Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > NC/SC - Off Road & Dual Sport Riders
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NC/SC - Off Road & Dual Sport Riders A forum for dirt bike and dual-sport riders to post ride locations and events, news, fun rides and more.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Just Joined

dirtrider Curb Monkey
Unhappy Re: First street legal bike - dual sport

Word of caution for those reading this and living in NC. The NCDOT doesn't play games with trying to take a dirt bike and making it street legal. You can buy all the things required and more from a dual sport website. I'm talking about horn, headlight (hi/low beam) tires, etc. Unless the bike came from the factory as a dual sport your stuck with a dirt bike. The DMV will inspect the bike and look at the label on the frame FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) which states if it is allowed to be used on the street. This comes from the manufacture. They will also check the VIN and the Title. I know, I've been through all of this with the local DMV, License and Theft Bureau, and NCDOT headquarters Raleigh when I followed all the rules and they would not allow it.

Best suggestion is to determine if you plan to do more dirt riding than street, then go with a KTM EXC, or a Husqvarna TE. If you plan to ride more street and just a trail once in a while, then there are the typical options with Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, etc.

Just my two (or three) cents