PDA

View Full Version : 33 year old on '07 Yamaha killed

RyanK
03-15-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.wyff4.com/news/27167209/detail.html

Just wondered if anybody knew him or had any more info on this... It is only a few miles from my house :(

I'm sure we've all ridden this road faster than we should've a time or 2...

sprint_st
03-16-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.wyff4.com/news/27167209/detail.html

Just wondered if anybody knew him or had any more info on this... It is only a few miles from my house :(

I'm sure we've all ridden this road faster than we should've a time or 2...
There were three killed in Greenville Co last weekend according to a friend. I know of another along the Spart Co line as well.

RyanK
03-17-2011, 10:54 AM
There were three killed in Greenville Co last weekend according to a friend. I know of another along the Spart Co line as well.
Yes, there's unfortunately beena lot this month...Guess everybody's getting back out with the warmer weather and forgotten how to ride? It seems that most of them are other people's fault though. there was a guy killed right here in Mauldin (where I work) near the main intersection last week :(

MV031161
03-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Toyota pulling out of his driveway............I bet they are going to blame the biker for Default Reason and the cager will walk away free of any charges, responsibilties.....NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone need to pass this one to Mike Sullivan (lawyer and US Desmo Track rider)

SCFJR
03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Toyota pulling out of his driveway............I bet they are going to blame the biker for Default Reason and the cager will walk away free of any charges, responsibilties.....NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone need to pass this one to Mike Sullivan (lawyer and US Desmo Track rider)

I'm sure they marked him as being a contributor to the accident, just like they did me for a county sheriff turning left in front of me. The ol' standby is 'failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident'. That one is just dumb to me. But mine was because I was doing 'between 27 and 31 mph' in an alley.

sprint_st
03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm sure they marked him as being a contributor to the accident, just like they did me for a county sheriff turning left in front of me. The ol' standby is 'failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident'. That one is just dumb to me. But mine was because I was doing 'between 27 and 31 mph' in an alley.
Just remember that in a democracy (that's a topic unto itself) dominated by dumb chits, the dumb chits rule. The boys in Columbia aren't all that bright and neither are the ones that elected them.

DeaconBlue
03-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Couple of factors were against you. First, you were on a motorcycle so that automatically implies you were speeding whether or not you actually were is of little consequence. Second, it was a sheriff that pulled out in front of you; ain't no way his fellow law enforcment buddies are going to write him up & make it solely his fault.

Once again glad you're ok but it's just a shame it was a cop that didn't bother to look before he pulled into an intersection.

Desmo Demon
03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I'd like to have some more details and find out exactly where it happened. There are places on 288 where the hills and curves make the driveways invisible until you are right on top of them. At the northern most part of the road we have the "roller coaster" where you can literally jump the bike with enough speed. I know sections of the road where it is not too uncommon to double or triple the speed limit when on a bike.....the accident pic in the article shows the bike not far from the car, so I would think the bike wasn't going too fast.....They didn't state that he was not wearing a helmet, so I guess that is their way of telling us he was wearing one (they always make it a point to tell you when they are not).

MV031161
03-18-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd like to have some more details and find out exactly where it happened. There are places on 288 where the hills and curves make the driveways invisible until you are right on top of them. At the northern most part of the road we have the "roller coaster" where you can literally jump the bike with enough speed. I know sections of the road where it is not too uncommon to double or triple the speed limit when on a bike.....the accident pic in the article shows the bike not far from the car, so I would think the bike wasn't going too fast.....They didn't state that he was not wearing a helmet, so I guess that is their way of telling us he was wearing one (they always make it a point to tell you when they are not).

Terry...I based my opinion on the report and pictures...pretty much all I needed to make above statement....

Florida used to have a great slogan in the 80's "Watch for Bikers, Kill a Biker, Go to Jail"

Desmo Demon
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Terry...I based my opinion on the report and pictures...pretty much all I needed to make above statement....

I would also have a tendency to believe the car driver simply wasn't paying attention and pulled out, but......I know the road and I know know the blind spots and the speeds we (motorcycles) tend to travel on that road. I'd just like to have more details before I truly tried to place the majority of the blame on the driver of the car....

Florida used to have a great slogan in the 80's "Watch for Bikers, Kill a Biker, Go to Jail"
Strangely, I have heard this quote and ones similar to it for many, many years, and I actually disagree with it. These types of slogans always sound like the lives of motorcyclists are more valuable than anyone else. Truthfully, I feel that, regardless what the person is riding in or on, ANYONE who causes injury or death from careless driving should go to jail. Our society and its laws protect people who maim and kill while driving (unless the person is intoxicated) because they view it as an "accident" and do not incarcerate them because there is "no malice" in their actions. I believe that any stupidity while driving should be viewed as intent and with malice. If anything, I believe that anyone killing a child should be prosecuted worse than killing an adult.

MV031161
03-18-2011, 05:45 PM
I would also have a tendency to believe the car driver simply wasn't patention and pulled out, but......I know the road and I know know the blind spots and the speeds we (motorcycles) tend to travel on that road. I'd just like to have more details before I truly tried to place the majority of the blame on the driver of the car....

Strangely, I have heard this quote and ones similar to it for many, many years, and I actually disagree wth it. These types of slogans always sound like the lives of motorcyclists are more valuable than anyone else. Truthfully, I feel that, regardless what the person is riding in or on, ANYONE who causes injury or death from careless driving should go to jail. Our society and its laws protect people who maime and kill while driving (unless the person is intoxicated) because they view it as an "accident" and do not incarcerate them becase there is "no malice" in their actions. I believe that any stupidity while drivig should be viewed as intent and with malice. If anything, I believe that anyone killing a child should be prosecuted worse than killing an adult.

Creates awareness but putting fear on them

RyanK
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM

MI has them all over similar to this for construction workers...