PDA

View Full Version : Help Save the Dragon!

Stoney.pgwelchphoto
03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.dealsgap.com/save-the-gap/index.html Help Us Save the Dragon

This was posted on the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort FB page.

Desmo Demon
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
No one can say that they weren't asking for such a road closing to happen.

As soon as the slide happened, many people were basically posting on the Internet that the road had become a personal playground for anyone wanting to raise hell on the road, so.......they only brought it on themselves. I mean, like this was a smart thing to post on a website that promotes that area...

If you've ever bitched/dreamed about having the road to yourself, this is an epic opportunity...

Sure it was with a warning of "don't go in thinking it's your own personal race track", but just what do you think is going to happen.

buster
03-23-2010, 03:44 PM
I Think the self righteous are the only group on the internet larger than those asking for it. :ok:

STRETCH
03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
iT'S not permanently closed.
It will be closed this summer, but the summer months aren't a good time to ride up there any way. March is the last good month of the year.

I do feel sorry for Daryl aka. KILLBOY.
I guess he will have to find work this year, as taking pictures on the dragon had been his only source of income for the last 3-4 years.

Desmo Demon
03-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I Think the self righteous are the only group on the internet larger than those asking for it. :ok:
There's a difference between self-righteous and understanding the issues created with storming up and down a single road repeatedly (all day long) and basically begging for the cops to come out and harass people.

I live 17 miles from Hwy 178 in SC. We used to be able to ride up and down it without too much concern, but once people started complaining and bringing the cops out, many of the "regulars" generally tried to stay off the road in hopes that the complaints will go away and so will the cops, but.....for the most part, a select few insisted on staying on the road and continuously harassing the local residents and making them continue to complain.

When the LEOs can specifically tell you who they are looking for (color of bike, leathers, or even their names), it is difficult to dispute why the cops are there. Some of these guys knew the LEO were wanting to catch them and they just thought it was funny. Instead of letting the complaints die down and the LEOs go to another area, we are in our fourth year of continued heavy "enforcement"......it's like a bad case of VD, though....Caesar's Head (Hwy276) was the victim prior to Hwy 178....

What TN should do, though, is sell tickets to the blocked off section of Deals Gap. Figure something like $20 per hour, per vehicle, and they'd make a lot of $$$. ;)

I actually like the concentration of riders at Deals Gap every week.....it leave a LOT of really nice roads in this region almost deserted. :D

iT'S not permanently closed.
Correct....hopefully it won't be closed too long. I know there are many people who plan their annual vacations around that place. It's baffling at the number of people from places such as Canada, Michigan, and Wisconsin who literally take a week's vacation to come down here and ride in our own backyard.

STRETCH
03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
No one can say that they weren't asking for such a road closing to happen.

As soon as the slide happened, many people were basically posting on the Internet that the road had become a personal playground for anyone wanting to raise hell on the road, so.......they only brought it on themselves. I mean, like this was a smart thing to post on a website that promotes that area...

Sure it was with a warning of "don't go in thinking it's your own personal race track", but just what do you think is going to happen.
These people were raising hell before the road was closed to through trafic.
It would actualy be a safer place to ride while closed, even at a "hell raising" pace in my opinion.

Desmo Demon
03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
These people were raising hell before the road was closed to through trafic.
It would actualy be a safer place to ride while closed, even at a "hell raising" pace in my opinion.

I'm not disputing that at all. What I am saying is that when there are announcements of the road being blocked off and it's a great opportunity to go ride it when it is already plagued with heavy LEO activity, I can't feel sorry for it being completely blocked off. It's like with Hwy 178 (and Deals Gap) on any given weekend....when you know there is a problem, why go there and tempt the LEOs to jump on you even more. Maybe make one pass, but don't go there with intentions of just going back and forth repeatedly on it, asking for trouble, and tempting the police. It's just plain stupid. I mean, you wouldn't go to a well-known crack house with a cop standing on the sidewalk and wave a bag of crack in his face as you walk up to the front door, would you?

STRETCH
03-23-2010, 05:32 PM
:o ya got to get your fix:o

But yeah your right, I think the internet forums may have had a part in closing the road, although reports on the same forums were that people were behaving them selves the few days it was opened from the south.

Desmo Demon
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
But yeah your right, I think the internet forums may have had a part in closing the road, although reports on the same forums were that people were behaving them selves the few days it was opened from the south.
I think we need a CRC "Deals Gap Land Fund". We can go buy some property right off of Hwy 129, put a trailer on it, and then ride back and forth as much as we want. When the cops try to give us a bunch of crap about it, just tell them that we keep leaving to go into town and then realize that we forgot something at the house and had to turn around. Figure the only residents to even think about complaining would be us, and we'd be the only ones with any reason to be on the road....I've got $20 I'll donate to the cause. Stretch, you want to be the Treasurer? :D

STRETCH
03-23-2010, 06:45 PM
you may be on to something there.
According to google maps; only east of 129 and west of the river are state park land. That is probably why the photographers are always on the west side of the road.
that would leave the land bordering the west side of the road open for deveplopment. Of course as soon as there is one there will be 100. Then nobody will want to ride there any more since there will be 100 blind drives to wory about:puke:

C.R.S.
03-23-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree with Desmo and Stretch.

I'm sorry for the loss of Killboy's livelihood hope it's only temporary.

To shore up the Rock Slide and the mountain does it really take that long?
All the way until August. I don't think so.

Is the gov't seizing an opportunity to:
a) Eliminate motorcyclist from the area.
b) Close down all the Businesses benefiting from the motorcyclist touring the area. Especially the store.
c) The local neighbors have complained enough to the gov't, hence the gov't using the rock slide as an excuse to close it down.
d) Reasons why it will take so long:
Not a high priority / Gov't Road Repair - we'll get to it when we can /
Behind closed doors - Gov't saying we'll get'm now /
Gov't dragging their feet ? Sounds like the conspiracy has started!

My .02 :boxing:

C.R.S.
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I agree with Desmo and Stretch.

I'm sorry for the loss of Killboy's livelihood hope it's only temporary.

To shore up the Rock Slide and the mountain does it really take that long?
All the way until August. I don't think so.

Is the gov't seizing an opportunity to:
a) Eliminate motorcyclist from the area.
b) Close down all the Businesses benefiting from the motorcyclist touring the area. Especially the store.
c) The local neighbors have complained enough to the gov't, hence the gov't using the rock slide as an excuse to close it down.
d) Reasons why it will take so long:
Not a high priority / Gov't Road Repair - we'll get to it when we can /
Behind closed doors - Gov't saying we'll get'm now /
Gov't dragging their feet ? Sounds like the conspiracy has started!

My .02 :boxing:

Backing up the conspiracy theory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQXIpTZ7o4Y

Desmo Demon
03-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Of course as soon as there is one there will be 100. Then nobody will want to ride there any more since there will be 100 blind drives to wory about:puke:
Ok...you convinced me. Let's buy all the available land....I'll up the ante by 10x my original offer with $200 to go toward the fund. ;)

STRETCH
03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
I wonder:scratch:
the land cant be that expensive. The grade is much too steep in most areas to develop.
Who do you think owns it?

posted from the owner of the store at C.R.O.T.

"The store will be open, we will be racing fiddies, we will be having a fire, we have grills by the fire pit if you want to cook out. The store will be at minimal staff and hours of operation vary with traffic. "

Viper
03-24-2010, 07:37 AM
It was inevitable. Just go to the track instead. Safer and much more fun.:Coffee_Doughnuts:

PGWelch
03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Ok, I have to put my 2 cents in. Add it to the fund to buy land. I do feel for ALL of the businesses that are affected by this act of nature. There are a lot more businesses affected than just Killboy and the resort. Many of the businesses in Robbinsville depend on the cyclists to come and spend their money. I won't comment on the politics involved because I do not know enough about it to give an intelligent comment.

What I do know is that many cyclists will find other roads to travel. The traffic should spread out pretty evenly. This will mean more traffic on other roads, and hopefully spread out so that no area becomes as congested as the Tail of the Dragon. And while I do feel bad for Darryl and his employees, I understand that sometimes life can deal some harsh blows. I do hope that some of the traffic will work it's way in our direction. I could benefit from the road closure. I believe most things in life happen for a reason although most times I fail to understand why. I will continue to do business as I have in the past. If it's meant for me to grow some this year then that's what will happen. I hope to see you all out there riding as soon as the weather cooperates on weekends.

Let's have a safe summer out there.

STRETCH
03-24-2010, 08:32 PM
I do hope that some of the traffic will work it's way in our direction.
:spank2: bad! Bad photo guy! never have such evil words been spoken on a motorcycle forum :hunter:
Keep that sort of sacrilage to your self.

PGWelch
03-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Please forgive me Great Moderator. I'll try not to speak blasphemous words in these forums again. But should I happen to fail I know that there are many here to lead me back to the path of righteousness.

intel_killer
03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I guess I am missing the point of "saving the dragon" ... The only thing we would be saving is the CROT and Killboy. I don't wish those individuals ill-will but I would think that they would have planned a backup plan for if the road was closed, or shut down by cops for the biker crowd.

As it stands now, I'm ok with 129 being closed. It wasn't that impressive to me, and there are a TON of better roads in the area. Eventually 129 has to open just because of logistics and it being a federal highway, maybe not in its current form.

I doubt TN will accept the NC help offered. They hate on principal that NC gets all the tourist destinations and eateries, while TN is left with the emergency and trooper cost on the dragon. As a NC resident, I would hope my tax dollars are not spent patrolling or offering "help" to TN for this tiny stretch of road.

C.R.S.
03-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Please forgive me Great Moderator. I'll try not to speak blasphemous words in these forums again. But should I happen to fail I know that there are many here to lead me back to the path of righteousness.

The righteousness of the Great DesmoDemon will reel you in :newrofl:

STRETCH
03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
posted today on dealsgap.com

"Friday March 26

Ok folks meeting is over, just reread my notes and here it is in a nut shell:

Contract will be awarded monday afternoon. Clean up must begin by 5 april but they can start sooner. Finish date is 31 July 2010 however, huge bonus for finishing before that. TDOT has placed what they call a safe date and are not really sure it will take that long but feel that was a date they could live with.

The barricade at the state line: It will stay there until we can get a few issues sorted out. Swain and Graham county commissioners stated they would have no issues crossing the state line and emergency management teams concurred there is no legal issues with that. The law enforcement is the big issue as it is not as easy to transfer jurisdiction because of liabilities and the dangerous nature of there business. Congressmen Heath Shuler feels that we can work with other avenues such as federal money to help pay for Blount county or TVA to work the gap if THP feel they can not accommodate. For what I heard in this meeting, most of the agencies will not have a issue moving the barricade back it is THP that will be the hold up. Congressmen Heath Shuler, Sen John Snow and Rep Roger West, all from NC will be working hard to make a deal fast with TN on getting this done. No one wants this to be a free for all but wants everyone to be able to enjoy the Dragon and have a great time in the area.

What can you do top help: Ok time to lay off the NC emails and calls other than your letters of thanks and encouragement as they are clearly on our team. We as well as our Congressmen need you to contact the Governors office not by email but please call as emails are not being addressed, email the other TN officials from our save the gap link. We need them to understand that they will lose more tourism dollars as almost all the places to stay are in there districts not western NC. So lets get the emails rocking and burn up the phones. The NC folks said they got a overwhelming response and have heard the call. Thanks Gang, I can not tell you how proud I was to hear that, we have a wonderful community. "

rufrydrsc2
03-27-2010, 07:31 AM
I guess I am missing the point of "saving the dragon" ... The only thing we would be saving is the CROT and Killboy. I don't wish those individuals ill-will but I would think that they would have planned a backup plan for if the road was closed, or shut down by cops for the biker crowd.

As it stands now, I'm ok with 129 being closed. It wasn't that impressive to me, and there are a TON of better roads in the area. Eventually 129 has to open just because of logistics and it being a federal highway, maybe not in its current form.

I doubt TN will accept the NC help offered. They hate on principal that NC gets all the tourist destinations and eateries, while TN is left with the emergency and trooper cost on the dragon. As a NC resident, I would hope my tax dollars are not spent patrolling or offering "help" to TN for this tiny stretch of road.
:congrats: I'm right there with you on not caring about the Dragon being closed. People treat that road like it's the holy grail of motorcycling. While it's a nice road to ride, it's just one (heavily patrolled) road. I do hope that it opens though as it's notoriety and photographers mean that more squids travel there to wreck and stay off our roads. They can have it, I've been there once, that was enough.

buddyholly
03-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Like Stretch, I enjoy riding "the roads less traveled." I suspect the "out of towners" would likely choose another state...WV,Va, or elsewhere. The "day-trippers" such as I will surely find other routes. It is probably naive of me to posit that we could develop a code of conduct. I love the thought of being able to pass a LEO and wave, or nod. Why do the "Floridiots" and locals hate us? 1.) noise 2.) we scare them 3.) control freaks. "Floridiots" and other seasonal homeowners are probably used to buying their way. Mountain folk don't like ANYBODY in their woods. I have family that fits into both of these groups. I met a Pickens Sheriff on trick FJR at da store. We had talked quite a while before he revealed he was a deputy. This man had gone to great expense to trick the front an rear suspension of his bike. He was not a poser.
He said what really pisses 'em off is the triple digit straights. He said 'sure, take the curve speed signs and double 'em, but lay off the WOT on straights.'

Could we try to ride with a hint of concern for others' ears, fears, and prejudices?

Desmo Demon
03-28-2010, 10:57 AM
I met a Pickens Sheriff on trick FJR at da store.
He came into the store while on duty the morning Vicki and I met you a couple of months ago.....he's also a member on this site. ;)

rufrydrsc2
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
He said what really pisses 'em off is the triple digit straights. He said 'sure, take the curve speed signs and double 'em, but lay off the WOT on straights.'
This is the problem that causes our most popular roads to be heavily patrolled. I don't understand why some people feel the need to wring out their bike in the straights, it just ruins resident relations for everyone. 178 is the perfect example of that. I can't feel sorry for someone getting nicked for flying through the straights, and can only hope that eventually riding will become so expensive for those type of people that they will just fade away. I definitely won't miss sitting at the state line listening to a group of I-4's screaming at 12,000rpm's. You just have to wonder WHEN one of them will wreck and screw up traffic on the road for a few hours for the rest of us.

Metalhead
03-29-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm a member at Ducati.ms forum. For the past 4 months, a guy has been putting together a 4 day weekend at Fontana village. The goal was to ride the dragon and then all the other local roads with a couple of local guys who knows where the best roads are. We've got people coming from all over the eastern half of the US.
Once the announcement came about the closing, people started freaking. I told them, that to be quite honest, I was kinda glad about it. It's just too much traffic and the patroling is quite heavy that time of year. I went on to explain, that there were TONS of other roads that were as good as, and quite a few of them, BETTER than the dragon. This seems to have settled most of their fears thank God. I mean, the road is kinda cool, but those lonely back roads are just sooo much better.

By the way, if you're a Ducati owner, or any other bike owner for that matter, you're welcome to come along. The info can be found at Ducati.ms forum. It's in the 'Ducati chat' sub forum under a thread titled 'East Coast meet up'. Or something close to that.

Now if I can get Terry and Vicki with a 'i' to come along.

HINT HINT HINT!:mad: ;)

1literhogbeater
03-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Motorcycling is a microcosm of life in general. From time to time your going to run into idiots. Unfortunately the general public sometimes form their opinions of motorcyclist based on these few idiots and not the population as a whole. All we can do is ride like we have some sense, and hope that those giving us a bad rap will eventually weed themselves out -- however I feel that there are many more idiots waiting in the wings to take their place.

Concerning the Dragon, I guess I was one of the few "lucky ones". I heard the story on the news and decided to ride up and check it out. It's about a 2.5 hour ride from my house near Clemson. I go in on Hwy. 28. I stopped and took a pic of my bike at the sign that said, "US129 Closed in TN". http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/chrispotter/Dragon15.jpg I decided to go past the sign anyway....and boy am I glad I did. I ran the Dragon four times and NEVER met another vehicle of any type. Let me tell you, the the temptation was there to turn it into my own personal playground. I was able to actually get a rhythm through the entire 11 miles. Only time I've ever been able to do that having ridden that road over 100 times. It is a special road, but we are blessed with many in our area - but I'm glad I got to experience it like I did on the Thurs. before it closed. It'll probably never happen again like that for me. I've never seen the overlook like this --- only my bike.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/chrispotter/Dragon8.jpg

STRETCH
03-29-2010, 03:45 PM
the store and hotel will remain open for the duration of the road closure, with a minimum staff. I heard this from the owner saturday afternnon. Buisness is very slow. Plenty of available rooms though.
Personaly I enjoy riding up there without all the trafic or police patrols:beach: . I for one will continue to spend my money there during the road closure.

STRETCH
04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
looks like TN has decided to reopen the dragon for tourism prior to clearing the rock slide. the road is still blocked at the lake. Y'all be carefull up there. The gate will be open 8:00 am to 8:00 pm there will be 2 police cars present during those hours, but no ambulance.

Desmo Demon
04-14-2010, 08:07 AM
I can't feel sorry for someone getting nicked for flying through the straights
Yeah, but 40 mph on 178 is extremely difficult to do. Whoever came up with the speed limits on 178 is a moron.