Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER'S HUDDLE > The Service Department
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Service Department Welcome to the cycle clinic. Open 24/7. Got a problem? Get it fixed! Post your service issues or needs here and get a little help from your friends.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
DNS/DNF

jjsorkin Curb Monkey
Default Re: Local Firms Rebuilding Shocks?

Trying to rebuild an old shock from a 95 bike has been an exercise in futility.

I first sent off my shock to a firm that claimed that they could rebuild my shock with much better performance. Shipped out my shock- Took a week to receive. Received an email that they were mistaken as my shock has a welded cap and is not rebuildable. The vendor did not charge me any freight to ship the shock back to me. Another week. +2 Weeks.

I then found Hagon and YSS that still manufactured new shocks for my vintage KLX. Unfortunately, the price was prohibitive as each distributor wanted nearly $600.00 for a similar rear shock and it would take about 6 weeks since it would be shipped from UK! I finally ended up canceling due to issues in which they were communicating with me daily about whether my bike was a KLR or not. I explained multiple times that my bike is a KLX and not a KLR! +2 Weeks.

At this point, I was fast approaching 5 weeks for what I thought would be a simple process to rebuild my rear shock. I finally found one article while doing many forum searches including yahoo groups that a DRZ 400 shock was a perfect replacement although I would have to get stiffer springs from eshocks.com. Last week, I won a 2005 DRZ400S rear shock off Ebay and the rear shock arrived with a week. +1 Week.

I also received a response from eshocks.com that my Hypercoil Springs will be drop shipped directly to me from the manufacturer within 7 to 10 business days- ARRRRRRRGGGG! +2 Weeks.

Total timeframe- 7 weeks and yes, it will take me a weekend to install the new rear shock and because the new shock has a remote reservoir, I have to take the airbox and the battery out to reinstall everything after fitting stiffer springs.

The joy of owning something different!

Jon