Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > NC - Mountains
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NC - Mountains This forum is for NC Mountain areas of Asheville, Sparta, Jonas Ridge, Blowing Rock, Boone members, events, meetings, and rides.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM

tireatr Curb Monkey
Default NC194

Some of you might be familiar with this road. It weaves in and out of many small Mountian towns, connecting some and joining other NC routes before it breaks off on it's own. I don't know all of it's history, but I really like where it goes and what it connects together. My favorite section is from NC 321/421 north of Boone a few miles, west to Banner Elk. It had been likely 20 or more years since resurfacing had been done to this road, and like NC215 on the south side, patientance has paid off.

I got in a 5 hour ride Monday starting from the cabin and returning there. I made my way through Spruce Pine and Banner Elk, picking up 194 @ 19E. The section of 194 that was resurfaced starts east of Banner Elk and goes all the way to Valle Crucis then again picks up near Mast Gap. The newly resurfaced sections were smooth, but the shoulders were a little dirty. I can only assume the DOT will add the obligatory gravel on the side and allow cages to kick it around all winter. Hopefully it will be ready to rock and roll in the spring because while it's only about 10-12 miles in total length in 2 sections, it's really hard to beat.

I did a loop on Georges Gap and Old Beech Mtn road before making my way up and over Roan Mtn which still has snow in the shadows. From there I did some back roads in Yancey county to get me back to 197 and NC80. What a great day.

NC80 on the Burnsville side also had some new surface. While only the top 4 miles or so were done it was the most needed section. It was rutted out and heavily tar snaked too. Get used to riding NC80 instead of 226A because as Louie and others have reported, it's all screwed up with thousands of tar snakes all the way up to Little Switz cafe and beyond.