PDA

View Full Version : Benefit Ride

Stooty
06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Greetings to you all, Ladies and Gentlemen. My name is Sean Stoots (Stooty is my ride name). I'm a die hard rider (biker if you will, but I hate labels). I live in Clover, SC. I was pointed to this forum by Lee, who owns American Big Twin Cycles in Gastonia, NC. I'm trying to put together a benefit ride for my wife. Her doctors think that she has cancer and we need to get a biopsy. She is not covered by health insurance and I'm a disabled Vet and we can't afford health insurance. My disability is too much to qualify for Medicaid for my wife, if you can imagine that. I know that we all love to ride and we all love to ride for a cause, so I'm turning to you, my biker brethren for help. My idea is to ride through the area, maybe cruise through Kings Mountain National Park and some surrounding areas, then (and I've already set this up with Lee) the ride will end on Franklin Blvd at American Big Twin Cycles in their large parking lot next to the building. At that time, there will also be food and drinks and my band will also play (if this thing can get set up like I want it too, that is). I'm thinking $10per bike and $10 per rider.

I have never put a ride together like this, so I need everyone's input and advice. My friend was going to do this for me, but he got swamped and weenied out on me. I'm also playing a benefit show on the 24th of this month at the Sylvia Theater with my band and another band. I'd love to have a large biker turnout! The ride will be the day after on Saturday, the 25th of June.

Here are some links:

The Sylvia Theater promo poster for the show (you have to scroll down till you see All of a Kind):

http://www.sylviatheater.com/Events.htm

Here is my band's page on facebook and on Reverbnation:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-of-a-Kind/143332089074067?sk=app_2405167945

http://www.reverbnation.com/allofakindband

Please everyone, if you can do this for a fellow biker, a disabled combat veteran of Afghanistan and a brother in Christ - please make it out and help us. I don't like having my hand out, but it's my wife, and I"ve set my pride to the side.

Great first post, I know. Thanks for your time.

Stooty

RyanK
06-10-2011, 10:27 AM
That's not much time to put together this type of ride. I've not done all the work myself, but it generally takes at least a month to really get word out. You gotta put flyers up in every motorcycle shop imaginable and post on all different forums, which you've apparently started.

Unfortunately I"ll be leaving town on the 24th, so I won't be able to come.

Best of luck on the ride, and prayers lifted for you and your wife. Thanks for serving our country!!! :king:

RyanK
06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
1 more thought... There are ways to work this through your church to where people's donations go to your church and are therefore tax deductable for them. Then the church can cut you a check. I've not had to do this, but I know it can be done... I just know some people are more apt to give to a non-profit organization so they can get a tax deduction ...

Stooty
06-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Yes it is coming up rather quickly. I've thought about moving the date out a little, myself. Still may. Thanks again.