PDA

View Full Version : Anyone meeting up today?

rufrydrsc2
04-05-2009, 07:18 AM
My gf and I are itching for a ride and would like to join some others. Just wondering if anyone has anything planned that we can get in on.

Desmo Demon
04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
My gf and I are itching for a ride and would like to join some others. Just wondering if anyone has anything planned that we can get in on.

Lots of folks were out. If you are ever in doubt, just cruise down to the store at Hwy 11 and Hwy 178. Vicki and I ran into Justin, CRS, and Wekneedragger down there, yesterday.

Justin
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
:hiding:

Fiancee and I hit the dual-sporting trails yesterday, I offered to have Vicki and Desmo along, but something about their sticky street tires and not enough time to change em.... no MI3 instant tire changers on site. :conf44:

Desmo Demon
04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I offered to have Vicki and Desmo along, but something about their sticky street tires and not enough time to change em....
We have to change them, now......

The rear tire on my ST2 hit cords at 2200 miles and Vicki rear tire on the R1 is slick at 2200 miles.....So much for "sport-touring" tires.

C.R.S.
04-06-2009, 07:27 PM

The rear tire on my ST2 hit cords at 2200 miles and Vicki rear tire on the R1 is slick at 2200 miles.....So much for "sport-touring" tires.

Who you guys kidding, Sport Touring Haa, more emphasis on sport!
When yall stop for gas then you tour your tires to see how much is tread is left.

If you guys are Sport Touring then I guess I'm really fast Ha Ha Ha :dance3:

Later

STRETCH
04-06-2009, 08:20 PM

just out of curiosity, what sport touring tire did you run and how did it compare in tread life to say diablos or powers?
the longest lasting tire on the market is the one you're trying to wear out so you can try that new set in the garage.:conf44:

rufrydrsc2
04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I run Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. I really like them. My gf (also named Vicki) and I rode to Lake Lure. I like to ride 178, but never really know anyone to talk to when I stop at the store so I always end up riding alone if we head up there. I'll probably be up there this Sunday as gf will be with her family. I'll also probably be doing some riding next Thurs and Fri as I'm going to be out of town for 3 weeks after and have to get my last fix for a while.

Desmo Demon
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
just out of curiosity, what sport touring tire did you run and how did it compare in tread life to say diablos or powers?
These were some close-out Dunlop D-220 tires that were on sale through Cycle Gear for $80 a tire (Nov/Dec of 2007 date codes).

The first D-220 that we ran was on Vicki's GSXR back in 2006. She got about 2200 miles by the time it hit the cords, but we thought it was a fluke because we'd seen higher mileage with sport tires. Lately, we've seen a huge decrease in mileage, but I think we aren't riding any faster, we actually ride smoother, and we haven't gained any weight....and this is with multiple bikes.

In the past, we were running around 2000-2500 to a rear and 3000-3500 to a front with sport tires and about 500-1000 miles more to a sport-touring tire (Diablo Strada and ME-Z6). Lately, the sport tires are around 1500-2000 for a rear and 1500-2500 to a front. I had my last Diablo front tire hit the wear bars in 1400 miles....I stretched it to about 1900 before changed it out.

We have four more of the D-220s and a new Bridgestone BT-021 to try out, next. I'm not having any handling issues with the sport-touring tires, so every little bit in mileage will help. At the rate we are going, we'll have to park the bikes because we can't afford tires (Since January 1st, we've changed out 13 tires and have two more worn out). Previous history = 18 tires in 2008, 18 tires in 2007, and 14 tires in 2006.

Edit - One of these days I should make a spreadsheet. I can go back as far as '01 with my ST2. I've got records of every tire I've ever run....brand, model, size, and mileage.

Desmo Demon
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Who you guys kidding, Sport Touring Haa, more emphasis on sport!
When yall stop for gas then you tour your tires to see how much is tread is left.

If you guys are Sport Touring then I guess I'm really fast Ha Ha Ha :dance3:
Hey, I'm not much of a "sport" rider....you saw Billy hand me my butt on 215 on Sunday!....nothing like being put to shame by a guy around 60 years old!

Desmo Demon
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
but never really know anyone to talk to when I stop at the store so I always end up riding alone if we head up there.
Most of the folks down there are regulars, so you need to stop and hang out a little while. Once you get to know some of them, you'll run into problems trying to break away to go riding.

C.R.S.
04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey, I'm not much of a "sport" rider....you saw Billy hand me my butt on 215 on Sunday!....nothing like being put to shame by a guy around 60 years old!

Now you know how I feel, when you had me mine!!:punish:

Later:scooter:

Desmo Demon
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Now you know how I feel, when you hand me mine
Yeah, but you are older than me, and.....

I can't help it if you fill your Depends to the point that it sags and gets caught in the chain! I NEED to be in front of you to avoid the pooh-slinging festival! :dump

STRETCH
04-07-2009, 04:27 PM
we should trade notes some time. I have notes on about 20 different sport and sport touring tires I've tried over the last 5 years. even though I get about 30-50% longer life out of tires the information would still be usefull. One of these days I should make a spreadsheet. I can go back as far as '01 with my ST2. I've got records of every tire I've ever run....brand, model, size, and mileage.
I knew a guy once who got 15,000 miles out of a set of pilot powers :whatever: i get about 3000 - 3,500
by the way I've ran the BT021 on my ZZR1200 and while the rear lasted about 25% longer then the average sport touring tire the front just disapeared. I think I went through 3 fronts before the rear was down to the wear bars.
I think they use the same front compound as the BT014

C.R.S.
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah, but you are older than me, and.....

I can't help it if you fill your Depends to the point that it sags and gets caught in the chain! I NEED to be in front of you to avoid the pooh-slinging festival! :dump

OOOOOOOUCH!!
I try and give you a back handed compliment and bang:hunter: our comments always head south of the border.
Aint dat right El Desmo MUCHO POOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Later

Desmo Demon
04-08-2009, 05:22 AM
bang:hunter: our comments always head south of the border.
Just givin' ya a good ribbin'!

So, did you like the new twisty territory you ventured out into with us on Sunday? You'll have to do our full Georgia loop one of these days. We'll try to sneak one of those in every month or so.

C.R.S.
04-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Just givin' ya a good ribbin'!

So, did you like the new twisty territory you ventured out into with us on Sunday? You'll have to do our full Georgia loop one of these days. We'll try to sneak one of those in every month or so.

That part of 276 SWEEEET!!
I remember you said something about the park rangers, I'll keep an eye out for'm

Bucky
04-08-2009, 06:23 PM
What section of 276 did you ride?

Desmo Demon
04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
What section of 276 did you ride?
For some odd reason, Chuck has never been on the section north of Brevard to where 276 meets 215, so we took him on that section on Sunday.

STRETCH
04-09-2009, 08:12 PM

it's a conspiracy, my new sport touring front hit the wear indicators today at just under 2000 miles:conf44:

Desmo Demon
04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
it's a conspiracy, my new sport touring front hit the wear indicators today at just under 2000 miles:conf44:
Vicki has a theory that all tire compounds have been getting softer, no matter what the model, because the bikes of today have more and more horsepower and need the extra stickiness.

I'm starting to get pretty serious about buying a matched set of Ninja 250's next year in an attempt to decrease our tire wear......I'd really prefer to buy an older Bimota DB2 or DB4, though.....or a brand new DB5R....Those will decrease tire wear because I'll be afraid to wreck those bikes. LOL

David
04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm starting to get pretty serious about buying a matched set of Ninja 250's next year in an attempt to decrease our tire wear.

You will really want the EX 500 (Ninja 500). My wife had a 250, and I took it for a spin a few times. For a guy like me, it was like riding a moped. On the other hand, I owned an EX 500, and it could comfortably cruise at 90 MPH on the California freeways.

By the way, is anyone riding tomorrow?

rufrydrsc2
04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
No, I'll be riding Sunday. If I do ride tomorrow it'll be in the evening. Rode home from Charlotte today in the thunderstorms. Unpleasant riding to say the least when you're not prepared for it.

David
04-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Unpleasant riding to say the least when you're not prepared for it.

No doubt. You have my sympathies. I have been caught in storms like this too many times.

Desmo Demon
04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
For a guy like me, it was like riding a moped. On the other hand, I owned an EX 500, and it could comfortably cruise at 90 MPH on the California freeways.
The 500 defeats the purpose of wanting the 250's. If I want to go fast, I have plenty of bikes to do that. Other than decreasing tire wear and increasing gas mileage, a 250 makes a person stress corner speed.....plus, it's more embarassing to get passed by a 250 than a 500. :301:

C.R.S.
04-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Yea I hate it when I get passed by our mutual 250 friend also :scooter: vroom
Later

Desmo Demon
04-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Yea I hate it when I get passed by our mutual 250 friend also :scooter: vroom
I should borrow his bike one day and pass you with it. :scooter:

:dance3:

C.R.S.
04-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I should borrow his bike one day and pass you with it. :scooter: