Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > NC - Raleigh-Durham, Eastern/Coastal NC/SC
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NC - Raleigh-Durham, Eastern/Coastal NC/SC This forum is for Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Wilmington, NC and Coastal NC/OBX,Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head, SC area members, events, meetings, and rides.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Bronze Member

madmotomike Curb Monkey
Default a simple "THANKS" would be nice..

NOW that's not right!

i am offended..........

just spent some time researching "stuff" on kevin schwantz's web site.

i already knew he was a special talent..being left handed and such he is in rare company...mich doohan, ben spies,neil hodgson, wayne rainey,troy bayliss, VALENTINO ROSSI, and many many more. because of this i expected more.

but he did not even give me a "kiss " or acknowledge that i ---MADMOTOMIKE played a role in his meteoric rise to stardom..

you see if kevin had not lapped me at north carolina motor speedway...he may not have realized that his potential was limitless!!
he rode that fj600 around me on the high line on the banking as i your humble scribe/mutant was tucked in as tight as i could get on my yamaha sr500 thumper.. just living in denial about MY size and potential!!

then there was the payback ..at road atlanta . kevin was scooting up the hill toward the infield when i caught him and saw my opprotunity for "payback". my bmw k100rs and i swept by with at least 15 mph in hand. we sent kevin scurrying back to the paddock in search of more hp from his suzuki quad!!!

yeah baby!!!

the site was quite informative..lots of humorous anecdotes and stories that "humanize" of great heros.

for instance..the input from the yoshimura insiders was way cool as were the stories from competitors all the way thru out the career.

my favorite tech tip ... was how the yoshimura team eliminated a persistant rear wheel corner entry chatter early in kevin's career. having exhausted the crew and the possiabilities. the chatter consisted until the yosh team was able to reduce the braking power of the too powerful rear brake.

there are several ways to do this. one of the most common is to reduce the swept area by cutting grooves in the pad material until it is where you want it.

too feirce a rear brake is a common problem that riders seem to look inside themselves to solve. anthony gobert used to set his rear brake up so it could NOT lock the wheel.

yvon duhamel destroyed a factory kawasaki at suzuka after complaining about a rear brake that was too aggressive and being forced to try to ride around it.....

as a proof of concept action .... unbeknownst to kevin they sent him out to "check it out now". kevin apparently came in enthused that the bike was perfect !! they then told him how they had exorcised the demon.......

not computers...no ratios...no machining of pads and such..

they merely ..put "A BIT OF GREASE" on the rear brake...reducing the friction and the power. worked like a charm!!

made me smile...such a simple solution.

is this something YOU could use if the rear brake is complicating corner entry?

i might even be able to make my self use the rear brake and develope new skills... if i don't like it .......just a bike washing with degreaser will take me back to the present status quo.