PDA

View Full Version : Tool kit additions.

buddyholly
06-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I know the bike mags have covered this, but I don't have any of them handy. Question/survey...What do you throw away from your tool kit? What do you add?

Desmo Demon
06-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I know the bike mags have covered this, but I don't have any of them handy. Question/survey...What do you throw away from your tool kit? What do you add?
For me, it all depends on what I'm riding (available storage), where I'm going, and how long I'll be gone. I've often looked at which tools to pack as having a lot to depend on what kind of repairs you are willing to do on the side of the road and I've have thought of there being three levels of preparedness:

Level 1 - You don't plan on doing crap on the side of the road because you either don't have the know-how or simply just don't want to be bothered. In this situation, you carry a cell phone and maybe have programmed or carry a paper list of relevant phone numbers (dealership, towing services, friends)

Level 2 - You are willing to do some minor roadside repairs if it will get you home and save you a few bucks in a towing fee. Moderate kit would include some screwdrivers, allen wrenches, plug kit and CO2 cartridges, pliers, spare clutch and brake levers, and a few other items. Level 1 is included

Level 3 - You'll do everything you possibly can to avoid having to be towed or get ripped off by the towing service and a dealership in the case of an emergency. At this level, you would have everything you would carry in Level 2, but would also have items like a multimeter, soldering iron, solder, wire strippers, chain break and rivoter, extra master links and a small section of chain (if your bike is chain drive), copies of your wiring schematic, copies of other pages from a repair or parts manual that you may feel are beneficial, Battery Tender Jr, maybe a 12-v mini air compressor, and other items (if you have a BMW, take a spare final drive unit). :D

I usually look over the bikes I am riding prior to taking on a trip and think of different items I would be willing to work on and could work on while on the side of the road. One of the strangest things I've done would probably be pulling the fuel pump assembly out of a full gas tank of my 748 on the side of the road in the mountains of northern Georgia to check the lines for splits and to make sure the fuel pump was working. It was fun trying to get it all back together with the swollen o-ring, but we got it all back together (thanks to scavenging a couple of bolts from Vicki's bike to help evenly draw the pump down evenly). Then, again, reinstalling the clutch on my ST2 in a McDonald's parking lot was kind of interesting, too.

STRETCH
06-09-2010, 02:39 PM
the most usefull things I've caried are needle nosed vise grips (even make a decent clutch or brake lever). Tire plugs and a mini air Compressor (I've fixed dozens of flats on the road for my self and others).

I also Cary metric wrenches. .040" safety wire, mini screwdrivers and a spare clutch cable.

I used to cary a clip style master link and chain breaker too, but I never used it in the 100,000+ miles I've been riding a chain driven bike (knock on wood)

Desmo Demon
06-09-2010, 08:49 PM
I used to cary a clip style master link and chain breaker too, but I never used it in the 100,000+ miles I've been riding a chain driven bike (knock on wood)
I lost a chain on I-40 just outside of Needles, CA back in 2003. I was lucky to only have to walk 6 city blocks to a small bike shop and they had one chain in stock in the size I needed. I installed it in a convenience store parking lot with a screwdriver and a ratchet (used as a hammer). It was a non o-ring and was toast before I made it to Nashville but still limped it home.

Teeks
06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Some very good suggestions guys.

I should carry a lot more of that than i do, but i just carry a set of allen wrenches and some zipties.

C.R.S.
06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Gerber Multi Tool +++

RyanK
06-10-2010, 11:10 AM
All I carry is the stock kit, with an added allenwrench or 2, along with some Zipties. I'll carry a tire plug kit if I'm doing more than commuting.

law1200
06-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Okay you ask for it Charley and Terry you can eat your hart out:boast:

C.R.S.
06-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Okay you ask for it Charley and Terry you can eat your hart out:boast:
Where's the Kitchen Sink and the Grill??

buddyholly
06-15-2010, 10:39 AM
See all those goodies!!! Thanks for the suggestions...I need to start a kit of my own...

Wanderer13
06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
See all those goodies!!! Thanks for the suggestions...I need to start a kit of my own...

I find it easier to ride with a friend who already has all these tools with them rather than bring them myself! :scooter: