Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums

Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/index.php)
-   NC - Charlotte, Greensboro/Central NC (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dual Sport Ride (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2009)

vfrcauv 02-05-2008 05:35 PM

Dual Sport Ride

Just got a KLR650 last week and went on my first DS ride today. Two DS riders told me about roads to ride North of Morganton, so thats where I rode today. Rode Old 18 to & from Morganton, Brown Mountain Beach RD, Craig Creek RD, Timbered Branch RD (FR982), RT 181, and BRP. The KLR engine is still breaking in, so I took it easy and got 60MPG! The KLR is lots of fun on dirt, sweepers and twistys. The photos are Wilson Creek. VroomVroom

DS riding is Great!

kevinm 02-05-2008 07:02 PM

Re: Dual Sport Ride

Just got mine in November. There are some great roads in that area. Be sure to check out Old 105 and Table Rock roads. I wasn't sure what the roads were like up there so this past weekend I started exploring Uwharrie National Forest just on the other side of Albemarle. Found a nice camping spot. I'm taking my KLR in early Saturday morning for its break-in checkup. If I get it back in time and the weather's good I'm tempted to strap a tent on it and head back up there for a short camping trip. Here's a couple of pictures from the area.

The roads are flatter and there aren't as many views but it's all new to me and exploring is the best part. My only regret with the KLR is that I didn't get one 20 years ago.

vfrcauv 02-05-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinm
Just got mine in November. There are some great roads in that area. Be sure to check out Old 105 and Table Rock roads. I wasn't sure what the roads were like up there so this past weekend I started exploring Uwharrie National Forest just on the other side of Albemarle. Found a nice camping spot. I'm taking my KLR in early Saturday morning for its break-in checkup. If I get it back in time and the weather's good I'm tempted to strap a tent on it and head back up there for a short camping trip. Here's a couple of pictures from the area.

The roads are flatter and there aren't as many views but it's all new to me and exploring is the best part. My only regret with the KLR is that I didn't get one 20 years ago.

Great places to ride in the Carolinas and I will check out Old 105 & Table Rock Road. Rode in the early 70s to mid 70s and stopped until last May. Its great to be riding again! VroomVroom

Wanderer13 02-05-2008 11:11 PM

Been itching to ride the DR again since CAW. Rode the Hypermotard for a few hours on Sunday. Waiting for my new rear tire to arrive for the DR, but still have about one trip left on this tire. Have tent will travel.

Bill, glad to see you found some good roads and are getting your bike broken in.

Kevin, shoot me a message the next time you head up to Uwharrie. I have been meaning to head up there but I thought they closed it down for the winter.

vfrcauv 02-06-2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Bill, glad to see you found some good roads and are getting your bike broken in.

David,

Thanks for the DS road info. Between riding the KLR & SV in the NC foothills & mountains, I have "much" exploring to do!

kevinm 02-06-2008 07:53 AM

If I can get my KLR in and out of the shop early enough I'm going to head up there and camp and hike around the lake in the morning. The ORV trails are closed for the season:

So, I'm just riding around trying to find every unpaved road I can find out there. I'll post my plans Saturday. If I can't camp then I'll still head up there Sunday and ride around.

vfrcauv 02-06-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinm
If I can get my KLR in and out of the shop early enough I'm going to head up there and camp and hike around the lake in the morning. The ORV trails are closed for the season:

So, I'm just riding around trying to find every unpaved road I can find out there. I'll post my plans Saturday. If I can't camp then I'll still head up there Sunday and ride around.

Kevin,

I can't camp, but can ride by the camp grounds Saturday. Will keep watch on your post for Saturday. My wife & I started hiking over at Crowders Mountain, also.

johnbryer 02-06-2008 11:32 AM

You guys need to find this spot in North Georgia

bpgxx 02-06-2008 11:58 AM

Man, I think this is my last weekend with the plated XR650R that Justin was kind enough to lend me:thumbsup:

Anyone else have a spare dual-sport just sitting around that needs some love??:rolleyes:

:D

vfrcauv 02-06-2008 12:22 PM

[quote=johnbryer]You guys need to find this spot in North Georgia

I saw a creek/road with the gate closed that looked similar on my Wilson Creek ride yesterday. :thumbsup: