PDA

View Full Version : Deals Gap Ride-August 5-6

FJRman
07-10-2006, 08:42 PM
We are planning a ride from Columbia to Deals Gap to ride the Dragon on August 5th & 6th. Already have 3 riders confirmed and invite everyone here to join us. This will be a two-day ride and the pace will be about medium as there will be some cruisers attending. We will be staying at the Iron Horse campground, which is about a 30 minute ride from the Dragon. They have small cabins (some even with a/c Screamday!), a bunkhouse, and tents for rent, or you can bring your own.
Itinerary is as follows:
Meet up in Columbia at 6:15am at Harbison exit off of I26
Leave @6:30am. (We will be riding the interstate to Greenville area to save time)
We will stop at the intersection of 178 & 11 just above Pickens for a break if anyone in the Greenville area wants to join us.
Ride 178 up to Rosman
64 to Franklin
28 up to the Gap
We will stop at Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort for lunch
Ride the Dragon
Back down 28 to check into the campground around 3:00pm
After check in we will decide if and who would like to take another ride on some local roads.
Cookout that night!
Sunday:
We will have a early ride back to run the Dragon around 7am for those that are up to it.
The entire group will depart the campground around 9am for our ride home.
We will come back via the BRP and Hwy 276 back to Greenville
Should arrive back in Columbia before 5:00pm.
We will make plenty of stops for breaks and photo-ops.
This is nearly 1 month advance people so mark your calendar!
Chime in if you are interested! If you have any questions PM me and I will send you my phone number.

Iron Horse Campground
http://www.ironhorsenc.com

Desmo Demon
07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Sounds like a good route and a good time will be had by all that go. I'm not too sure if we'll have a babysitter or not, that weekend, because we will have one for the following weekend for a function in Nashville, but......I hope you have a safe and fun trip.

2lean
08-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I must be blind....I dont see this notification ANYWHERE in the COLUMBIA boards...hmm

maybe a private ride? :scratch:

STRETCH
04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
that section of 64 is kind of a parkinglot any time except ealy sunday morning. I would recomend turning left on 11 and running 13-14 miles down to 130 then take 130 to 107 and 107 to 64 this will still include the most scenic sections of 64 but could cut as much as an hour off your ride. there is also a nice scenic overlook between 130 and 107. and 130 is all sweepers wich your cruiser buddies will probably enjoy a little more then the tighter twistier 178.

you may also want to consider turning on buckcreek road off of 64 to conect to 28 if your in a hurry. 64/28 running north from highlands is verry scenic and there is a 5 mile section called the gorge that is verry twisty and passes 2 waterfalls one that you can ride under. However it is also a parking lot as often as not and buckcreek road is a nice alternative if your in a hurry.

just my 2 cents. there realy are no bad roads between here and there. a lot of people think 28 is more enjoyable then deals gap.