Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > NC - Charlotte, Greensboro/Central NC
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NC - Charlotte, Greensboro/Central NC This forum is for Charlotte, Greensboro and Central NC area members, events, meetings, and rides.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

bpgxx Curb Monkey
Default Spring Break Ride Report

I'm on spring break from teaching right now and have had a blast on the WRR riding around "back home". Yesterday I did some exploring in an area of western PA that I knew well as a kid, but never checked out on a bike.

Anyone remember the film "Stand By Me"?

There are 2 tunnels and 2 very high, very long RR trestles in this area along a long-abandoned RR line. I was probably 6 the first time we went there - not sure if trains were still running back then, but I know it's been well over 20 years since a train has crossed.

We rappelled off the larger trestle in college - my 160' rope wasn't near long enough to reach the river's edge, so we had to "land" quite a ways up the riverbank. I dropped some rocks off and timed their descent - came up with about 190 feet height...

To say that riding across this, alone, on a windy day was a "bit scary" is an understatement! Like any rough terrain, the faster the better. Just didn't want to get going TOO fast up there...

Especially scary when you encounter a missing RR tie:

TWO missing RR ties took the cake. I honestly don't remember this exactly when I rode across (I had doubled back on foot to take the pics), likely just closed my eyes and gassed it. This pic still gives me chills...

Obviously I made it, went on to check out Tunnel #1. It's about 3/4 mile long - when you're in the middle of this thing w/o a light source, you can't even see your hand in front of your face.

Tunnel #2:

Tunnel #2, same spot looking forward. Unfortunately #2 is starting to cave in at the far entrance.

It's cool to see the many layers of carefully placed brick, and the "backbone" of timbers - which were in really good shape after 100+ years

Even though the snows melted over a month ago, there was still a huge chunk of ice at the entrance:

After exploring around the RR tunnels & trestles, I decided to check out some of the side trails branching off from the area.

One trail led to a very gnarly wooded hill climb, another was a great ATV path following an ancient narrow gauge RR grade high above the river for several miles. Just sweet riding...

Eventually I encountered pavement, but less than 1/2 mile away I spied an inviting powerline with some promising looking trails:

And some pretty cool "playgrounds" (notice the trails continuing off into the distance in the upper right):

Didn't try this one, maybe next time when a buddy's with me:

Much later in the day, I did hook up with a bud for some riding closer to the folks' place - here he is cooling off the '78 XL250:

Not bad for an afternoon, gonna miss it until June when I return!

By road:
- CBR1100XX
By air:
- XL250S
- WR250R

Go n-éirí do thuras leat!