Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums

Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/index.php)
-   NC - Raleigh-Durham, Eastern/Coastal NC/SC (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   18/19 thru 24 July BRP Trip?? (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2330)

Mille MIke 06-08-2008 07:21 PM

18/19 thru 24 July BRP Trip??

Gents,

I will have a few days off next month and am starting to look at a trip out west. Here is my pre-trip plan for now.
Leave on July 18th or 19th ride out to Asheville area (meet up with a couple other riders) then ride the BRP and BRP side roads heading in a northingly direction, camp out at any of the many camp sites along the way each night. Do this through the weekend to avoid most of the weekend traffic. Then ride the BRP to VA, pick up the Skyline Drive all the way till it ends about 100 miles into VA. From Asheville BRP to the end of Skyline drive is about 500 miles oneway, with side road will be longer. I plan to stop along the way check out some of the sites and then head back using some different routes but crossing over and using the BRP and Skyline drives along the way. I figure from Fayetteville it could be around a 1500-2000 mile trip.

I'm posting now so everyone can mark their calendor so if anyone would like to ride along or just ride during the weekend part of the trip then you have enough time to ask for vacation time and get the camping gear ready

Mike

rocketman1098S 06-08-2008 10:20 PM

Re: 18/19 thru 24 July BRP Trip??

Hey M and M,
Nice trip, it sounds like! If you are going to get to the Galax/Hillsville/Mt Airy area, let me know when. I live in the 220 +/- milemarker area...

rglee 06-09-2008 07:39 PM

Mike,

Sounds like fun but a couple of us are planning on going to the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio that 2d weekend... been wanting to do that for 10 years. Maybe I can ride with you all for the first day or 2.

Let's RIDE!

rglee 07-02-2008 07:51 PM

OK, everyone's always talking about wanting to do a mountain twisty road trip... let's do it! I'm joining Mike for the first day or 2 anyway. If it's ok with MM, let's leave early the morning of 19 July (Sat), hit the twistiest possible roads up to Jonahs Ridge (on the road to Sportbike Nirvana) above Morganton, rest, eat and gas up and then hit some of the finest, most varied selection of lightly traveled roads (and only half the distance from here as Deals Sucker Gap). Ride with MM Sat and Sun until he and the north bound crew continues toward VA, then those that want to, we'll head home. I'm open to either camping or cheap hoteling it - MM, are you camping at Willville or vicinity?

Let's RIDE!

meanstrk 07-03-2008 10:08 AM

I am gonna be at VIR the 18th for track, so I am out....

rodm850g 07-03-2008 01:46 PM

Rick,
Don't know for sure but I might have an expenses paid ride up to Mid Ohio.....
Local racer/moto type guy you know ..hardly ever rides with us but has long history with motorcycles here....his Dad was original owner of the Yamaha shop...before Tip..... He is gonna drag a toy hauler up there..... needs minimal help in his pit....sounds like a winner to me. Says when he pits I track stand him & give him a glass of h2o...might be able to do that.....I'll know more soon.....

RodVroomVroom :assshaking:

Hath_Dan 07-06-2008 05:36 PM

Rick, I'm down with riden with you and MM and anyone else that goes that weekend. Especially that weekend being pretty much my last weekend here in this city of Fayetteville I think it would be fun!

Also I'll be riden my bike to Cali and I'm thinkin on my way to there that I would like to hit Deals Gap to see what all the fuss is about. And try to hit some nice roads from there to Cali if at all possible through the mid-west. I'm leaving the weekend of the 26th. I doubt anyone will wanna ride that six hours with me but if anyone does theres a wide invitation open! If not any advice for great routes to Cali don't be shy to let me know!

Well, I look forward to hearing from anyone!

Dan

Mille MIke 07-08-2008 01:42 PM

Re: 19 thru 24 July BRP Trip??

ok gents, lets lock this down, we can meet at G.C. Sat 19th and leave NLT 8:00am this will give anyone a chance to eat breakfast if they want too.

Rick, I was planning to pitch a tent and just camp under the stars during this trip along some of the camp sites on the parkway, but if you know of a couple of camp sites off the parkway then we can get together early in the week and you can show me where they are on the map. I am not locked into any one camp site or another, I can pitch a tent any place, but not outside your hotel rooms..lol

see you guys this weekend for our normal ride, and we can talk a little more about the trip in person

Mike

rglee 07-14-2008 07:47 PM

Re: 19 thru 24 July BRP Trip??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mille MIke
ok gents, lets lock this down, we can meet at G.C. Sat 19th and leave NLT 8:00am this will give anyone a chance to eat breakfast if they want too.

Rick, I was planning to pitch a tent and just camp under the stars during this trip along some of the camp sites on the parkway, Mike

OK all you Easy Riders, Queasy Riders, Chopper Chicks, Biker Babes, Crotch Rocket Jockeys and everything in-between,

Stop talking about it with your friends, reading about it in magazines and dreaming about it in your sleep! Let's do it! Hit some absolutely fantastic roads (half as far as Deals Gap, one fourth the traffic and one tenth the cops) in the mountains and camp out under the stars, swap tall tales around the bonfire while sipping some of the Cap'n - good times to be had by all. As stated earlier, leave from Golden Corral at 0800 Saturday morning (right Mike?). I'm camping out Sat night and then hit some twisties on Sunday and then be back to Fayetteville Sunday evening. Or you can do it right and head on up to Virginia with Mille Mike. I'd go but I have no leave time saved up. I think Dan's going... how about you Ducati Matt, Iwannagofast, Don, Rod???

Let's RIDE!

rodm850g 07-15-2008 06:43 AM

Guys,
Sounds like a good time to be had by one and all.....alas , I'll be down in Chadborne helpin to marry off a nephew....least I won't be in no monkee suit.....You guys ride well and hook Dan up, leaving us for bigger and better things...not often we get a new rider that has done us proud as him.....It was my pleasure to get a last ride before he heads back home....
On the other hand the following weekend I'll be on my way to Mid Ohio
gonna be a pit boy for an old friend that does some flat track racing and some AHRMA racing too.....Rick yoy got my number so call me and we'll party down South style up yonder......Again you guys have a great ride and Dan take care....hope to see you in the Winter....

Rodm850gVroomVroom :assshaking: