Sister-n-law turns the big 50 and might be in Batesburg next weekend. Somewhat scheduling a surprize b-day party with the black balloons and such! Let the fun begin! I'll be there in a few years myself ARRRRRG :hang2:

Later Taters

OGRE!
03-17-2009, 08:58 AM
As several of you know already I'm in Law Enforcement. I'm also a somewhat "spirited" rider. I've given a few words of advice to the riders that know me and I think its appropriate for me to give them to everyone on here. Tips that will over time decrease the LEO presence on 178 & 11. First, ANYONE can go fast in a straight line, you are not proving ANYTHING by blasting through the straight stretches, maintain a speed that is close to the speed limit. Gear up to 4th or 5th gear(quieter) and cruise. Especially near the golf course and near the church at rocky bottom. That is where many of the complaints come from. Second, when you come up behind a car don't tailgate, they are no more likely to pull over and let you pass when you are three feet off their bumper than 25-30 feet, plus your headlights will be more visible at a safe following distance(that helps them take notice and MAYBE pull over). Drivers that are tailgated/ passed on double yellow are the second biggest complaint on the mountain. If you get behind a slow vehicle, there are legal ways to get out from behind them. The easiest is to pull over, allow the slow driver to go on, watch behind you , and pull out safely before the next car comes along. All in all it doesn't matter if you are an expert rider who could pass safely in a short straight stretch, you will still draw complaints!
The last complaint and smallest complaint I'll mention is noise.... even a race pipe isn't TOO loud if you aren't at 10k+ or WOT. In the uninhabited area don't even worry about it, but, near residences, churches, golf courses, try to upshift and go a little lighter on the throttle.
I'm not trying to bitch at ANYONE, I just want everyone to be able to enjoy our roads with out drawing the wrath of the public. Our traffic units aren't coming to 178 to "make money" or "harrass" anyone. They are answering MULTIPLE complaints from the public. To get them to go elsewhere the complaints have to fall to a level less than the complaints they recieve for other areas.
Thats all folks, hope, it helps.
OGRE

Desmo Demon
03-17-2009, 09:04 AM
As several of you know already I'm in Law Enforcement. I'm also a somewhat "spirited" rider.

Ah ha ha ha haaaa.....Catch me if you can, copper! :wheelie:

Whooooo Hooooo!!!!!!!......."Breakin' the law....breakin' the law...." :ohyea:

Hey Ogre, you gonna be out this weekend? Get that head gasket taken care of, yet? We may have a babysitter this weekend.

I'm glad we usually don't stay in the areas where law enforcement has been "cracking down". Just the other weekend, we left the state at least six times. No need in sticking around to run the risk of getting a performance award.

BTW, what is the actual law on coming to a stop for a motorcyclist, Ogre?

Wanderer13
03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the tips. Just curious how many tickets you and other LEO's have been issued over the years. My friend is retired law enforcement and says his retired credentials get him out of 5-8 tickets per year. WTF!

Suzuki Vicki
03-17-2009, 03:36 PM
As several of you know already I'm in Law Enforcement. I'm also a somewhat "spirited" rider. I've given a few words of advice to the riders that know me and I think its appropriate for me to give them to everyone on here.
Thanks for the advice!
Also, could you threaten Terry with a ticket if he fails to put his clothes back on when he goes passing by all those cars on 178 while he's trying to speed on those poor, tired, slow Ducatis? :icon_butt:
I'm tired of seeing all those folks wreck while pointing and laughing!:tease:

Desmo Demon
03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm tired of seeing all those folks wreck while pointing and laughing!:tease:
And here I always thought it was the reflection of the sun off my lily-white ass that was blinding them and causing them to wreck. :scooter:

OGRE!
03-18-2009, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the tips. Just curious how many tickets you and other LEO's have been issued over the years. My friend is retired law enforcement and says his retired credentials get him out of 5-8 tickets per year. WTF!

I've been issued 2 tickets only one on a motorcycle(too fast for conditions). My credentials haven't gotten me out of any tickets and if your friend is getting out of 5+ a year, he's abusing his former position, and he shouldn't be bragging about it to you either. If i'm cought breakin the law I'll have to take my lumps and pay my fines just like everyone else, but, I could lose my job if I racked up a few tickets. I guess thats what makes me a little more careful.

OGRE!
03-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Hey Ogre, you gonna be out this weekend? Get that head gasket taken care of, yet? We may have a babysitter this weekend.

I've gotta work all weekend... my weekend off was during the friggin rain last week. The head gasket has stopped leaking.... maybe the long trip on the interstate caused a little blow by... I dunno. I thrashed the crap out of it the other day and it seemed fine with no additional leaks. Gonna leave it alone for now.

As for stop signs..... If your wheels have come to a COMPLETE stop(front fork will start to unload) and it is safe/your turn.... you can go.... you do not have to put your foot down for it to be a complete stop... IF you can balance the bike at a COMPLETE stop.... anyone who took the Motorcycle license test 4 or more years ago(before the rewrite) will probably remember doing"stop and go's" without putting your foot down.

law1200
03-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Ogre it's good to see you around here:tease: , man I was starting to wonder if your officials had taking your bike to keep you from associating with us. Sorry to here that you had problems with the bike but if I can help you out with it just give me a call.

Amos

Thanks for the heads up:ok:

rufrydrsc2
03-18-2009, 08:09 AM
anyone who took the Motorcycle license test 4 or more years ago(before the rewrite) will probably remember doing"stop and go's" without putting your foot down.

Or last year in the case of when the DMV's actually got the new test at their facilities. LOL.

Wanderer13
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I've been issued 2 tickets only one on a motorcycle(too fast for conditions). My credentials haven't gotten me out of any tickets and if your friend is getting out of 5+ a year, he's abusing his former position, and he shouldn't be bragging about it to you either. If i'm cought breakin the law I'll have to take my lumps and pay my fines just like everyone else, but, I could lose my job if I racked up a few tickets. I guess thats what makes me a little more careful.

I am glad to see that you are taking your lumps with the rest of us. I always felt like it was an abuse and was led to believe that it was widespread "professional courtesy". Now, if we can just get all those tax dodging politicians to play by the same rules.

Desmo Demon
03-18-2009, 12:05 PM
The head gasket has stopped leaking.... maybe the long trip on the interstate caused a little blow by... I dunno.

It sure works that way with my Harley. If I travel at more than 70 mph for any great length of time (cross-country rides), the thing develops leaks out of just about every dern gasket and o-ring that thing has, from crankcase pressure (I guess). If I stay between 60 and 70 mph, it doesn't seem to have any issues, but.....I'm talking about a Harley.....not some uber-reliable Japanese manufactured bike....

Maybe the guy putting your engine together had too much saki during lunch?

WeKneeDragger
03-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Anybody can APPLY for a job in law enforcement. Problem is not many want it. It's something you really want to do for a living. My step dad is retired IN State Police.
Putting your life on the line everyday deserves something.
Even if it's not true, it should be in my opinion. They are trained at high speeds and do it everyday.
Every job has its benefits
:rtfm: should be the last thing a LEO should have to worry about

Wanderer13
03-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Anybody can APPLY for a job in law enforcement. Problem is not many want it. It's something you really want to do for a living. My step dad is retired IN State Police.
Even if it's not true, it should be in my opinion. They are trained at high speeds and do it everyday.
Every job has its benefits
:rtfm: should be the last thing a LEO should have to worry about

Should track riders be able to excessively exceed the speed limit on the roads?

I was referring to off duty violations. I think they should lead by example. You know, be held to a higher standard. But, instead we get a lower standards from a lot of elected and appointed officials. I have never met OGRE, so I am not expressing an opinion on him or hold no ill feelings. I am sure being a police officer is a thankless job.

OGRE!
03-19-2009, 04:57 AM
I am glad to see that you are taking your lumps with the rest of us. I always felt like it was an abuse and was led to believe that it was widespread "professional courtesy". Now, if we can just get all those tax dodging politicians to play by the same rules.

Just to be clear. I don't have a problem with "professional courtesy". I have a problem with someone abusing that courtesy and getting out of multiple tickets every year. If a police officer willfully breakss the law, and expects that he will get out of every ticket just because he's a cop, that is unacceptable.

Desmo Demon
03-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I had thought about it in the past......it simply doesn't pay enough money for all the low-life scum you have to deal with on a regular basis.....and getting shot at probably isn't any fun. Vicki had an offer in the past to go into law enforcement, but I think income had a lot to do with turning that down, also.

In some ways I admire the folks in law enforcement. You know they get a lot of crap from everyone. I like to bitch about them, on occasion, but I will honestly say that I have gotten away with thousands of violations compared with the ones that I have gotten caught for. I've also learned that if you are nice to them, they will usually return the favor. A 4-point ticket being knocked down to a 2-pointer is a whole lot better than copping an attitude (pun intended) with the officer. All you'll get in return is the 4-pointer...and maybe a ticket for license plate location, an unsafe vehicle ticket for those worn tires, and whatever else he can think of. On top of that, he'll probably remember you and hit you just as hard the next time.

I realize they put up with a lot of crap on a day-to-day basis, so I figure they don't need any from me.....and the best way for them not to have to deal with me is to...........................

RUN!!!!!!! :wheelie:

j/k.... :blum:

C.R.S.
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Just get to know your local LEO's and things usually workout to the good.
Here in Laurens, My wife (knows most of'm with the type work she does) and I know most know of'm and these folks are :ok: and are very understanding. Considering the *#$%&? they put up with my appreciation goes out to them!

As I stated in an earlier post say howdy!

later

screamday
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Anyone see today's copy of the Greenville News and the front page story about how the police are going to heavily patrol Hwy 178, Hwy 11, and the surrounding areas?

:Benson:

This sucks. If I remember correctly, isn't the speed limit 35 on 178 north of 11? That's hard to do through there.:confused:

Wanderer13
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Just get to know your local LEO's and things usually workout to the good.
Here in Laurens, My wife (knows most of'm with the type work she does) and I know most know of'm and these folks are :ok: and are very understanding. Considering the *#$%&? they put up with my appreciation goes out to them!

As I stated in an earlier post say howdy!

later

I am always very courteous if I get pulled over. The usual "Yes sir/mam's, etc.". This legal system is all about who you know and how much $$$ you have. It pays to have friends in high places.

Desmo Demon
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
This sucks. If I remember correctly, isn't the speed limit 35 on 178 north of 11? That's hard to do through there.:confused:

I want to say 55 past the horse stables, 40 by the first curve, and then 45 at the opening where the field is on the left, as you head toward NC. The really long straight section with the passing zone is something ridiculous like 40 or 45 mph. Which is a shame because that is the only place to shoot up considerably higher than that to pass the six cars bunched behind the F'in idiot who was going 30 the whole time and was too f'in stupid to pull over and let the others go by. :focus:

WeKneeDragger
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
North bound to the line
50 to 40 to 45

South bound from the line
40 allllllllll the way down to the 50 at the end

Don't ask me how I know:punish:

I have never seen a two lane road where one direction is one speed and the other direction is different.
Last summer Mr. ST1300 pulled me over.
There were two LEOs in cages just North of the ball field in the gravel area to the right of the north bound lane. I was south bound and I went by them with no problems.
I met the ST1300 about halfway thru the straight stretch at the ball field.
He was north bound and I was south bound. I checked my speedo and was doing mid to high 50's. (my speedo reads about 3.5 to 4 more than actual).
He pulled me over north of Scatter Brains and asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him I didn't think I was going that much over the 45 mph speed limit.
He said " You were doing 53 in a 40. Said my light visibilty was very good and handed me the ticket.
Moral of the story Pay more attention to the speedlimits:rtfm:

screamday
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I want to say 55 past the horse stables, 40 by the first curve, and then 45 at the opening where the field is on the left, as you head toward NC. The really long straight section with the passing zone is something ridiculous like 40 or 45 mph. Which is a shame because that is the only place to shoot up considerably higher than that to pass the six cars bunched behind the F'in idiot who was going 30 the whole time and was too f'in stupid to pull over and let the others go by. :focus:

Maybe I was thinking of 215. Part of that is 35 right off of 64 isn't it?

Desmo Demon
03-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Maybe I was thinking of 215. Part of that is 35 right off of 64 isn't it?
There's a posted speed limit on Hwy 215? :scratch:

I thought the speed limit was "as fast as you care to go depending on gravel, sand, and people in cars driving on the wrong side of the road." :conf44:

:rofl2:

Suzuki Vicki
03-20-2009, 06:45 AM
(Speed Limit: The maximum speed your bike can do.:scooter: )
I think too, it depends on how much crap the officer who pulls you over has had to deal with before they get to you.:rtfm:
"Why no officer, I don't know who that was passing me doing 90 in a 45 while cruising the BRP!"
(You know who you are!:hsfu: )

Desmo Demon
03-20-2009, 08:06 AM
"Why no officer, I don't know who that was passing me doing 90 in a 45 while cruising the BRP!"
I'm glad I wasn't around to hear that conversation. VroomVroom

screamday
03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
There's a posted speed limit on Hwy 215? :scratch:

I thought the speed limit was "as fast as you care to go depending on gravel, sand, and people in cars driving on the wrong side of the road." :conf44:

:rofl2:

:applause: :applause: So true, so true. :burnout:

C.R.S.
03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
If I can get out Sunday, I'll note the speed limits up/down 178 and mark'm on a 178 map!

Ride Safe

David
04-10-2009, 04:57 PM
It's nice to have a member of law enforcement on the forum. And OGRE gives sage advice.

I use several strategies to prevent irritating the residents when I ride those areas. I have the stock pipe on my bike. And I don't ride at the limits of the traction of my tires (too scared to wreck my bike going around a long drop into a valley).