Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > SC - Mountains/Greenville-Spartanburg
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SC - Mountains/Greenville-Spartanburg This forum is for Western and Greenville, SC area members, events, meetings, and rides.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM

sprint_st Curb Monkey
Default The Art of Passing: A Comentary

Yesterday three of us went on a little spin through the twisties. It was my first time riding with Griff and Marc and I thoroughly enjoyed it. When riding with experienced and competent riders it makes the ride just plain fun. One of the things that I noticed was how passing was accomplished: safe and efficient. Granted there were only three of us but on past group rides I never was sure what would happen. Either we stacked up waiting for a mile long straight away which never seemed to come or the lead chose a safe place and assumed the rest would catch up.

It's getting harder to pass. Both N and S Carolina are making almost every place double yellows. 4 points and $140 for passing three out of four cars southbound right out of Rocky Bottom taught me a lesson. (I could of passed the fourth and left the Sheriff but there are down sides to that). It's also curious that some cars will pull over to let you pass and others won't. A pickup truck driven by an old geezer in NC will almost never let you by. Then there is WV. They have dashed lines in turns and I've had impromptu races with cars and trucks there because they like to hit the turns.

When my wife asked me if I have ever had a near death experience, I answered "how much time do you have?" She never realized that I had so many on the bike. I remember almost every one and when I thought about it, they were almost always in a passing situation. I still pass on double yellows and multiple cars, etc but I do think about pulling the trigger more before making the decision. I guess passing does increase risk but it also makes things interesting.