PDA

View Full Version : Regional Motorcycle Photography

PGWelch
11-13-2009, 06:19 PM
The purpose of this thread is to allow ANY photographer who is doing motorcycle related photography in the SC Mountains/Greenville-Spartanburg region to post schedules, updates, information and answer questions concerning motorcycle related photography.

More rules are likely to develop (no pun intended) as the thread matures and as the moderator sees fit.

PGWelch
11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I'll get this started.

My schedule can be found here:
http://pgwelchphotography.com/gallery/8042713_cMP3H

I will be on Highway 215 this Sunday November 15, 2009. I will be set up near BRP. I should be at the big open area just south of the parkway where I can use the big rocks as a backdrop.

PGWelch
11-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Pictures from today are uploading. The weather was great. I ended up with 172 motorcycle pictures - mostly cruisers. I took pictures at 2 different locations. The first was half a mile south of BRP. I decided to move to another spot about half a mile further south. I like the second spot better for pics. It's not ideal. The pavement is not in great shape in the surrounding area. The curves are not really tight, which makes it difficult to get pics of bikes with a lot of lean. However the lighting is great for this type of year. I will return to this spot again. As with any new spot, it will take me a few outings to fine tune where I need to be to get the best shots.

I am scheduled for 178 in 2 weeks. That may change based on weather and other factors.

STRETCH
11-16-2009, 04:33 PM
If you go back in the winter you may find people climbing the Ice in that same location.

photo courtesy of LAW1200

C.R.S.
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Great Pics as usual!!:congrats:

I'm guessing thats the pulloff/lookout just before you get up to BRP.
Looks like a good location. What are your best pic times for this location?

Later:outtahere:

PGWelch
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Ice climbing - I may have to check that out for winter photo ops.

Times for this location - the light is good all day. No shade to flake out my exposures. I noticed the colors on the bikes really seemed to come alive. If the weather is good I may go up to 215 again within a couple of weeks. The weather is going to be the limiting factor between now and spring. Another bonus of this location is new business - if I can get some riders up there. Maybe Killboy could ride down to get his picture taken.

Here are links to the pictures.
Motorcycles - http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/North-Carolina-Highway-215/November-15-2009-Highway-215/10330491_ZjvAN#714266339_JXBmc
What I do when there are no motorcycles - http://pgwelchphotography.com/Nature/Waiting-for-Motorcycles/20091115-Highway-215/10344512_JoPie#715577170_aRBRi

PGWelch
11-29-2009, 06:16 AM
Just wanted to drop a note - Even though the weather is going to be nice today, I won't be taking pics. I need to be in Hickory Tavern at 11:00.

PGWelch
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Due to weather I will not be taking pictures on 178. I MAY brave the weather for the Christmas parade (I think it's on the 13th).

There will be some pricing changes at the beginning of the year. I will be changing to a different print lab that is a little more expensive. However to help the members of the forums, I will be offering discounts through the use of electronic coupons. This is a new feature that my webhost is providing. I will also start posting in the vendor section when I get the coupons set up.

PGWelch
02-20-2010, 06:30 PM
With the weather looking much better for tomorrow 2/21/10, I plan on checking out the road condition up on 178 and will probably stop at my favorite spot to see if any riders come on by.

rufrydrsc2
02-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Per Amos today, roads are nasty. Probably won't be many out on the curves. I plan to aviod them for a few more rains at least.

STRETCH
02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
With the weather looking much better for tomorrow 2/21/10, I plan on checking out the road condition up on 178 and will probably stop at my favorite spot to see if any riders come on by.
your favorite spot was down to one lane for construction as of Friday. but other then that road conditions south of Rocky Bottom have been pretty good all winter. heavy salt and sand north of the passing zone.
Ice climbing - I may have to check that out for winter photo ops.

photo courtesy of LAW1200

PGWelch
02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I got out a bit early today. No bikes anywhere. Like Stretch said south of Rocky Bottom was good, north was bad. The road was back to 2 lanes today. It looks like there was a washout of the shoulder and a lot of rocks and sand have been put there to reinforce it. I ended up going up to 215 just to have a look. 215 is very bad. I then headed west on 64 to cashiers, turned down 107 and then 130 to 11. Roads seem to be good at lower elevations and still very nasty at higher elevations. I did find a couple of possible picture taking spots near 107 and 130. Do those roads get a lot of bike traffic? By the time I got back to the store, there were a lot of bikes out so I went back up to my spot and setup. I ended up with a couple hundred bike pics in about 2 hours. They should be up later this evening. It felt good getting out again.

PGWelch
02-23-2010, 07:16 PM
I just want to leave a note letting everyone know that there may or may not some problems going to pgwelchphotography.com for a few days. I am in the midst of transferring the domain name and with my luck there are bound to be some glitches during the transfer period.

Pictures from Sunday are posted.

STRETCH
03-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey Patick are you planning to be out this weekend?
forecast is looking warm and sunny.:beach:

PGWelch
03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey Stretch,

Good to hear from you. I do plan on being out Sunday, if the rain doesn't kill it. I would love to be out Saturday but I have plans to be at Hagood Mill to shoot a friend of mine.

Patrick

Metalhead
03-19-2010, 05:15 AM
I would love to be out Saturday but I have plans to be at Hagood Mill to shoot a friend of mine.

PatrickGood God man! You shoot your friends? I'd hate to be your enemy.:hunter:

Sorry Patrick, I just couldn't pass that one up.:dance3:

Stoney.pgwelchphoto
03-19-2010, 07:59 AM
Good God man! You shoot your friends? I'd hate to be your enemy.:hunter:

Sorry Patrick, I just couldn't pass that one up.:dance3:

:newrofl: Yeah, Patrick you walked straight into that one!!

C.R.S.
03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
:newrofl: Yeah, Patrick you walked straight into that one!!

What kinda of shot do you use: #8 Bird Shot or tequila shot :hunter:

rufrydrsc2
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Depending on his friend's name it could be Buckshot. LOL. This can keep going and going.

Stoney.pgwelchphoto
03-19-2010, 09:06 PM
What kinda of shot do you use: #8 Bird Shot or tequila shot :hunter:

Wild Turkey shot, if I'm not mistaken, lol. So, I guess that would be bird shot....right

PGWelch
03-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Today's weather kept me home. Sorry.

A couple of weeks ago I took a trip over to 28 and War Woman. There are some spots over there I want to try out. I may head over that way this coming weekend if the weather will cooperate. All of the spots on 28 that may work well are on the Georgia side of the line. The SC side has a lot of guard rails that would interfere with taking good pics.

STRETCH
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
28 just nort of warwoman has some realy great corners. (see pic:ok: )Warwoman would also be great if it wasn't still covered in pea gravel:hang2:

PGWelch
03-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Although It's not on my schedule, if the weather looks decent Saturday morning I will probably be over on 28 in the vicinity of War Woman. At the very least I'll be able to get some test shots at different places.

If I do get over there it won't be until around noon. Tammy has an eye appointment in the morning and will need me to take her. They always dilate her eyes.

STRETCH
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
rode by about 1:15:scooter:
didn't see ya ):

STRETCH
04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
patrick, I just tried to visit your website, and it apears to be gone. Have you moved it?

PGWelch
04-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi everybody. I was out Sunday at my normal spot. A lot of cruisers were out but not many sport bikes. The pictures are up. I came back with some interesting pics.

Stretch also reported some issues getting to my site. If anybody has problems getting in I need to know. http://www.pgwelchphotography.com

I switched registrars last month and have had a few setup issues, but the site address is still the same.

Patrick G. Welch

PGWelch
04-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I hope everybody who had mishaps this weekend is doing well.

In addition to the normal gallery of Sunday's riders I have put up a small paranormal gallery of some phantom riders cruising through my favorite spot in Rocky Bottom. http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/Phantom-Riders-at-Rocky-Bottom/11894527_YrGTX#841775739_bz7A2

Check it out.

Patrick

Desmo Demon
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
In addition to the normal gallery of Sunday's riders I have put up a small paranormal gallery of some phantom riders cruising through my favorite spot in Rocky Bottom. http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/Phantom-Riders-at-Rocky-Bottom/11894527_YrGTX#841775739_bz7A2
I heard there was a camera-hog on 178 yesterday, but for the life I couldn't see him anywhere. I did see a bunch of pictures of John, though. :newrofl:

The new photogrpahy looks pretty cool, btw.

C.R.S.
04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
I heard there was a camera-hog on 178 yesterday, but for the life I couldn't see him anywhere. I did see a bunch of pictures of John, though. :newrofl:

The new photogrpahy looks pretty cool, btw.

I think Desmo could be the new Casper the Unfriendly Ghost ! :boxing: He He

Desmo Demon
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I think Desmo could be the new Casper the Unfriendly Ghost ! :boxing: He He
I'm just jealous I wasn't able to ride.....hopefully I'll make it up with a 1000-1500 mile extended weekend ride April 30th.

Where were you? I had that bushing with me for your tire changer.

C.R.S.
04-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm just jealous I wasn't able to ride.....hopefully I'll make it up with a 1000-1500 mile extended weekend ride April 30th.

Where were you? I had that bushing with me for your tire changer.

Totally forgot about the bushing, ARRRRRRG!

If you'll show some charity and let me ride with yall on the 30th I'd apprciate it. :ok:

Desmo Demon
04-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Totally forgot about the bushing, ARRRRRRG!

If you'll show some charity and let me ride with yall on the 30th I'd apprciate it. :ok:

Sure....I guess you better be ready to ride up to Mt Airy, though. :D

C.R.S.
04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Sure....I guess you better be ready to ride up to Mt Airy, though. :D
Is this the Ducs spring Fling??

PGWelch
05-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I was on 178 today. There was very little traffic of any sort. I came home with a little over 200 pics today. It was a pretty good batch of usable ones though. I stayed until the rain started at about 3:30. A large percentage of the bikes were BMW's. Did BMW have something going on in the area? Today's pictures are currently uploading and should be complete in the 8:30-9:00pm range.

I saw a few more "Phantom Riders" today. I will be adding those pics to the Phantom Riders gallery in a day or two.

I have been doing some work on the website. It will look a bit different than what you are used to. I have incorporated a slide show that I will be slowly adding picture to.

Here is a link to todays gallery: http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-16-2010-Rocky-Bottom-SC/12205898_tFztB#869047146_uwvg5

flynfink
05-17-2010, 01:25 PM
The BMW and the duc ST that came south around 12:30 was me on the red ST and Bob on the BMW..I think I gave ya a thumbs up going by

That's me -> http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-16-2010-Rocky-Bottom-SC/12205898_tFztB#869056791_QVqos-A-LB

BobDesmo -> http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-16-2010-Rocky-Bottom-SC/12205898_tFztB#869055522_8Zf4c-A-LB

flynfink
05-17-2010, 02:53 PM
BTW, that was my first trip down 178, really enjoyed it.

C.R.S.
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I always show up when your leaving!! ARRRRRG.

I pointed at you when I rode by around 3:30.
I was on the Silver/Red TL1000S.

Catch ya next time!!:outtahere: :scooter:

PGWelch
05-17-2010, 05:34 PM
I always show up when your leaving!! ARRRRRG.

I pointed at you when I rode by around 3:30.
I was on the Silver/Red TL1000S.

Catch ya next time!!:outtahere: :scooter:

I saw you but the raindrops had started to fall. There was a deputy not too far behind you.

C.R.S.
05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I was aware of'm, just taking it easy.
Hope ya have a good week!

Desmo Demon
05-17-2010, 10:07 PM
BTW, that was my first trip down 178, really enjoyed it.

Did you see the pics of you and Bob? I think you are on page 3, IIRC.

Desmo Demon
05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I was aware of'm, just taking it easy.

Yeah....I say that too when someone is gaining on me and I can't pull away from them. :newrofl:

C.R.S.
05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah....I say that too when someone is gaining on me and I can't pull away from them. :newrofl:

OWWWWWWWWWWW?? Figured you'd chime in at some point!
Hope you and your Boss been doin well:boxing:
Somebody at De Sto told me about'm before I left?

LAter:outtahere:

PGWelch
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
There are a few new pictures up in the Phantom Riders Gallery. My next scheduled date on 178 is this Sunday May30th. I hope to have a lot of riders coming out due to the holiday weekend. If I can get a fair amount of traffic, I'll be able to put up some more Phantom Rider pictures.

http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/Phantom-Riders-at-Rocky-Bottom/11894527_YrGTX#877833309_2RQYr

In other news, I will have some of my motorcycle pictures hanging in The Cafe at Williams Hardware for the month of June. All pictures will be for sale. They will all be matted, ready to frame, and most will be 14 x 11. They have very good food.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travelers-Rest-SC/The-CafeWilliams-Hardware/71125344400.

I will also be taking pictures at Michelin's Laurens Proving Ground on June 5th. It is the first time Michelin has opened the tracks to the public. This is a Corvette day. Michelin has been heavily into Corvette racing and also makes OE and replacement tires for the Corvettes. Many of these tires are produced in the plant that I work at. For those familiar at all with Michelin, you know how tight Michelin is with any kind of photography. My main focus at the event will be taking pictures on the big track. Some of the pictures may make it to the corporate website.

STRETCH
05-24-2010, 08:41 PM
make the michelin man your b****

RyanK
05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I will also be taking pictures at Michelin's Laurens Proving Ground on June 5th. It is the first time Michelin has opened the tracks to the public. This is a Corvette day. Michelin has been heavily into Corvette racing and also makes OE and replacement tires for the Corvettes. Many of these tires are produced in the plant that I work at. For those familiar at all with Michelin, you know how tight Michelin is with any kind of photography. My main focus at the event will be taking pictures on the big track. Some of the pictures may make it to the corporate website.
Very cool. Good luck!

STRETCH
05-27-2010, 12:25 AM
There are a few new pictures up in the Phantom Riders Gallery. My next scheduled date on 178 is this Sunday May30th. I hope to have a lot of riders coming out due to the holiday weekend. If I can get a fair amount of traffic, I'll be able to put up some more Phantom Rider pictures.

there will probably be alot of motorcycle trafic Monday, being a holiday with a pretty forcast:scooter:

PGWelch
05-27-2010, 06:41 PM
there will probably be alot of motorcycle trafic Monday, being a holiday with a pretty forcast:scooter:

Unfortunately, The plant I work at does not shut down for Memorial day. Only a certain number of people are permitted to take vacation at any one time and the quota for my team is spoken for already.

PGWelch
05-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Bad day for pictures. Almost noone out. Rain chased me off 178 shortly after I got there. The sky looked clearer to the north so I headed to 215 and BRP. The rain followed me there. The good thing is I found a new spot on 215 that seems as though it will work well. It is 5 miles from US 64. The road is in fair condition at that spot (unlike the rest of 215). It would be so nice to have good pavement on 178 and 215. The few pictures I have from today will go up tomorrow evening,

trophystock
05-30-2010, 08:18 PM

http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/Phantom-Riders-at-Rocky-Bottom/11894527_YrGTX#877833309_2RQYr

In other news, I will have some of my motorcycle pictures hanging in The Cafe at Williams Hardware for the month of June. All pictures will be for sale. They will all be matted, ready to frame, and most will be 14 x 11. They have very good food.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Travelers-Rest-SC/The-CafeWilliams-Hardware/71125344400.

I will be there also handing out free water as it will probably be very hot and there isn't much shade at the track.

PGWelch
06-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Although not motorcycle related, Corvette Day seemed to be a success for everybody involved. It was very hot and humid, but still enjoyable. The free water from Charles aka TrophyStock was a lifesaver. I enjoyed meeting Charles and drooling over the fast cages he brought. I rode as a passenger in a C5 convertible to try some pictures from inside a moving vehicle at high speed. I didn't get what I wanted from the pictures, but still got some good shots. Thanks to a gentleman by the name of Steve Simmons for giving me the ride. I came home with over 1000 pictures. They are slowly getting processed and uploaded. Two galleries are up plus the home page slide show. Thanks to everyone in here for keeping me busy and giving me the knowledge of what the camera settings need to be before taking the first picture.

PGWelch
06-11-2010, 06:22 PM
There is a slight change of plans for Sunday. I will be on 215 taking pictures instead of 178. I think many riders may be looking for the cooler temps. at higher elevations.

STRETCH
06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
:approveofthat:
I may just have to ride to mount mitchel to get out of the heat for a while.

trophystock
06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Although not motorcycle related, Corvette Day seemed to be a success for everybody involved. It was very hot and humid, but still enjoyable. The free water from Charles aka TrophyStock was a lifesaver. I enjoyed meeting Charles and drooling over the fast cages he brought. I rode as a passenger in a C5 convertible to try some pictures from inside a moving vehicle at high speed. I didn't get what I wanted from the pictures, but still got some good shots. Thanks to a gentleman by the name of Steve Simmons for giving me the ride. I came home with over 1000 pictures. They are slowly getting processed and uploaded. Two galleries are up plus the home page slide show. Thanks to everyone in here for keeping me busy and giving me the knowledge of what the camera settings need to be before taking the first picture.

Patrick,
Good to meet you and the pictures turned out great, thanks.
CWB

PGWelch
06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Today's pictures are uploading. Traffic was light. There was a definite bias towards HD's. However I also spotted an Indian and a nice Triumph. I think I spotted a couple of forum members as I was getting ready to head home.

http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/North-Carolina-Highway-215/June-13-2010-NC215/12545101_MrDdm#900008651_xNAkS

1literhogbeater
06-13-2010, 08:39 PM
I took 215 into Waynesville Saturday, and waited about 10 minutes at the stop sign where it runs into 276, waiting on about 5000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Mustangs to pass, must of had some kinda gathering.

STRETCH
06-13-2010, 08:40 PM
I rode by at noon and about 7:00. Must have missed you

Desmo Demon
06-13-2010, 09:06 PM
I think I spotted a couple of forum members as I was getting ready to head home.
Vicki and I rode slowly by at around 2-ish, I think. I was on her black Ducati ST2 like my silver one....I'm still trying to get the motivation to repair mine. With the weather, I'd rather drink lots of alcohol by the swimmin' pool instead of work on a bike. :D

PGWelch
06-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I took your picture and you didn't have an encounter with Armco, pavement, or anything else that causes pain? Maybe this will be a better year. I know Vicki was keeping it slowed down for you. What's really weird is I did get two pictures of Vicki, both blurred. I shot a long series of a rider just ahead of you and Vicki and my camera hadn't written all the data when the two of you came up. Something always seems to happen with the camera when you are around.

STRETCH
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
HA.......
you so ugly you broke his camera:newrofl:

PGWelch
06-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I am working on today's pictures. They should be up before bedtime tonight. There were a few more riders out today than what I've been seeing. Caught another Phantom Rider today and it's somebody we know. There is 1 car picture included in today's batch simply because I don't see many Ferrari's driving by. I'll update when the pictures start uploading to the website.

PGWelch
06-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Today's pictures are uploading. All should be ready for viewing by 8:00pm.

http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/June-27-2010-Rocky-Bottom-SC/12718138_Z9X7G#915432068_7t24j

C.R.S.
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
As usual AWSOME PICS :congrats:

PGWelch
07-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I've missed a couple of Sunday's for various reasons. I have a nephew in the Atlanta VA hospital with leukemia I've had to go visit. And the weather has been so hot, I don't feel like roasting along side the road. I hope to be again real soon.

PGWelch
08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok, I managed to make it up to 178 today. I have over 500 pictures to go through so I will probably not get them up until Tuesday evening. 178 was heavily patrolled today. Got a few pics of Pickens County in action. The number of riders on 178 has decreased greatly since last year. I will be looking for some new locations that have more motorcycle traffic that will be suitable for good pictures. I have not found any really good spots on 28 north of Walhalla. And 28 is about a 60 to 90 minute drive from my location. I tried 276 last year with no luck. I do have a couple of decent spots picked out on 215. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am not looking for your favorite uninhabited road, just good riding roads with more motorcycle traffic.

vto1939
08-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Saw you out there today, unfortunately my mustang caravan and little ol me were stuck behind 2 slow trucks so all I could think of to do was point at you while doing 20ish lol, got stuck behind a lot of slow ones today on 178,215,and 276, kinda ruined the twisties today, Still had a good time though with the stang club.

Desmo Demon
08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
The number of riders on 178 has decreased greatly since last year.
That recreation spot has had its visitation slowly dwindle for four solid years now. A lot of it has been due to the attitudes of law enforcement. I think they are getting tired of being up there, too. Their attitudes and lienency have been steadily increasing and dropping, respectively. I know that many of us don't care to use that road for anything other than to leave the state or return, and will use an alternate route for that purpose if it is beneficial. Vicki and I rode this weekend and only saw 178 once.....Saturday morning to leave the state. I think we need them to cut another road between Hwy 11 and Hwy 64. :D

PGWelch
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Saw you out there today, unfortunately my mustang caravan and little ol me were stuck behind 2 slow trucks so all I could think of to do was point at you while doing 20ish lol, got stuck behind a lot of slow ones today on 178,215,and 276, kinda ruined the twisties today, Still had a good time though with the stang club.

Car pics should be posted a little later this evening.

PGWelch
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Car pics are up including the ones of Pickens County.

http://pgwelch.smugmug.com/Cars/August-8-2010-Rocky-Bottom-SC/13274034_raZNa#964249787_5YKcG

PGWelch
08-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Sunday's motorcycle pictures are uploading. The upload should be complete by 9pm or close too it. There are almost 400 pictures in this gallery. And I threw away a lot of pics. The gallery is open for viewing even with pictures still uploading.

http://pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/August-8-2010-Rocky-Bottom-SC/13288809_4Lz8w#965562982_K7deu

PGWelch
08-10-2010, 06:43 PM
That recreation spot has had its visitation slowly dwindle for four solid years now. A lot of it has been due to the attitudes of law enforcement. I think they are getting tired of being up there, too. Their attitudes and lienency have been steadily increasing and dropping, respectively. I know that many of us don't care to use that road for anything other than to leave the state or return, and will use an alternate route for that purpose if it is beneficial. Vicki and I rode this weekend and only saw 178 once.....Saturday morning to leave the state. I think we need them to cut another road between Hwy 11 and Hwy 64. :D

I agree with all of this, however, my question still remains. Where are the riders going to ride? Surely there has to be somewhere that is receiving the riders that are leaving 178.

Desmo Demon
08-11-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree with all of this, however, my question still remains. Where are the riders going to ride? Surely there has to be somewhere that is receiving the riders that are leaving 178.

Some of them don't ride much at all....other's have gone to the track....other's pick roads that are not often frequented, which would mean you'd be sitting there for a while to see a bike. You would want a higher traffic area, and right now they are getting scarce for bike traffic. Vicki and I go on roads where we often don't see many other vehicles and motorcycles are far and few. These are roads without a "hang out" spot, so those who ride them are in it for the actual riding and not the "look at me" mentalities or the braggarts who like to hear themselves talk about how great they perceive their bike to be or how good of a rider they think they are. If it wasn't so far for you to go, 28 and Warwoman would be nice roads in the area, but there isn't a whole lot of bike traffic, usually, and the bike traffic that is there are not the guys who go back-and-forth all day long.

I really don't know what to tell you about a good place to take pictures of bikes, because with the heavy patrolling of 178, the riders are scattering about all over the area and many are puposely avoiding spots with high bike traffic in hopes that the LEOs will go find something else to do other than harass the motorcyclist. I believe that from the history of 178, motorcyclists in the surrounding areas are getting more grief from LEO just because they are guilty by association of being so close to that section of 178. It's like they (the LEO) figure you are probably on your way to 178 or on your way back.

vto1939
08-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I think I saw more bikes at the store than on 178 Sunday, I was leading the mustang club and didn't even know about the deputy that followed the last car until we took a stop in Rosman, but I'm glad I finally made it in some pics even though was unable to make it an action shot lol, having one of the stangs holding a camera out the window dosent work too well. Soon as I decide which ones to get I will be ordering soon thanks! :congrats:
I'll send your link over to the stangs to see if they wanna get any too.

Desmo Demon
08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I think I saw more bikes at the store than on 178 Sunday
Yes, we were there briefly in the late afternoon (after riding other places). Everyone at the store knew the LEO was on the mountain, so some of them stayed at the store waiting for him to leave, and others were discussing other places to go in small groups so they could get some enjoyable riding in. I know of at least one who went to the store, stayed about an hour or two waiting for the cop to leave, said "screw this", and simply went back home.

STRETCH
08-11-2010, 11:50 PM
A few riders have comented that they want their pictures taken, but are unable to prediCt when you will be out. Perhaps. If you could post a date and time it this thread a couple days prior you might get a better turnout.

rufrydrsc2
08-12-2010, 07:02 AM
I've been going up to the parkway and surrounding roads instead of up 178 looking for cooler temps. My plan this past sunday was to return via 178 so I could get some pictures, but it didn't work out.

PGWelch
03-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Spring is just around the corner. It's that time when you just might find me taking your picture around that corner too.

I have not been active in the forums this winter due to various reasons. I am ready to start a new season of motorcycle photography. I might even venture up to my favorite spot this afternoon to check out the conditions and snap a few pics.

C.R.S.
03-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Howdy, Was up there yesterday.
I dont have your photo skills, but with the leaves not on the trees yet it's lookin good for photo time.

Looks like today there will be a lot of folks out and great weather to ride:ohyea: ?

Hope to see ya!

PGWelch
03-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Today's pics are being converted and will probably take a couple of hours before I can start to upload. Hopefully the pics will be uploaded while I sleep.

There were a lot of familiar faces out today. It looks like some of the riders are as rusty at riding as was at taking pics today. I came home with 700 pictures and deleted about 250.

I did get some decent shots of Vicki today...finally, of course they were good...Terry wasn't there.

It felt good being out again. I'm sure those of you who were out riding today feel the same way.

Desmo Demon
03-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Terry wasn't there.
Nope...I was too busy boring the snot out of some 10-18 year old Boy Scouts as I taught three 3.5 hour classes on "Energy" over the weekend, and I didn't get home until after 2pm yesterday.

STRETCH
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
It looks like some of the riders are as rusty at riding as was at taking pics today. .

looks like just a fun game of who can run over the photographer. I especialy like the FZ1 backing it in :P that you wolfman?
those darn decreasing radius turns:focus:
pretty impressive that they both kept it up and rode away though.

PGWelch
03-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Actually the person on the blue bike did not recover. Shoulder was hurting, pride was hurt, and bike did not appear badly damaged. After a little recovery, he rode off.

RyanK
03-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Actually the person on the blue bike did not recover. Shoulder was hurting, pride was hurt, and bike did not appear badly damaged. After a little recovery, he rode off.
Glad he was OK. That had to be pretty spooky for ya though. He coulda been hurt pretty bad had he hit your truck!

Wolfman
03-15-2011, 12:30 PM
looks like just a fun game of who can run over the photographer. I especialy like the FZ1 backing it in :P that you wolfman?
those darn decreasing radius turns:focus:
pretty impressive that they both kept it up and rode away though.
Yeah that was my STUPIDITY

I hadn't ridden 178 in over 2 years, hadn't really ridden the FZ in over a year, new brake pads on front, and came in too hot. All that adds up to STUPIDITY to the NTH Degree.

Amazingly not a single scratch on the bike and as for me just a badly bruised shoulder and an even more bruised ego.

RyanK
03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah that was my STUPIDITY

I hadn't ridden 178 in over 2 years, hadn't really ridden the FZ in over a year, new brake pads on front, and came in too hot. All that adds up to STUPIDITY to the NTH Degree.

Amazingly not a single scratch on the bike and as for me just a badly bruised shoulder and an even more bruised ego.
bummer...and caught on film... I can't believe he recognized you that quick! Not too many blue FZ1's running around though... Just glad you came out pretty unscathed!
So what about the other guy?

STRETCH
03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
actualy with some creative cropping it make for a realy cool pic ;)
dirt tracking the FZ1!!

DeaconBlue
03-19-2011, 03:38 AM
actualy with some creative cropping it make for a realy cool pic ;)
dirt tracking the FZ1!!
Sweeet.
If it were me I'd own that photo & hang it proudly on my wall. :congrats:

Glad all ended well & you're fine.

PGWelch
03-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I am scheduled to take pics tomorrow, but the weather looks like it wants to change those plans. We will see how it looks in the AM.

PGWelch
03-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Sunday April 3rd is a scheduled picture day. The weather forecast is calling for low 70's and mostly sunny.

STRETCH
03-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Sunday April 3rd is a scheduled picture day. The weather forecast is calling for low 70's and mostly sunny.
any idea on a time? a couple of friends have expressed in interest in coming up there this sunday.

PGWelch
03-30-2011, 04:32 AM
I will be out 1130ish until about 3 to 330ish. If a time outside of my normal times works better, such as riding through early for a longer ride, let me know. However with earlier times that section of road is still shaded.

My schedule can always be found here:
http://pgwelchphotography.com/Other/Schedule-of-Events/8042713_cMP3H

STRETCH
03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
sounds good. we'll shoot for the 1:00 to 2:00 time frame

PGWelch
04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I will be waiting. Tammy told me she needs a day to herself, so that's the okay to be out taking pictures as planned.

PGWelch
04-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Today's pictures will probably not be ready until tomorrow evening. I think I have about 700 pictures to go through. It was a very busy day. A Can-Am went offroading early. Another bike went down on the pavement late. Road rash to the rider and the bike. But the bike was ridable. I don't think either is a member in here.

PGWelch
04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Finally...the pics from Sunday are up. There are some good ones in there. Lots of riders. Girls showing off thongs. An offroading graany on a Can-Am. And let's not forget some riders volunteering themselves as LEO bait.

The pics are here: http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/April-3-2011-Rocky-Bottom/16488481_GV9fo#1241092360_ae8e6

STRETCH
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Finally...the pics from Sunday are up. There are some good ones in there. Lots of riders. Girls showing off thongs. An offroading graany on a Can-Am. And let's not forget some riders volunteering themselves as LEO bait.

The pics are here: http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/April-3-2011-Rocky-Bottom/16488481_GV9fo#1241092360_ae8e6

no thong here:eek:

DeaconBlue
04-06-2011, 04:59 AM
I'll be buying a few, Patrick.
Any chance I can get a clean digital image for my laptop when I purchase the prints? It's for my wife of course.....I'm certainly not so narcassistic as to need pictures of myself being cool on a motorbike....*clearing throat*.
:scooter:

PGWelch
04-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I'll be buying a few, Patrick.
Any chance I can get a clean digital image for my laptop when I purchase the prints? It's for my wife of course.....I'm certainly not so narcassistic as to need pictures of myself being cool on a motorbike....*clearing throat*.
:scooter:
Thanks Deacon. There is no watermarking on images that have been purchased. You can also buy digital downloads from my site for use on your computers, cellphones and so forth. I also offer CD's, just not directly from my site. Look on the CD page for ordering information.

PGWelch
04-08-2011, 11:19 PM
My father-in-law was laid to rest Thursday April 7, 2011. The funeral home that was chosen was Woodlawn Sosebe in Anderson SC. They were chosen based on price and their experience at handling military funerals. While talking to the owner, Jim Sosebe, we learned that one of his hearses is a motorcycle hearse built by Tombstone Hearse Company. It consist of a Harley trike pulling a caisson. It is really a thing of beauty. My father-in-law enjoyed motorcycles in his younger days so we requested the motorcycle hearse. Jim was nice enough to let his son hang out for a while after the funeral to allow me to get some pictures of the hearse. I have not yet had time to process the pictures. I am aiming for Saturday. I will be posting the pics as soon as they are ready. I just thought that the motorcycle hearse would be something of interest to the members here.

DeaconBlue
04-09-2011, 07:05 AM
My condolences to you and your family.

Looking forward to those pictures of the Harley Hearse.

STRETCH
04-09-2011, 10:15 AM
the original motorcycle photog knows all about having a BIG sign

PGWelch
04-09-2011, 12:38 PM
BIG SIGN = BIG MONEY

On so many levels.

PGWelch
04-09-2011, 09:48 PM
A new gallery with the Tombstone motorcycle hearse is up.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/Tombstone-Hearse-Woodlawn/16546230_rg2VD#1245872691_5htGF

DeaconBlue
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Received the photos today, Pat. Fantastic service, thank you.
These are great!

PGWelch
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Thank you. I am glad you like the prints. I have recently changed to Bay Photo for the print work. Their prices are a little higher but every picture gets numerous corrections, color, tint, etc. by hand. Not done by a computer like the previous lab.

PGWelch
04-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Just a reminder. I will be taking pictures this Sunday April 17th at my usual spot. http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Other/Schedule-of-Events/8042713_cMP3H

PGWelch
04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Today's pictures have been uploaded.
http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/April-17-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/16654300_QvVNRG#1255514644_zZQg5x5

Today was a very slow day. I ended up with less than 200 pictures. I guess everyone headed to the beach for spring break. No wrecks or off roaders today...thankfully. The most excitement I had today other than watching bugs and butterflies was Pickens County chasing a bike. The bike wasn't going all that fast when it came through. I guess he was looking for a spot to pull over.

RyanK
04-17-2011, 06:33 PM
cool hearse bike. Thanks for sharing.

PGWelch
04-29-2011, 07:06 PM
I am scheduled to be out taking Pics this Sunday. However the time frame has shifted to 10am - 2pm. We have our nephews first dance recital to attend later in the day. This also means that pics will probably not be up until Tuesday evening.

Schedule: http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Other/Schedule-of-Events/8042713_cMP3H

PGWelch
05-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Sunday's pics have started to upload to the website.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-1-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/16894758_x6jDdC#1276332560_qJXv3Wt

John (bigboyon2wheels) stopped by for a few minutes. He mentioned that a lot of riders are just using 178 as a means of getting to greener pastures. But I have noticed that I am getting a lot of new customers coming through. This works out great for everyone. I also told John I planned on scouting an alternate position on another popular motorcycle road sometime in the next month. If I find a good spot to set up, I'll simply post that I will be taking pictures but not give the location. Just a little experiment on my part.

I saw no law enforcement on Sunday.

RyanK
05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I saw no law enforcement on Sunday.
interesting... They were probably all at the gas station. A friend of mine said somebody ran over the diesel pump and they had to shut down all their pumps. Not sure what day it happened though...

Slippin
05-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Just missed you on Sunday...ran by at 1:50 and saw you packing up...maybe next time.

All the pumps were down at the store that afternoon (around 4:30 or 5) but there was no signs of damage that I noticed when I stopped.

Desmo Demon
05-04-2011, 11:25 PM
All the pumps were down at the store that afternoon (around 4:30 or 5) but there was no signs of damage that I noticed when I stopped.
That may have been to that dumbass woman not paying attention and driving into the diesel pump and ripping it free and knocking it over a little before 1.

Slippin
05-05-2011, 09:41 AM
That may have been to that dumbass woman not paying attention and driving into the diesel pump and ripping it free and knocking it over a little before 1.

LOL...I guess I need to work on my observation skills.

PGWelch
05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Today's pics are up.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-15-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/17069497_8MwTDB#1292790611_ntd57Gm

SCFJR
05-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Today's pics are up.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-15-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/17069497_8MwTDB#1292790611_ntd57Gm

Did you just get there? Or did you just pick the best bike for the front page? Or perhaps that good looking guy- the 15 year old on the back :newrofl:

PGWelch
05-16-2011, 04:29 AM
I jhad just gotten there. The pictures are arranged by time taken.

PGWelch
05-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I had an unscheduled picture day today on 178 at the request of a rider. The pictures are uploading now.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-22-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/17178743_GRh5fr#1302424588_twVd7Zw

Desmo Demon
05-24-2011, 05:05 PM
I had an unscheduled picture day today on 178 at the request of a rider. The pictures are uploading now.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-22-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/17178743_GRh5fr#1302424588_twVd7Zw
Weird....I never knew that mohawks had a gravitational or magnetic attraction to solid yellow lines. :scratch:

PGWelch
05-24-2011, 07:20 PM
I think the concept is to align the mohawk between the double yellows. Since the double yellows have been repainted, I see a lot of people (bikes and cars) trying to wear them down. It has to be the magnetic paint.

On an unrelated note. I would like to know if there is any interest in some static artsy bike shots at a scenic overlook at sunset, or at a lake?

PGWelch
05-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Todays pictures are uploading and the gallery is open. It was really hot and boring today. Look for me to move a ways north (215) in June depending on temperatures.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/May-29-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/17293301_pMVxZN

On another note, I have had to go up on my prices this year and also rearrange the pricing structure. If there are pics that any forum member wants of themselves, please contact me (pm) first and I will either issue a coupon for a percentage off or put together a package that will help keep cost down for forum members. It's because of all of you that the business has started to grow beyond the forums. I am getting a lot of customers from outside the area, I even shipped an order to Quebec Canada.

PGWelch
06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
NC215 tomorrow instead of 178. Going up where it might be a little cooler.

PGWelch
06-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Finally put Sunday's pics up. It's two very small galleries. One for motorcycles and one for cars. Traffic was extremely light. There were not even many bikes on 178 on my way home.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/North-Carolina-Highway-215/June-12-2011-NC215/17567626_L7jRk9#1337705525_gGVn5Jc

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Cars/NC-215/June-12-2011-Cars-on-NC215/17568078_mzbfmX#1337746665_gsw5g4X

PGWelch
06-26-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm home from 178 and working on today's pictures. There are not as many motorcycle pictures as usual because of a wreck shortly before 1pm. A Lexus SUV decided to try to take out a tree before sliding down the embankment at my spot. The driver is OK which is more than can be said about the vehicle. I did not get pictures as it was happening...I was too busy trying to decide which way I needed to run to keep from getting run over. Five fire dept. vehicles, one deputy, and two troopers kind of put a damper on getting motorcycle pics.

Motorcycle pics: http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/June-26-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/17754860_2J3tpq

Car pics: http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Cars/US-178/June-26-2011-Rocky-Bottom-SC/17755172_H7C4Cw

Wreck: http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Journalism/Wreck-at-Rocky-Bottom-June/17756374_bXTZkQ#1355785879_9LBgWkJ

PGWelch
09-17-2011, 05:04 PM
It has been a long very hot summer. Cooler fall temps are on the way. Tomorrow looks like a wonderful day for motorcycle pics at the usual location. Maybe I won't almost be taken out this time. See you out there.

PGWelch
09-18-2011, 06:13 PM
It was absolutely dead out there today. Very little traffic of any kind. No law enforcement. No sun to warm things up. I will have the pictures up tomorrow.

thatguy
09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
cool

Desmo Demon
09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I was bored and went surfing through the first 6-8 sets of pictures from 2009. It was interesting to see some bikes and people that don't come around any more. Saw a few pics of people on bikes that they have since replaced, too......and then the two-tone TLS that is now a solid color. :crazyass:

STRETCH
09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
I rolled through about 10:30 ish. Had the road to myself. It was still pretty cool out, down right chilly on 215.

PGWelch
09-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Yesterdays pics are up. It is a small gallery do to low turnout. http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/September-18-2011-Rocky-Bottom

@Desmo. I still get quite a few people looking at the older galleries. I need to do some serious work to the site. I really need to put up a new slideshow that highlights everything I do.

PGWelch
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
We are almost through February. I'll be starting to take photos as soon as we get a really nice weekend. I hope to be out every week during the spring. Spring is definitely the best season for the business. I will taper off some during the hotter summer months and hopefully plan more fall dates. I want to get started in two weeks. I'll post up when I start the season.

There is a motorcycle themed art show running the month of March at Belton Center for the Arts. I will have four pictures on display. One Harley (chopper), one touring (Honda 1800?), one sport, and the Tombstone hearse. All are 11x14 prints matted and framed. All are printed on Kodak Endura metallic paper. If you have been wondering what the metallic paper or a bigger print looks like, this is your chance. The bikes really pop on the metallic paper. The metallic paper is an option when prints are ordered through my site.

Hope to see all of you soon.

bigboyon2wheels
02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
We are almost through February. I'll be starting to take photos as soon as we get a really nice weekend. I hope to be out every week during the spring. Spring is definitely the best season for the business. I will taper off some during the hotter summer months and hopefully plan more fall dates. I want to get started in two weeks. I'll post up when I start the season.

There is a motorcycle themed art show running the month of March at Belton Center for the Arts. I will have four pictures on display. One Harley (chopper), one touring (Honda 1800?), one sport, and the Tombstone hearse. All are 11x14 prints matted and framed. All are printed on Kodak Endura metallic paper. If you have been wondering what the metallic paper or a bigger print looks like, this is your chance. The bikes really pop on the metallic paper. The metallic paper is an option when prints are ordered through my site.

Hope to see all of you soon.

Long time no see man. I bought me a new beast, so ill come up there and be the photo hog again for a couple weekends. LOL

PGWelch
02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Good, I need some new knee dragger pics. You still have a couple of freebies coming your way when you decide what you want. Wait and see what the new ones look like.

What kind of bike did you get?

RyanK
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I wanted to add some details for the show, especially since I live in Belton now. I'll most definitly be going!

All free unless you’re entering the show.

Opening ceremonies this Sat. from 7 pm-10 pm. She said there would be snacks and wine.

Hours are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.beltonsc.com/arts.htm

Are you going to be there Sat. night? I'd like to try to get over there and meet you since it didn't work out going 4-wheeling last year...

PGWelch
02-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Are you going to be there Sat. night? I'd like to try to get over there and meet you since it didn't work out going 4-wheeling last year...

Yes, I will be attending Saturday night. I will also be at the show on the 24th.

Speaking of 4-wheeling. I went up to Horse Pasture last fall. I wanted to take the road out that comes out near Rosman. I didn't make it far. The long, steep hill with loose dirt and gravel wouldn't let me up. It was one of the few times I have not been able to take my truck where I wanted to go. My next truck will be 4wd. My current truck is a 2wd Ranger and no traction lock rear. On that hill it quickly became a 1wd in the dirt.

PGWelch
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Tail of the Dragon has an updated map of good motorcycle roads. Some previously unlisted favorites are now on the list. War Woman, 178 and 276 are all listed. For those who like these roads they might be getting a bit more crowded.

I expect that having 178 listed will help me but really suck for most everybody else in here. I may have to give 276 another try this summer.

Link to the new map.
http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/maps_wnc_ga_tn.html

Desmo Demon
02-29-2012, 09:28 PM
War Woman, 178 and 276 are all listed. For those who like these roads they might be getting a bit more crowded.
Just what we need. It'll just be more police harassment for all of us.

It's funny that they rank Hwy 76 from Clayton to past Blairsville as "Other Good Roads" along with 178 and 276. There only one section worth riding, and you have to do 80+ to have any fun on it. :hysterical:

RyanK
03-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Pretty small but neat artshow. Great to meet you and your wife Patrick.

We'll probably swing back thru for the bike show on Sat the 24th...

PGWelch
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
@RyanK, Thanks for stopping by. It was good to finally meet you and your family.

PGWelch
03-14-2012, 06:08 PM
This is a probably not an optimal time to get the season started. However Mother Nature says now is the time. I will be at Rocky Bottom starting this Sunday Morning at 10am. I have modified my usual schedule. Between now and Memorial Day I plan on being out every Sunday. That is of course weather permitting. I keep any changes posted here and on my calendar. There is a possibility of some Saturdays as well.

My calendar can be found here:
http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Other/Schedule-of-Events/8042713_PnC2rp

PGWelch
03-18-2012, 06:38 PM
It was a really slow day....except for the deputy chasing a couple of bikes. I hope it was no one in here.

Today's pics are going through the conversion process in post production right now and will start posting to my website after that finishes. It will be a small gallery of about 100 pictures. I deleted about 30% of what I took today. It's a little difficult to get back into a good shooting rhythm after a few months off. I'll update here when the pics start going up.

PGWelch
03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
It's here, it's here.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/March-18-2012-Rocky-Bottem-SC/21999163_KzmPKC

Ifby2
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
It's here, it's here.

Number 15 in your set was pretty cool. I'd buy it if it were me.

PGWelch
03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure, he didn't turn on his blue lights until he was right in front of me.

PGWelch
03-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Number 15 in your set was pretty cool. I'd buy it if it were me.

It can be you. Come on out next weekend.

Ifby2
03-18-2012, 10:33 PM
It can be you. Come on out next weekend.

I plan to be out there some time when you are taking pictures. I'll have to get a shot on the Duc and the Harley...Duc first probably. VroomVroom

STRETCH
03-19-2012, 12:05 AM
It was a really slow day....except for the deputy chasing a couple of bikes. I hope it was no one in here.

Today's pics are going through the conversion process in post production right now and will start posting to my website after that finishes. It will be a small gallery of about 100 pictures. I deleted about 30% of what I took today. It's a little difficult to get back into a good shooting rhythm after a few months off. I'll update here when the pics start going up.
I came through around 3:00 and saw that cop hiding behind the old house just south of "Patrick's corner" he ignored the jeep heading north using every bit of of both lanes and took off after a couple cruising south on 2 bikes at a rather sedate 50mph ish.

Desmo Demon
03-19-2012, 06:36 AM
he ignored the jeep heading north using every bit of of both lanes
You implying that there is something wrong with this? Doesn't the Pickens County drivers handbook specificly state that this is "OK" as long as you are not on a motorcycle? Maybe I read it somewhere else. :scratch:

papadaddyo
03-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Hmm i was sitting on the n.c./ s.c border when a pickens county sc cop came by into nc, on an obvious high speed pursuit..he didnt have his lights on or sirene -which im 2 understand is mandatory on -emergency- im also of the understanding that pursuing from state 2 state requires corresponding state coordinating with the said pursuit!!?!? are there any legal types here that can answer these questions and or give advise as 2 how 2 record and report such activities... eg taking digi recordings???

STRETCH
03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Yup.

they do what ever they feel like.

PGWelch
03-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Just got home from Belton a little while ago. 230+ pics narrowed down to about 150 so far. More cuts coming during processing. Small show. Mostly Harley's. 1 Suzuki and 1 Goldwing. I did get some good artsy pics though. Doing show pics of bikes that seem so much alike is really difficult.

Also a reminder about tomorrow. I'll be at my usual location near Rocky Bottom from 10ish to 4ish.

UPDATE: The pictures from Rally on the square have been uploaded. I know it's mostly Harley's but I think most of you will enjoy the pics.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/Shows/Rally-on-the-Square-March-24/22093457_39M33H

STRETCH
03-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Mostly Harley's. 1 Suzuki and 1 Goldwing.
http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/Shows/Rally-on-the-Square-March-24/22093457_39M33H
I see a Kawasaki.

Ifby2
03-25-2012, 02:18 PM
I know it's mostly Harley's but I think most of you will enjoy the pics.

:punish:

PGWelch
03-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Today's pictures are posting now. Sorry about the delay. I had a computer issue to take care of. I also took a little nap when I got home. Really slow day. 84 pictures in the gallery. Heavy law enforcement also.

http://smu.gs/GSAm7Q

PGWelch
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
There were more bikes out today than previous weeks. Pics from today will be up tomorrow evening. I am working with different software and it's not processing the pictures the way I think it should. The pictures are currently being converted for the second time using my older software. Sorry for the delay.

EDIT: The pictures have been reconverted and are currently uploading. All should be done by about 1230.

PGWelch
04-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Everything with yesterday's pics is straightened out. 4 HP bikes were out and riding together. I think it was a training exercise. It is my understanding that Troop 3 uses 178 for motorcycle training.

Here is the link to the gallery for those who have not found it yet.
http://smu.gs/Hbra0K

RyanK
04-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Some great pics, esp. of the Gixxer draggin a knee...Anybody we know?

bigboyon2wheels
04-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Some great pics, esp. of the Gixxer draggin a knee...Anybody we know?

He's just some photo-whoring squid...

Desmo Demon
04-03-2012, 08:26 AM
:congrats: Yeah, I'd probably agree with this statement. :congrats:

:newrofl:

papadaddyo
04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
i started 2 ask the aforementioned -photo-whoring squid- if he wanted 2 cruise up the mountains but the terrific amount of law enforcement gave me the heebeejeebees :( nice bike btw ;)

RyanK
04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
That's what I thought...Lol. Seriously great pics though!

bigboyon2wheels
04-03-2012, 05:29 PM
i started 2 ask the aforementioned -photo-whoring squid- if he wanted 2 cruise up the mountains but the terrific amount of law enforcement gave me the heebeejeebees :( nice bike btw ;)

Hahaha. Thats why I just pass through 178 on the way to the better stuff...Thanks man. I was wondering if that was you. But i noticed the trooper on the bike on the way down and decided it wouldnt be a good idea to stick around. I really like that burnt orange, real sharp!

bigboyon2wheels
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
That's what I thought...Lol. Seriously great pics though!

Pat can take some killer pics! I have pics on all of my bikes from his site.

PGWelch
04-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Ok everyone. I am going to try something new for all of you. I am offering a coupon good for 25% off of your pre-shipping cost. The ability to offer coupons has been available since last year. I just did not know how and if I wanted to use them. I know that many people in the forums have purchased from me in the past. I want to thank all of you for the support you are continuing to show.

The coupon is good starting this Sunday 4/8/2012 through 4/20/2012. That will give you three weeks to order. It is also good for every gallery and every product on my website. Just enter the coupon code from below during checkout and 25% will be deducted from your pre-shipping price. This is also a good time to get your friends out to have their pictures taken and then take advantage of the 25% off.

I would like some feedback on the coupon idea and of any difficulties during the checkout process.

Here is the coupon code: CRFSP2012

PGWelch
04-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I am adjusting my shoot times somewhat also to give riders who tend to ride at different times to get their pictures taken. I will be taking pictures this Sunday 4/8/2012 from 2pm until 6pm. The following Sunday I will switch back to an earlier time. I will try to work in a Saturday sometime in the next couple of weeks. A Good Friday or Easter Monday shoot is a possibility if there are going to be a lot of people riding. To stay up to date with schedule changes look at my schedule here:http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Other/Schedule-of-Events/8042713_PnC2rp

PGWelch
04-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Just putting up a reminder. I'll be taking pictures tomorrow from 2pm until 6pm at the usual location.

Also the 25% off sale starts tomorrow with the code from my previous post.

PGWelch
04-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Not a bad day. Good weather. I really don't like the shadows later in the day. They add another level of difficulty. The pictures are up. This weeks featured rider is someone most of know as Peanut. Peanut stopped to talk today and mentioned that his wife has a hard time picking his bike out of the bunch, so I thought I would help.

No LEO's at all today. There was a point when one was needed. A large group of squids came through. They were too close for me to keep up with, but I did get a couple of good pictures of one of them who must have thought he was in England.

There is a possibility of doing pictures next Saturday. I will be out bright and early for the Assault on The Carolinas bike (pedal powered) race. I will be set up on a road called Island Ford Road southwest of Brevard...if any of you want to come through that area. I am thinking about doing the bike race then changing locations to 178, or possibly some other place.

bigboyon2wheels
04-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Not a bad day. Good weather. I really don't like the shadows later in the day. They add another level of difficulty. The pictures are up. This weeks featured rider is someone most of know as Peanut. Peanut stopped to talk today and mentioned that his wife has a hard time picking his bike out of the bunch, so I thought I would help.

No LEO's at all today. There was a point when one was needed. A large group of squids came through. They were too close for me to keep up, but I did get a couple of good pictures of one of them who must have thought he was England.

There is a possibility of doing pictures next Saturday. I will be out bright and early for the Assault on The Carolinas bike (pedal powered) race. I will be set up on a road called Island Ford Road southwest of Brevard...if any of you want to come through that area. I am thinking about doing the bike race then changing locations to 178, or possibly some other place.

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Motorcycles/US-Highway-178/April-8-2012-Rocky-Bottom-SC/22346150_vscMgg#!i=1785642333&k=GbWJMhT

This guy has the right idea. I'll just start riding on the left side of the road in left turns to get my riding pace up a little better....:newrofl: :hysterical:

DeaconBlue
04-09-2012, 05:17 PM
^^Good way to become a pulpy hood ornament.^^

I'm not saying I'm not guilty, I just don't do it as a rule.

Sometimes when I'm a little hotter into the corner than anticipated I can stray a bit but, damn, I do my best to recover quickly.

PGWelch
04-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Schedule updates for this weekend. April 14th and 15th.

14th

0830-1100 - Assault on the Carolinas bike race. I'll be set up on Island Ford Road near Walnut Grove Road. There are a couple of nice flat curves there and a lot of open space. Not that I expect anyone in here to battle the bicycle riders, but just in case.

1130-1400 - My usual spot on 178 for those who can't ride on Sundays.

The rest of the afternoon is set aside for my nieces 3rd birthday party. I will start processing pictures when I get home and work as long as I can. No idea when I will actually get the pictures uploaded.

15th

Continue working on pics from the previous day.
1200-1600 - Out at Rocky Bottom again.
Working on pictures again.

As you can see it will be a busy weekend for me. Please be patient waiting for the pictures.

Link to my schedule: http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Other/Schedule-of-Events/8042713_PnC2rp

PGWelch
04-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Today's pics are up. It was a good day as far percentage of usable pics goes. I think there are some really good ones from today.

Don't forget to use the coupon code if you order pictures. The coupon is good for everything on my website. CRFSP2012

I will also be out tomorrow from 12 to 4.

http://smu.gs/HK2mcM

PGWelch
04-15-2012, 07:34 PM
I was only out until 3pm today due to unspecified reasons...

It was a very good day for riders. It is the most I have seen this year. A Pickens County deputy appeared to be trying to find motorcycles doing anything wrong. He came through three times following cyclists very close. I never saw him following a cage. This deputy never stopped at my location like some of the other deputies do.

While traveling from Brevard to Rocky Bottom yesterday I found a couple of promising spots for motorcycle photography on a road that just about everybody that rides 178 knows about. I just don't know how many other riders may know about the road. I'll PM a couple of people and probably go up there one day to do a test run. For now I'll leave the road unnamed. If it turns out to be a good location, I will probably go there on a regular basis and not advertise where I will be. I think it is actually located in NC, but there are no border signs along the roads.

Today's pictures are uploading...almost finished. The feature picture from today highlights a very unique riding style that I have not seen before.
http://smu.gs/HMgDJP

PGWelch
06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I am back taking pictures again. Today's gallery is up.

http://smu.gs/LdVXFe

DeaconBlue
06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Page 3, 14th photo down.

The gal riding pillion on the Ducati 1198 is fighting him in the corner.

I'm so proud of my wife, she almost makes two-up riding effortless.

PGWelch
07-02-2012, 08:55 PM
It's been a little warm for riding I guess. I know it has been a little warm for taking pictures. I did venture out yesterday to shoot the funeral procession of Sgt. 1st Class Brad Thomas. There were a ton of Patriot Riders and Hell's Angels. The casket was carried to the cemetery on a horse drawn caissson and was absolutely magnificent.

http://smu.gs/NYfX0O

PGWelch
04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
My season started today. There were a lot of riders out and no LEO's that I saw. Do to changes in my schedule at my real job, Getting out to take pictures will be sporadic. check my schedule here

http://www.pgwelchphotography.com/Other/Schedule-of-Events/8042713_PnC2rp

I will also try to put the days as events on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pgwelchphotography?ref=hl

I hope to have the pictures up tomorrow night.

PGWelch
04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Pictures are now posting here...

http://smu.gs/ZItzCf

PGWelch
04-14-2013, 08:18 AM
I'll be at Rocky Bottom today for those who are interested.

PGWelch
04-15-2013, 02:40 AM
It was nice seeing so many of you out there riding today and at the store. I know many of you were surprised to find me at a different corner on 178. When I left home I really did plan on going to the usual location. But I decided to try something different and I think this location will work well. I was also getting a bit bored at the old location.

Starting with today's galleries, the pictures will be under a new heading. Instead of being in the set of motorcycle galleries, they are in a new set "Highway US178". This is to help me better organize the website and hopefully help people who are just passing through the area to find the pictures. I will be slowly migrating the old galleries to this new heading.

There are 3 galleries from today. Motorcycles, cars, and bikes. Check out the cars gallery after looking through the motorcycles. A few nice cars came through today.

Today's motorcycle pictures are here:
http://smu.gs/ZVmVc3

PGWelch
04-15-2013, 02:53 AM
I made an observation today that I discussed with C.R.S. and Desmo. I am thinking about putting together a mailing list so that I can email people who are interested in knowing when and where I will be. All email addresses would be kept private and no spam. Just a different way of letting people know when I'll be out. There is another reason behind this that will not be mentioned here. Let me know what you think and I'll take a look at what I would need to do for a group mailing while keeping email addresses confidential.

For those of you on facebook, if you like the pictures I do, go "like" my facebook page.

www.facebook.com/pgwelchphotography

PGWelch
05-12-2013, 09:14 PM
I was taking pictures today just north of Camp McCall.
Here is the link:

http://smu.gs/17jkxop

PGWelch
04-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Wow, it has been a while since I have been here. The work schedule and life really have a way of sucking up the time. I hope everyone is doing well. I made my first appearance today at a new location along 178. This location will work much better than my previous spots. The lighting is great. Check out todays pics. http://smu.gs/1jXWDmK

Ifby2
04-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Myself and a few other riders were riding on 276 during the bicycle race last weekend or so. Saw you snap our pictures but didn't find them on the SmugMug site. Did you post them up?

PGWelch
04-22-2014, 06:56 AM
You are absolutely correct. The pictures will be up later today. I did snag a few motorcycle and car pics during the race.

PGWelch
04-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Ok, for those asking about it. A gallery of motorcycle pictures has been posted from the AotC bicycle race. http://smu.gs/1remoCz

RyanK
04-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Ok, for those asking about it. A gallery of motorcycle pictures has been posted from the AotC bicycle race. http://smu.gs/1remoCz
woohoo! your site isn't blocked at work anymore :beach:

Ifby2
04-23-2014, 06:01 AM

Thank you!

PGWelch
05-11-2014, 07:54 PM
I took pictures today. The gallery is here. http://smu.gs/SRaanJ Traffic was light due to Mothers Day. One idiot in a semi came through. A few squids and one deputy with GoPro cameras were also out and about.

PGWelch
07-06-2014, 08:12 PM
I have a new gallery up. http://smu.gs/1kudiwo

PGWelch
08-03-2014, 06:47 PM
I was taking pictures today. Rain came in early and shortened my day. It's a small gallery with just over 100 pictures. http://smu.gs/1o3nEsA