PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out for Deer

Desmo Demon
07-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Just wanted to give everyone a head's up that the deer are really active around here lately.

The doe are walking around with their little Bambi babies and out at all times of the day. Additionally, Vicki and I have been seeing a lot of doe with twins, so if you see a deer, watch for a baby, and if you see one, don't be surprised if there is a second one, too. In the last week, we've seen three sets of twins.

When riding in the mountains and you run across a doe with her baby, don't assume that they both can escape. It is not uncommon for the mother to be able to scale a steep slope on the side of the road, but the baby can't climb it and then freaks out, zig-zagging all over the road, when it can't follow its mother, so........be on the watch for deer.

Vicki's seen them at 9-10 am and we've both seen them between 4-9 pm, so just assume that the whole day is fair game (pun intended) for deer sightings.

rufrydrsc2
07-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Looks like deer season will be good this year.

rodm850g
07-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Guys ,
Sunday found us doing a local ride...within our county, have found some roads that on early Sunday for the most are unoccupied...but that not to include the wild life.....My riding partner was in the lead and down this one road we went pace about 75-80 ish....when sure enough bambis son skampered out into the road....Don on his ST1300 did a grat job slowing down
and I had to avoid the ever enlargening rear end of the ST to keep my VFR from harm....some folks dont care fr the linked brakes or even the ABS but I disagree....I like every advantage my old arse can get! saved us from a bambi,VFR ,ST1300 hodge podge ......ride alert and well....
Rodm850g:dance3:

rufrydrsc2
07-21-2009, 10:04 AM
I agree Rod. The group I was riding with on Sunday had someone start to pull out infront of us, and I was very thankful for the linked braking. It just makes hard braking so uneventful.

Desmo Demon
07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
My riding partner was in the lead and down this one road we went pace about 75-80 ish
I've got a theory that with a quieter bike in front, and a loud bike behind it, the louder one can scare out animals that dive right in front of the quieter bike (that apparently they were not aware was there). Over the last two years, I've watched Vicki kill two rabbits, a chicken, and hit or have near misses with several birds, squirrels, chipmonks, and whatever else my ST2 can scare out.

rufrydrsc2
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Remind me not to get in Vicki's path while she's riding. She's quite deadly. LOL

D-Day
07-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I've got a theory that with a quieter bike in front, and a loud bike behind it, the louder one can scare out animals that dive right in front of the quieter bike (that apparently they were not aware was there). Over the last two years, I've watched Vicki kill two rabbits, a chicken, and hit or have near misses with several birds, squirrels, chipmonks, and whatever else my ST2 can scare out.

My theory is you have a small mammal trebuchet on your bike and you've been flinging those creatures into Vicki's path.

STRETCH
07-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I prefer to be able to control how much of each brake i use and find it hard to believe i'll stop faster with linked brakes if the rear wheel is off the ground under max braking anyway, but do like the idea of a.b.s. although i've never tried an a.b.s. equiped bike. as for the critter killing since i got the yamaha i've killed a cat, a dog, a ground hog, a posum and a bird in one year. do not anger the yamaha! cant say for sure if the dog lived.
the fz1 is a very quiet bike and i was riding alone every time. so maybe loud pipes save critters .

rufrydrsc2
07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I've found that something about the linked braking keeps the rear wheel down much more under max braking. Probably because it keeps the front from diving by applying the rear a split second before applying the fronts. On Sat I laid into them hard with no worries. You can still modulate how much of each brake you want to use, it just adds in some of the other one at the same time to keep the bike settled. On a VFR when you apply the front brake only it uses 10 pistons on the front and one on the rear. When applying rear only you get both rear pistons and 2 up front on the left caliper. The only thing is it makes a nightmare of brake lines! 5 lines total. ABS is something that I definately wish it had, but it took forever to find one with saddlebags, lotsa luck finding one with abs and saddlebags. Plus with an ABS bike, you actually lose all control of the brakes and it becomes completely electronic. I have trouble giving total control over to a machine.

rodm850g
07-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Guys,
Like Desmo DEmon having more than one bike has benefits...Lkie my ST1300 with ABS and the linked brakes......ITs cool to be going down the way and hit the rear brake and the front end "dive".....I do really like the way you stop and not slide in the wet.....like the way I come rolling up on my front lawn a bit too quick ...after the dew had "fallen".....I stopped...no slip ,slide,over come gravity....Am getting used to my VFR and I know there are differences of opinion on the linked brakes..but I like em less likely to lock up a rear brake.....and I haven't noticed a lot of difference in how long a set of pads wear...one vers. the other......I do know my old GS850 if you hit the rear brake too hard you are no longer riding...you're sliding.....but technology is good and I embrace it...any body really want to go back to carbs or points....
Nah I don't think I do....
Ro

Desmo Demon
07-22-2009, 11:20 AM
do not anger the yamaha!
Maybe it's a Yamaha thing. ;)

Wolfman
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I prefer to be able to control how much of each brake i use and find it hard to believe i'll stop faster with linked brakes if the rear wheel is off the ground under max braking anyway, but do like the idea of a.b.s. although i've never tried an a.b.s. equiped bike. as for the critter killing since i got the yamaha i've killed a cat, a dog, a ground hog, a posum and a bird in one year. do not anger the yamaha! cant say for sure if the dog lived.
the fz1 is a very quiet bike and i was riding alone every time. so maybe loud pipes save critters .

Ive lost count of the number of squirels my FZ1 has taken out. One day within 15 minutes I got 4 (2 of which were on the Dragon :eek:). And my FZ1 is far from quiet :scooter:

STRETCH
07-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Carnivorus motorcycles

fatbacklow
07-23-2009, 09:00 PM
with current ride I have 2 cats, a dog, a possum, a bird and a squirrel