Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > NC/SC - Off Road & Dual Sport Riders
Register Gallery FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NC/SC - Off Road & Dual Sport Riders A forum for dirt bike and dual-sport riders to post ride locations and events, news, fun rides and more.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 AM
not very smart

knybanjo Curb Monkey
Default Iron Mtn/ Va. Highlands

This is a report from the fall of '09 and this copy n paste is by popular demand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:deal: This trail is open to motorcycles year round! :wings:

This one is open to bikes seasonally. Oct 1-Apr 1

and the connecting trails in the area aint bad either.....

Do you wanna see more? vote1
Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 AM
not very smart

knybanjo Curb Monkey
Default Re: Iron Mtn/ Va. Highlands

:deal:
Yes it is legal for motorcycles to ride these trails, two members of the group I rode with yesterday have personally spoken with a Ranger about it! (as it seemed too good to be true) :super:
THuMBUp

The first trail that Great Dane showed us was also labeled as access to the Iron Mtn trail but, it was not the section most people think of. This trail or "access road" ran between the Backbone Rock area over to Laurel Bloomery.

The confusing thing about trying to find this one on your own may be that one end of it has been marked as "private, no trespassing" by a land owner even though it is mapped as a county right of way. :eek7: The land owner had been spoken with previously and gave his blessing anyway, no problem...it is supposed that he is just trying to scare off crooks and hooligans?

This section was two track and it was steep and rocky in places...so my one handed riding/picture taking skills were taxed to the max...here's a few blurs to give you an idea.

The trail was overgrown and covered with leaves....so the 3 Rs rocks, roots and ruts were all lurking underneath waiting to ambush any and all unwary riders. :naughty:

This trail/road was very much like the ones in the Caney Fork area.

This end of the trail came out right into a church parking lot...so both ends of this one can be a bit weird to try and find on your own.

Next up was the Iron Mtn trailhead in Damascus. :bkr1
Old 04-18-2010, 09:22 AM
not very smart

knybanjo Curb Monkey

Look close at this sign......actually I cut the bottom off..oops. But All users yield to horses and motos yield to everybody!

That's right, motos are at the bottom, meaning that you NEED to stop and yield to EVERYONE you meet out on the trail!! ;pI

I believe that it is important to be as courteous as possible this includes shutting the engine OFF when you see horses and communicating with their riders as to the best way that THEY would like to proceed. :super:

The Iron Mtn trail varied in width and difficulty...it started out like a wide two track....

Our group consisted of 2 400s, 2 250s and my old brontasaurus of a 650.

There were places that this trail narrows down into a single track ledge...I should have stopped for a pic as I guess I was too scared to get one while riding. Here's Dane waiting for us to regroup in a swithchback.

Here they come! irtDOG: just kidding oke: :<>grN

Gaston Gagne

Wildhair Jr...I say that 'cause I don't know if he has a screen name and he was riding a Husky 250. :naughty: Do you have a screen name?

There are a number of intersections out on the trail, some of them legal for bikes, some not, you need to know...we stayed on the main trail which is well marked with a Yellow Blaze.

:deal: Pull over, shut off engine, be polite, let them make the call how to proceed. :super:

Single track! :ricky:

On the tree to the Right is an example of the yellow Blaze this trail is marked with.

The Feathercamp trails are also legal for motorcycles....but Dane warned us that they could be quite rough.

Here's what's put out by the Jefferson National Forest....the yellow is moto legal. THuMBUp

Don't touch that dial!!

There's more to come

:lurker:
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 AM
not very smart

knybanjo Curb Monkey

Also dragged this up:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/recre...ails_table.pdf

I have updated my KMZ file with my suspected entrances to this trail (It's in the Iron Mountain folder under "official trails").
http://tyler.schwend.us/maps/dualsport-trails.kmz

But if you're just looking for a quick fix:
Google Maps view

I don't have GPS data so I can't verify trail entrances, but each of those push pins is at least closer to the trail than you were at home. :-)

KNYBanjo, this is awesome. :-)
[/quote]

I condensed the table from that 1st link to show only the trails listed for motorcycles....note that it is from '02

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM
not very smart

knybanjo Curb Monkey

POP QUIZ!!!

Q:Which way would you go?

hint...follow the yellow blaze.

We encountered these happy pedal pushers where the trail intersected a FS rd.

From there it climbed to a ridge line and followed it for a while.

The rest of the crew in action. :bkr1

Here's Gaston Gagne hamming it up for the camera, he got some nice ridgeline pics....post 'em up dude!
]http://knybanjo.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Iron-Mtn/IMG3735/707466620_uPcfH-XL.jpg[/img]

We stopped and took a break at one of the shelters....I don't know where or what it's called, one of the others might.

The usual suspects.

That does it for my Iron Mtn pics.....

Hey all!! Please feel free to post yours!! :scmile
standin"""

...and stay tuned for my....

Virginia Highlands Horse Trail pics.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 AM
not very smart

knybanjo Curb Monkey

And I'll steal a post from Gaston too.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
Good ride!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 AM
not very smart

knybanjo Curb Monkey

The FS road that connected us between the Iron Mtn trail and the Virginia Highlands Horse Trail did not suck either! :ricky:

Probably less than a mile of pavement to connect the two, IIRC. :bkr1
The entrance to Hurricane campground was paved but you had either 10 or 3 miles of dirt to get there. hmm234

The VHHT, as I'll refer to it now, was basically an overgrown FS road. The parts that we're allowed on anyway.

Follow the Orange Diamond.

I remember a number of small water crossings.

It was nice of them to add those so we could clean out our tires for improved traction. :Sk

Let's hear it for Lucky Intervale on the KLX 250 :clap:

Here's Dane and GG exiting a section that had been recently cut back....some places were so overgrown that it would be hard to ride without barkbusters.

Getting ready to head back into another narrow section....those were some of the most fun parts of the trail, but it looks like they plan to prune it all back so that a truck could fit down it again.....

The VHHT didn't seem to have too much elevation change, it had some but, it just seemed to follow a contour line from a topo map....very curvy too.

An FS road that we crossed....

I think that this short section is actually open to all vehicles year round as I remember seeing a truck parked down there....it wasn't too far til there's another gate restricting access to single track only again.

Beyond that gate wee more creek crossings and also a muddy section before we came out on hwy 21.

Here they are in action! :ricky:

Gaston Gagne

Great Dane

Lucky Intervale

Screen name here ?

After stopping in Speedwell for gas and eats we decided that we'd have to run a mix of stuff in order to get back to Damascus before dark.

Dust

Dane twisted his throttle so hard that he broke the cable! MOL>

After a meeting of the minds......

....a nice little thumb throttle was created :thumb: .....but now he has to ride like a quadtard! 8)

Dusk

I really enjoyed the ride fellas! :super: (I think we put in close to 150 miles)

?;>]-- Now about that inaugural TDJ 1..............
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Let's see where this goes

Wanderer13 Rides in Straight Lines Only

That's fantastic Banjo. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to give those trails a try in the near future.
2008 KTM 450 EXC-R (NCHSA #388)
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 FJR1300
2008 Toyota Prius
Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Gitupondis Curb Monkey

By any chance did you run a GPS track while up there?