05-11-2009, 05:10 PM
How do you Trail brake.

a) front and rear brakes
b) front brake only
c) rear brake only
d) i never trail brakes into a corner

rufrydrsc2
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm going to say a, but I only use the rear lever so it's not so much front. Linked brakes for those not in on the conv Sun @ the restaurant.

Desmo Demon
05-11-2009, 06:59 PM
90% front and about 10% rear.

C.R.S.
05-11-2009, 07:20 PM
90% front and about 10% rear.

Oh so that is what the right rear lever is for!!:punish:

Occasionally will tap the rear brake!

Viper
05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
A:lotsofcoffee:

sdzx10
05-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Rear for me. I guess I should say rear brake for me! Something about being leaned over and grabbing the front scares me alittle.

STRETCH
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
b. for my self
I've had bad experiences with rear brake, so I use primarily front on a twisty road.
once that rear tire is off the ground the rear brake is useles anyway.:bounce:

bandit01
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Technically trail braking is when you're on the brakes while turning into the corner. It's a technique used on front drive cars (or anything that has a lot of understeer) to get the back end around. I assume that you're thinking of drifting the rear tire a bit while turning, like you see the racers do. I don't think it's intentional.

If you don't have a slipper clutch you can downshift right before you turn in. That's usually good to hop the rear tire or break it a bit loose.

Why do you want to do this? Hopefully you can practice somewhere safe.

STRETCH
05-15-2009, 08:58 PM
trail braking on a motorcycle simply means that you have not fully released the brake by the time you enter the corner.

you apply maximum braking prior to tip in and then gradualy trail off the brakes as you lean into the turn, being completely off the brakes prior to the apex and rolling back on the gas

this keeps the forks partialy comressed from braking force while transitioning to the the additiopnal force of cornering. too much and you'll overwelm the front tire. not enough and the suspension will extend as you release the brakes and then recompress under cornering force, unsettling the suspension.

this techique also alows you to brake later into a corner, wich means you can apply the brakes later and stay on the gas longer. usualy used on the track for passing manuvers.

as for drifting the rear wheel, that is exActly why I avoid trailing rear brake into a corner. as you brake the weight is shifted to the front wheel and the combination of cornering and braking forces at the rear can easily overwhelm the available traction at the rear tire. (recipe for a low side or high side should you panic and release the rear brake) I know Rossi can get around a corner quicker Intentionaly drifting the rear wheel with the rear brake,but I don't know any one personaly with that level of skill

bandit01
05-16-2009, 06:50 AM
yeah, i forgot about the front vs. rear (I rarely use the rear). Trailing the front brake = good, trailing the rear = bad.

I agree with stretch. The tire has only so much grip, but it can be shared by braking and cornering. Keeping the tire at the limit of adhesion is the racer's 9-5, but difficult to master, especially on the street where the road surface varies. It's not too difficult to keep the brake on enough that the forks stay relatively compressed prior to tip-in.