Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums

Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Classifieds (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Exhaust springs needed. (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2026)

Benson 02-13-2008 09:08 AM

Exhaust springs needed.

Length of the springs is not critical, because I am welding the wire stays in possition and they can be adjusted prior.

Anyone have an idea where I can procure the springs locally?

I've contacted Jardine, and they want a small fortune for the little jewels, I'd like to pick them up locally so I can have them quicker and get them in place this week so I can hear what the bike is gonna sound like with the Jardine.

Benson

Wanderer13 02-13-2008 10:45 AM

Re: Exhaust springs needed.

You might want to try CycleGear.

Wolfman 02-13-2008 11:05 AM

Try Lowes, Home Depot, or ACE Hardware??? Or autoparts stores???

Rkhard 02-13-2008 02:29 PM

cycle gear has them, look in the dirtbike section with the exaust hanges, almost all 2 strokes use springs to hold the headers on.

meanstrk 02-17-2008 10:21 AM

I think I still have some from a Hindle system that are new. You need me to check still?

ronoyler@gmail.com

Benson 02-18-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meanstrk
I think I still have some from a Hindle system that are new. You need me to check still?

ronoyler@gmail.com

I got some from Cycle gear.

Thanks though.

Check out the system.....

OldBeezer 02-18-2008 06:11 PM

A most interesting exhaust system. Is that a Triumph triple? Daytona perhaps?:scratch:

Benson 02-19-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBeezer
A most interesting exhaust system. Is that a Triumph triple? Daytona perhaps?:scratch:

DING! We have a Winner!VroomVroom

It's a Yoshimura header on a`95 Triumph Trident. I grafted it to the Jardine slip on, and modified the header.

Has the same motor as the Speed Triples and Daytona's of the same vintage, but cheaper suspension and Standard bike Ergo's without a fairing.

I've upgraded most of the weak parts of the bike though(Suspension is next, have the parts on the work bench in fact).

It's one of the rarest Hinckley Triumph models there is. Only something like 1500 were sold in the US.

Most of the Tona' and S3 parts bolt right on. (I got the seat cowell from a Daytona)

The Yosh header was routed right under the oil filter. So I had to remove the header to change the filter.

Been doing it for 7 years now.

The Yosh silencer was destroyed in the crash last year, so the opportunity to modify the header presented itself when Ebay provided me a fantastic deal in a Jardine replacement slip on from a different model bike.

I finally got the header modified last week. Now I can change the filter and only remove a connecting pipe that removes with springs. Much easier than removing the header.

This is how the header was....(Notice the oil filter housing just above the end of the header :roll: )

The exhaust guy shortend the straight pipes on the bottom, and replaced a "Y" Collector . (I didn't go with Stainless Steel, had a Automotive performance exhaust place do it)

The welds look kind of ugly, but thats because he couldn't run a bead with the Mig welder because the header was really thin Stainless tubing and it would have blown away. It required spot welding with the mig, so the welds need to be cleaned up with a grinder.

Here's the Jardine mounted. (I made the custom aluminum bracket myself)

Here is the custom connector pipe for the system...

You can see here, it's been successfully spot welded in between the new "Y" connector...

I'm hoping it doesn't drag in the turns. If it does I'll have to remake the connector pipe and milk some more ground clearance out of it somehow. (I left extra room, so the center stand might fit, that room can be sacrificed if neccessary)

Powder coating is an option, but rattle can black on the exhaust has satisfied me up to this point. (Yeah, I painted over the Yosh Stainless Steel :) )

The bike sounds completely exhilerating now. It's a lot louder, and flows more. This should mean a direct torque curve/power improvement since the bike has Keihin FCR racing carbs on it and they didn't have enough flow with the restrictive quiet Yosh slip on.

The bike sounds like it's a whole lot meaner now.

OldBeezer 02-21-2008 04:49 PM

That should really look good when you're finished with it. Post a picture when you are finished. Just a suggestion, I like the look of the ceramic coating, I have no idea how much it costs. does it have a 180 or 120 deg crank? The cross-over between the center & right cylinders really caught my attention.