PDA

View Full Version : ticket

STRETCH
05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
:rtfm:
I got an invitation to return to NC while riding on 107 last week.

As I aproached one of the only passing zones on 107 between 64 and the connector to 130 I down shifted twice pulled out and excelerated quickly around the car, then slowed back to a legal pace.

seconds later I got ticketed for 28 over and making an illegal pass. he said " I pulled out a little before the passing zone began and close only counts in horeshoes and hangrinades"
yes he realy said horseshoes and hangrinades.

sigh........
I guess I deserve it for all the times I didn't get caught.

rufrydrsc2
05-18-2009, 11:18 PM
ewww. NC's retarded with their court costs. You have to pay the fine plus the court costs no matter if you win, lose or pay early. I've won a case and the judge said "I'm dropping the fine, now all you have to do is pay your court costs and you're free to go." I argued that point to the bitter end to no avail.

Desmo Demon
05-19-2009, 08:34 AM
That sucks....

I pulled out a little before the passing zone began
Some of them are real asshats about that. The straight section can start, you can see all through the passing zone, but if you don't wait that last 20 yards for the dotted yellow to start, they'll ticket you. They will also nail you if you aren't completely back in your lane after the pass if the solid yellow starts....

They won't go after the cars that cross the solid yellow in the curves in the mountains, though....I say we remove all solid yellow lines and make it a free-for-all passing.....which is about the way it is becoming, any way.

chawkes5645
05-19-2009, 02:30 PM
What really sucks is that you got a ticket on 107, a previous to now lightly if ever patroled road.They must be moving west.

sorry about your ticket. It seems the motorcyclist is always wrong.

mikek
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
was the officer behind you?

without a doubt, call a lawyer in that county and get the charges reduced.

my last DYL ticket cost me $350 to get a lawyer to turn it into a burned out taillite (equipment violation)

law1200
05-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Man that's going to hurt your insurance, do get a lawyer and fight to get the charges reduce I have a friend that lives in NC and he said you don't have a chance without a lawyer he drives for Gray Hound Bus Co. If you didn't get charged more than 4 pt you can take a class at G-Tech and the course will remove up to 4 pt from your driving record

rookie
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry about your ticket. Last spring I got a 78 in a 65 on I-77 in Va. I thought I had crossed into W Va. where the limit is 70 but I had one more tunnel to go. A lawyer got it reduced to faulty equipment and no points. Lawyer cost $250 and the fine was $281. Well worth it to keep points off my CDL. The rule among truck drivers is "YOU FIGHT EVERY TICKET TO GET IT REDUCED". The same rule should be adopted by all bikers. Be sure to let us know how you do with this one.

Rookie

STRETCH
05-20-2009, 05:56 PM
was the officer behind you?

without a doubt, call a lawyer in that county and get the charges reduced.

my last DYL ticket cost me $350 to get a lawyer to turn it into a burned out taillite (equipment violation)
must have been.
he spent the next 20 minutes expressing his dislike for motorcyclists. He didn't even want to tell me where the town was were I was to apear for court.
So you need a lawyer now to get trafic tickets reduced in NC.
I used to live in NC, and if you got to court before it started there was a line at the DA to get your ticket reduced, on the agreement that you pleaded guilty to the reduced charge. It usualy isn't a big reduction.

Can anybody recomend a good lawyer?
does It have to be a NC lawyer?

mikek
05-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Ya gotta pay somebody, either the court or the lawyer, take your pick. With a DYL and a +15 speeding ticket you are looking at big fines or big lawyer bill.

I think in many NC counties there is still an early morning line where the DA will cut a little deal to move court along, too much of a crapshoot for me.

Maybe the system is slanted this way to keep the $$$$ close to home, but definately choose a lawyer from the county listed on the ticket, he will know the officer and the judge. You really don't want to walk into court in Jackson Co NC with a Philadelpia lawyer....

rodm850g
05-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Stretch,
Don't worry about who to call you will receive ....let me "devine" how many letters YOU will get from Barristers ......"officers of the court" I see at least 5 mabey 9 letters from lawyers in the affected area......The difficult part is wading through to get to the one who is connected.....Did I say that.....
Last time I got a performance award I was just outside of Troy,N.C. and got letters from up around PIttsboro....so dont worry about finding one......Its finding the one that is best connected.....sorry about and congrats on the performance award......Good luck.....as a parting thought.....ALWAYS lawyer up......I'd rather spend $500 or so and have the majority of a potentially three year rape going on by my insurance comapny.....

Rodm850g

STRETCH
05-21-2009, 07:29 PM
guess I'll lawyer up.
I had thought it was a waste of time, let me tell you a story from my teen years.

I was driving a 76 camaro with a 402 big block, 871 blower, 2-750 carbs, a th400 with a 3500 stall canverter and 375 gears. her name was Sonja.

a friend of mine was convincerd his 85 buick skylark was faster:rofl2:
so we pulled up to a stop light on a 4 lane road outside our school and when it turns green I put about 1/4 mile between him and myself.

I assumed by this point the race was over and slowed to a legal speed. As I aproached the section of road that changed to a single lane it also crested a hill, here comes patrick at about 100 mph trying to make a last second pass. well I ratcheted it down a gear and left him a second time just as I crested a hill and saw a cop coming the other direction.

well I decided he wasn't going to get us both so I went to take the first turn I saw, wouldn,t you know it Patrick followed me down that turn and the cop pulled him over. again I think he won't get us both and I kept going. when The cop caugght up to me I saw patrick right behind him:punish:
the cop walks up to me and asks if we were racing. "of course not oficer I don't know who he is" the cop comes back a few minutes later and say " your friend back there says he thought his car was faster then yours" :thgatlin: :bricks: I found out later the cop didn't even ask, he just voluntered it.

OK a month later I take off a day of work to go to court the DA reduces the charge from racing and speeding to careless and reckless. patricks lawyer asks for an extension and the judge orders us both to come back in another month. a month later I miss a second day of work and the judge finds us both guilty of careless and reckless.
the lawyer turns to me and says "you see what I did for you"
my insurance for liability only on a 76 camaro was over $2,000 that year

These days I drive a saturn :Benson:

Suzuki Vicki
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Wow!
I hate to hear about your ticket.
That sucks. I'd agree with everyone else about getting an attorney. I learned that a long time ago. I used to keep at least one ticket on my license at all times!(I've matured since then!)
Terry & I got consecutive # tickets a couple of years ago. (Hwy 178). But the cops were pretty good to us and reduced the speed, so we just went ahead and paid the fine.
However in NC, there is the fine plus court costs which are usually 100.00+. So I would certainly get a lawyer.
You may even be able to take a "safe driving" course and get the violation reduced to "Unsafe equipment". It depends on the violation and if the county will allow it. Certain counties accept it, but others don't. You'll just have to check.
Hope you can get out of it or at least get it reduced!:scooter:

WeKneeDragger
05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/Worst-states-for-drivers.aspx

Fister
05-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Wow.... What ever happend to taking responsibility for your actions? I got a ticket in Rock hill years ago. 92 in a 60. I went to court plead guilty it was dropped well worth the 1 hour trip. Man up and pay your fine. Or listen to everyone else and add to the system.

rufrydrsc2
05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Manning up is one thing. Getting raped for 3 years by your ins company is another. Personally I fight every ticket I get. They get enough of my money elsewhere, no need to get revenue through performance awards.

rocketman1098S
05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
You just have to realize it is simply a revenue generator for the county/state. I do what I can to keep my exposure to a minimum, and if that fails, I do what I can to minimize financial impact. It is a pretty much a game we all play...Most of the LEOs know it as well. I even had a judge tell me in open court, "I'm going to give you a break on points, but the schools need money. Fine set at $180 + court costs." I was happy to pay it. No points, $280 for an original violation of 72/55.

If you show up, and can talk to the prosecutor, you can usually get a reduction.

STRETCH
06-08-2009, 05:56 PM
ON A RELATED NOTE, I have noticed alot of cops hiding near passing zones on twisty roads. At least 3 since my ticket. Yesterday I saw a Ranger hiding in the woods running radar beside one of the few passing zones on the B.R.P. heading towards Cherokee. I parked about 100 yards up from him (just out of sight) and warned every motorcyclist I saw for about 1/2 an hour befor he left. I neaded a brake any way.

drinkoj
06-08-2009, 08:55 PM
ON A RELATED NOTE, I have noticed alot of cops hiding near passing zones on twisty roads. At least 3 since my ticket. Yesterday I saw a Ranger hiding in the woods running radar beside one of the few passing zones on the B.R.P. heading towards Cherokee. I parked about 100 yards up from him (just out of sight) and warned every motorcyclist I saw for about 1/2 an hour befor he left. I neaded a brake any way.

So what you're saying is passing the double yellows may be safer than passing on the dotted lines. ;)

Thanks for heads up, rally next weekend, so I might need that info.

STRETCH
07-16-2009, 07:04 PM
UPDATE

The lawyer got the illegal pass thrown out and the 28mph over reduced to 14 over.
this combined with the trafic safety course I took in greenville means I now have one less point on my license then i did before I got this ticket:reddancer:

rufrydrsc2
07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Congrats! How many points was the 14 over? The defensive driving course gives you 4 points back on your license. At least it did back when I needed to take it.

STRETCH
07-16-2009, 10:07 PM
lawyer said it was 3 pts