Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > NC - Raleigh-Durham, Eastern/Coastal NC/SC
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NC - Raleigh-Durham, Eastern/Coastal NC/SC This forum is for Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Wilmington, NC and Coastal NC/OBX,Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head, SC area members, events, meetings, and rides.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Superior Member

rglee Curb Monkey
Default AMA Vintage Days @ Mid-Ohio

Rod, Mike, Terry and I had been planning on doing the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days this year for almost a year.... we made it! And what a blast. Rod and I trailered Rod's old Suzuki GS850 and my '75 Kaw Z1 up and met Terry and Mike at the hotel. Turns out, Carlton, the Kawasaki Tech Rep for the South East US and the whole Kaw crew were staying at the same hotel. Carlton use to be one of the best mechanics around here and a wild man in his own right.

It rained off and on Friday so that put a little dampener on the races and turn out. But we made up for it that evening with Carlton and the Kawasaki girls around the hotel pool and hot tub and copious quantities of beer, rum and what have you.

Saturday started a little slow for the lightweights due to the previous evening's festivities. I was at the track by 0900 - the others wondered in over the next couple hours. What a blast! No other event has so much going on in such a small area. There's vintage road racing, MX, hare scrambles, trials, bike shows, seminars, manufacturer displays and demo rides and on and on. Oh, did I mention the 35 acres of swap meet? Or the 1/2 dirt track races at night? ST Don linked up with us Saturday... he was in heaven like the rest of us.

Ran into Bernie and Garrett from Raleigh. Garrett was selling his bicycle rack for motorcycles at a booth in the swap meet area. Stopped by to see George from up Pennsylvania way, also in the swap meet area. George is an avid vintage motorcyclist, dirt biker and GS rider.

Sunday morning Rod and I hit the AMA Museum enroute home. It's not as big as the Barber Museum or as "cool" as the Wheels Thru Time museum in Maggie Valley but it is great in its own right.

Check out the pics below. Will try to hang some video later.

Neat old ProTec TT500 in custom frame.
[IMG][/IMG]

The main drag...
[IMG][/IMG]

Obviously the coolest bike there...

Rod at the AMA Museum...
[IMG][/IMG]

The beginning of Honda domination. The 305 SuperHawk and RC161 (Honda's first world championship bike).
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Clean old Hodaka.
[IMG][/IMG]

Awards and auction after the Legends MX race. Lundstrom, Davis, Cunningham, Burleson, Malcom Smith and many others were there. Did I say that Husqvarna was the Bike of the Year this year?
[IMG][/IMG]

Ossa Stiletto like Terry had a century ago.
[IMG][/IMG]

Wildest bike there... an Ariel Square Four motor shoehorned into a Norton Featherbed frame!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The swap meet was pretty muddy Friday.
[IMG][/IMG]

Beautiful cafe racers everywhere.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

There was a whole tent of Bridgestones.
[IMG][/IMG]

Remember the GTR350... a little hot rod.
[IMG][/IMG]

Another 2-stroke rocket ship.
[IMG][/IMG]

Rod molesting a KTM test rider.
[IMG][/IMG]

New road racers...
[IMG][/IMG]

and old road racers.
[IMG][/IMG]

Characters of dubious moral fiber - Rod, Terry and Mike.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pentons and KTMs.
[IMG][/IMG]

HL500 - another sweet TT500 based MXer.
[IMG][/IMG]

Nice Sporty.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Neat little Honda S90.
[IMG][/IMG]

Husky TE310... could be my next dirt bike!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Huskys, new Huskys.
[IMG][/IMG]

Husky was building big 4-stroke dirt bikes 50 years ago.
[IMG][/IMG]

Other old Huskys...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Daytona Motorcycle Speed Week use to be our annual pilgrimage. I think it'll be Vintage Days from now on.

Let's RIDE!
'75 Z1
'72 Honda CB350 Vintage Racer (work inprogress)
'69 CB160
'66 CB450