PDA

View Full Version : questions about gear leather racing/ride suit ect.

matto
08-19-2009, 01:02 PM
well, i have been riding a few years now, going on 4 now. and i started off doing mostly riding around the city (columbia) now i go up to the mountains more often. i have the basic mesh jacket with all the thin armor, and some mesh paints.

now that im getting more serious about mountain riding, i would like to know some of your opions about a mostly street suit, but has the ability to use it on the track if needs too

my budget is around $500 new or used. could possible go a little higher, was looking at some 1 pc suits, the low line alpinestar trigger $699 most places, new model, and the older sg-1 is now on sale for $499. also the joe rocket suits are around $500 in 1 pc and 2 pc. also the frank thomas is getting decent reviews for a great budget suit at $299. they also make another model thats around $399.

my big question is will it be worth it to get the 1 pc for just mostly mountain riding. a problem i see with the 1 pc, is that if i go to lunch or something in the mountains, i cannot really take it off, no where to store it on the bike, and what would i wear the riding boots and shorts :haha: . but with a 2 pc, i could take off the jacket and still wear the pants.

im sure a 1 pc is going to be more protection, but is it really neaded??

DucatiJeff
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
If you have any thoughts about ever doing a track day then I would upgrade to some sort of one-piece with built in back protector. I think anything though is better than nothing. Ideally you have a two-piece for the street and a one-piece for the track. The advantage of the two-piece that zips together is that you can take the jacket part off when you take a break like at a restaurant or someplace like that.

Either way - a 2 piece that zips the pants and jacket together is just fine and many track events will permit that too. I would get the two-piece, some good boots, and some gauntlet gloves. I like the Alpinestars line of gear.

Here's a pretty good deal depending on your size:

Alpinestars SG-1 suit + SP-1 gauntlet gloves - $400 (LaGrange) (http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/1312329006.html)

buster
08-19-2009, 02:06 PM
If you're going to do only 1 or 2 track days a year and can only afford one suit, buy a 2 peice. It will be fine on the track. Get a good back protector that extends to the lower back and even in the very rare event that the 2 peice separates you will still have something between skin and pavement. As far as suits, the ones you mentioned are fine but, I would also check out Fieldsheer. They have been getting rave reviews for low cost quality that really holds up well to a crash.

matto
08-19-2009, 02:31 PM
i doubt i will even to 1 track day a year, i have never been and i just dont know if i will ever get a chance to. maybe once every other year ??? :(

anyways, i think i will probably go 2 pc, i think i need a 40/50, but it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to try one on to see, i wonder if cycle gear keeps any in their store, probably not

C.R.S.
08-19-2009, 03:43 PM
As far as an entry level Leather 1 or 2 Peice suit checkout the Frank Thomas Line @ Cycle Gear. I've had my 1-piece for about a year now.
Little tight when I first got it, now it has stretched out and is real comfortable and holding up well.
I ride the mountain twistees mostly and will do a Track Day in the future.
I'm ready but the bike budget isn't.

Dianese, Alpinestars, AGV, you cant go wrong.
Teknic, Joe Rocket are also descent too.

Good Luck on your choice

matto
08-19-2009, 04:00 PM
right now im leaning towards a 2pc alpinestar sg-1 suit. its seems really nice for the money

the gray and black to match my gray helmet

http://www.2wheel.com.tw/pics/20080921-8864585.jpg

Slippin
08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
A little bit of a thread jack but along the same line.

Does anyone know of somebody that works with leather, specifically switching out zippers so that a jacket and pants of two different brands can connect? Both the jacket & pants have both sides of the zipper, the zipper is just not the same size.

Thanks.

matto
08-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Does anyone know of somebody that works with leather, specifically switching out zippers so that a jacket and pants of two different brands can connect? Both the jacket & pants have both sides of the zipper, the zipper is just not the same size.

Thanks.

hmm, my joe rocket jacket, and frank thomas mesh pants are like that too

STRETCH
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
As far as an entry level Leather 1 or 2 Peice suit checkout the Frank Thomas Line @ Cycle Gear. I've had my 1-piece for about a year now.
Little tight when I first got it, now it has stretched out and is real comfortable and holding up well.
I ride the mountain twistees mostly and will do a Track Day in the future.
I'm ready but the bike budget isn't.

Dianese, Alpinestars, AGV, you cant go wrong.
Teknic, Joe Rocket are also descent too.

Good Luck on your choice
+1 ON THE FRANK THOMAS

I've had my 2 piece frank thomas for a few years and about 80,000+ miles of twisties and am very happy with it. ($400 from cycle gear) I've crash tested it twice, one realy bad one (totaled the bike) and walked away from both without any road rash. I replaced the cheasy back pad with a Dainase CE2 $70 that fits in the stock pocket with some velcro to keep it in place.

On the other hand there is a company that will build tailor made suits 1 or 2 piece for around $500 - $600 http://www.spartanleathers.com/

matto
08-19-2009, 08:05 PM
$500-$600 is pretty good for a custom suit. im going to see if i can get a good deal on the alpinestar 2pc, if not i will probably look into the custom ones or the frank thomas

STRETCH
08-19-2009, 10:54 PM
spartan leathers also has replica 1 piece suits for $250 these are not tailored suits but off the shelf.

http://www.spartanleathers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=g99sbv4kljdob7eqr9f55h83b0

Desmo Demon
08-20-2009, 07:09 AM
I wear a one-piece all the time and have never even considered a two-piece suit. I just like the one-piece better, and I've never had any issues with going somewhere to eat. I simply pull the upper section off and let it hang. Same thing when standing around while taking a break. There are some concerns with having to go to the bathroom in situations when you have to sit down, though.

As for suits, I've seen some really good deals on closeout Alpinestars the last few months and have seen some absolutely killer deals on close-out AGV leathers. Whatever you do, do NOT buy any Teknic items with the name "Chicane". They should have named them "Shit-Cane".....as they tend to tear apart at the seams, don't have crap under the leather to protect you once they rip, and if you crash hard enough, you'll probably wind up walking with a cane (the Chicane suits are really cheap and made of thin goatskin). The Teknic Lightning model is a LOT better.

buster
08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Actually, Teknic stopped using goatskin and switched to cowhide in their chicane suits a few years ago. :ok: That said, there are better options for the same money. A lot will depend on fit and your body type. If you are thin Alpinestars and the like will fit you better. If you are heavy Joe Rocket is the way to go.

Fastbrit
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Just got the new Cycle Gear flyer today, they have a special offer on Frank Thomas one piece suits. If anyone is interested.

Desmo Demon
08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Actually, Teknic stopped using goatskin and switched to cowhide in their chicane suits a few years ago. :ok:

That's good to hear. I bought one in October of 2003 and it was absolute crap.

NKDBKrider
08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I have to agree on the large quantity of suits for thin people, but one thing that I have noticed is that you also have to be vertically challenged. The only option that I have is to go with custom since I am thin, but far from vertically challenged. I was very happy to see the link to Spartan leathers. I have already contacted them and will be placing an order for pants in the next couple of weeks.

matto
08-20-2009, 05:46 PM
well im am skinny but 6', im going with a 42/52 if i get the alpinestar. the measurements for the 42/52 in the a* are pretty much spot on for me

bandit01
08-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks.

The zippers typically don't require any special sewing equipment, because they aren't connected directly to the leather. My leathers are 1 piece, but my textile suit zipper attachment just went through mom's sewing machine, no problem.

I have a 1 piece. My only complaints are that the back of the knees are really loose, so I get folded material that puts a lot of pressure on me, and the arms are just a tad too long, and get in the way of my gloves. Gauntlet gloves typically have an upper wrist velcro strap, and then the wide velcro at the opening.

Definitely try before you buy, and get slightly larger than you are. I bought an old teknic off ebay, and was pretty lucky that it fits as well as it does.

Bucky
08-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know of somebody that works with leather, specifically switching out zippers so that a jacket and pants of two different brands can connect?

Try Z Custom Leathers (http://www.zcustom.com/) for custom leathers, cleaning, repairs.

Also Lizzy Leathers (http://www.lizzyleather.com/) and Spyder Leather Works (http://www.spyderleatherworks.com/).

Locally, try J&A Sewing, between Easley and Pickens, SC, 307-9650. Motorcycle rider who does awnings and boat covers. I had a couple of things repaired there. They do not take checks or credit cards.