PDA

View Full Version : Different Locations

PGWelch
07-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I need some help from the group. I know that many of you have other (Lesser known) roads you like to ride. You also do not want them to become known to the local mobile revenue generation units who may be lurking within the forums. I am always willing to try new locations if the setting is good for taking pictures and if there is enough motorcycle and sports car traffic to justify my being there. The problem is this, how do I communicate to you (as a group) if I am going to be in a spot that we don't want any unnecessary attention? I understand completely the need to keep these locations unknown.

rufrydrsc2
07-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Binary Code. 1000101010001111000010101. Or we can come up with some sort of secret language, like Wookie. Wow, just let my whole inner nerd hang out on that one. LOL.

PGWelch
07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I guess I was asking for that.

rufrydrsc2
07-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Sorry. I've been bored today. I don't think that the cops really follow us around when we say we're going to be somewhere on here. We post numerious rides on here and rarely run into patrols. I just don't think we're big enough to draw that kind of attention. The thing about 178 is all the complaints that draw the cops. So if you say you're going to be somewhere, and we follow for pictures I wouldn't think it'd be a problem.

PGWelch
07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
I just don't want the riders to face any unnecessary hassles or give law enforcement any reason to put extra patrols in certain areas. I think I can find most of the popular riding roads and even the lesser known riding roads, but I don't want to make anybody in here mad if I post that I'm going to be in a certain spot for taking pictures.

trophystock
07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
both 130 and 107 above 11 are fantastic.

STRETCH
07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
What you have there is quite a dilema. while overly popular roads are less enjoyable and more dangerous for motorcyclist, they are potentialy more profitable for a photographer. a great secret road wont stay that way long if you advertise it. better buisnes might be to stake out more popular roads like wolf pen gap or blood moutain.

clemson1
07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
LOL this is what your binary code says "Š" you need to watch your zero's and ones never know what will come out

C.R.S.
07-20-2009, 08:41 AM
I need some help from the group. I know that many of you have other (Lesser known) roads you like to ride. You also do not want them to become known to the local mobile revenue generation units who may be lurking within the forums. I am always willing to try new locations if the setting is good for taking pictures and if there is enough motorcycle and sports car traffic to justify my being there. The problem is this, how do I communicate to you (as a group) if I am going to be in a spot that we don't want any unnecessary attention? I understand completely the need to keep these locations unknown.

We could try the PM route to the regulars and line up locations for ya that way. With a coordinated effort it shouldn't be that difficult.
For us Photo Dummies, let us know what your looking for ?
Keep us posted? If you have any questions post or PM me if you'd like?

LAter

Slippin
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I would think we are a relatively small group. Not big enough to sustain a profitable business.

You may want to stick to roads that are already popular (like the ones Stretch mentioned) so that you get a higher traffic volume and then just post up the where/when stuff so we can make it there if we want. I don't think you taking pics there and letting us know would change the total number of motorcycles on those roads enough to increase any sort of police presence that may already be there. In fact, if you alternate between a handful of roads it would probably keep the police presence down overall versus if you just stayed at 178 every weekend.

The idea of a "secret" photo shoot on a less popular road that is just PM'ed to members is pretty cool - but you might not get enough money out of us cheapskates to justify doing it.

Desmo Demon
07-20-2009, 10:21 AM
With the trees in full bloom, you have lost lighting for some really good curves. Summertime limits the places you can set up and get good shots. There are actually a few curves just above Scatterbrains (Bob's Place) that stick out beyond the trees and provide good picture opportunities (depending on the positioning of the sun, of course). When the leaves drop, you'll have more potential shots than you'd probably want to sort out.

For roads, your best bet will probably be to stay on 178. Caesar's Head is far too shaded. Other roads in the immediate area will have you bored on the side of the road waiting for some action. Hwy 107 has crappy pavement and good action shots will be rare. Hwy 130 just tempts people to do triple digits, and those guardrails are not very forgiving. The Watershed is too shadey, crappy pavement, and not much traveled.

Now, for setting up a small group photography session, you can start a post asking for how many people are wanting their picture taken on a given weekend. Through PMs, you can set a time and place, and the place can be in any nice hole-in-the-wall location that has limited traffic. Also, by doing this, you can set up for a couple of hours, take several pictures, make everyone happy, make a few bucks, and still have a lot of your day available.

Now, for the clincher......no matter where you set up, try to make sure you have a cell phone signal. When a photographer is around, some people tend to get stupid by riding well over their heads and wind up crashing. In this case, you may want to make sure you can at least call 911. There is nothing worse than having a wounded rider and having to send someone down the road while looking for a signal. Valuable time could be lost.

It may be beneficial to do one-on-one photo sessions. Have the rider choose the day and time and their favoite curve. I know where my favorite curve is. It's actually different than a previous favorite curve......you know, that one that you'll plant the knee every single time you go through it....unless being held up by some cager. Anyway, the one-on-one sessions can provide the rider with a curve they are comfortable with, there won't be anyone else around to pressure them into riding over their head, and after a few passes, you'll hopefully get the "money shot". A small fee to get you out there, regardless of the picture results will guarantee at least money for gas and maybe a burger for your time.

PGWelch
07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow, this is a lot of good feedback. As Terry said, with the trees in full bloom my light situation has changed. I don't have any particular place in mind. But if I do find another good spot for pictures, it is beneficial to know that it is acceptable to openly post the location without messing you guys up. The spot on 178 is wonderful for a lot of reasons. But with a lot of riders meeting early at the store, the shade is horrible, messes with my exposure big time. The quality of the morning shots is really poor. I have thought about 176 between Saluda and Tryon. 28 is nice but more than doubles my travel. I have tried Caesars Head, the light is bad and there is not a big interest. I'm not really at the stage in business yet where money is a huge deal. I'm trying to refine what I'm doing so that I can get higher quality shots. I just need to take a day to ride some roads. But once again my main concern is to not p*** you all off by posting a location and drawing unneeded attention from the authorities. I'm on your side.

Desmo Demon
07-20-2009, 03:51 PM
I have thought about 176 between Saluda and Tryon.
That is a nice road.....if you are going fairly slow. There are far too many bumps in the pavement that can skirt you almost clear across the lane if you are going fast enough. There also isn't much bike traffic on that road. I know of all the times I've been on it, I've rarely seen another bike in passing.

I'll have to start paying more attention to roads and lighting when I go riding.

C.R.S.
07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Instead of binary code, develop a CR code that simple folks like myself could understand?

We could come with some road/code names:

Road/Location Code Name

Store HWY11@178 = De Sto 1
Echo Valley Store = De Sto 2
War Woman Road = Women at War
Ceazars Head = Roman Emporer
Water Shed (Old Hwy-25) = ?
107 = ?
130 = ?
??? = Tire Eater
Etc.........

I'm not sure if this can be done from PG's site (or by cell) or even if its worth it. If there is a sudden photo location change, Who ever would like to be notified would recieve a text or V-mail stating the new photo location. I'm not sure what is involved in doing this.

Or just frequent PG's site for any upcoming changes.

If you could provide some requirements for your photo's as we are out and about, I'll be glad to be one of the scouting party and note these locations for the biker populus

!!

rufrydrsc2
07-20-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't know about most of the others but most of the time when Scott, Stretch, and I go out we'll start in one place, but very very rarely end up doubling back to ride the same road. So it's kind of hard to say where to sit because we'd usually only come by once and I wouldn't want to have you bored if there is no other traffic.

Dilliw
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I still think you need to work the various rallys at Cruso. That's on 276 about 4 miles on the other side of the BRP, but riders from there also often hit 215 especially the Waynesville side and to me that would be better fit. The owner probably wouldn't mind if you placed a sign on where you would be shooting and your website. They have a calendar posted but it doesn't look like it's been used this year.

The Guzzi rally will be there 31 July- Aug. 2 Wherever you will be that weekend I can spam your photography and location on the wildguzzi board with probably just a little harassment :) There are no organized parades and riders will just fan out over most of the good NC/SC/GA roads.

And a Guzzi (who makes those?) rally is small time compared to the BMW or Wing folks.