Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER'S HUDDLE > The Service Department
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Service Department Welcome to the cycle clinic. Open 24/7. Got a problem? Get it fixed! Post your service issues or needs here and get a little help from your friends.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Carolina on my mind...

Flying996 Curb Monkey
Default Gas Separation Anxiety...

For those of us who store anything with a gas tank for an extended period of time, here's a helpful tip from LT @ DesmoTimes...

Check out the picture at http://desmotimes.com/blog/?p=2631

Quote:
Sometimes I yell the sky is falling and nothing happens. Other times I’m right on the mark. Remember my warnings about the dangers of ethanol to fuel systems. Well, last week I wheeled my 748 over to the shop for a checkup. I drained the fuel and, just for grins, decided to shine a flashlight into the gas tank. What the heck? I saw a pile of goo at the bottom of the tank. I quickly removed the tank and pulled the fuel pump for a closer look. The above picture is proof positive of what happens when ethanol separates from fuel. It turns into a pile of goo. Now before you get all hot and bothered, there is some good news. The fuel in my 748 has been there since last summer. So it’s 7-8 months old. I’m guessing it separated during this cold winter. The good news for me is that the bike hasn’t been started, so none of that goo made its way into the fuel system. The bad news is that the rest of my bikes have been sitting up as well. Every one of them will have the fuel tank pulled and cleaned. My CF5 additive would have prevented this from happening, but I’ve only heard about ethanol separation until now. I’m also adding a note to the fuel system chapter in my books. My recommendation is that if your bike sits up for more than 90 days with the same tank of fuel (sans fuel stabilizer), that you drain the fuel and pull the tank and fuel pump to clean things out. For the paranoid, fuel stabilizer is the ticket.

Gotta love those Ethanol fans. What a great idea for our economy and for motorists……….. frack…

Chris
CCS #21
00 SV650 Race
02 998