Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > NC - Raleigh-Durham, Eastern/Coastal NC/SC
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NC - Raleigh-Durham, Eastern/Coastal NC/SC This forum is for Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Wilmington, NC and Coastal NC/OBX,Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head, SC area members, events, meetings, and rides.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Limey Rider

cafetbird Curb Monkey
Default Re: Raleigh EuroBike

Prob with a roving event is getting the word out to new people. If you have a steady time and place, the word gets around, and new folks are showing up all the time. I don't like "clicky gigs" with the same small group of folks all that much - prefer to see new folks with new bikes show up all time. There are folks that ride in to the Charlotte gig from as far away as Hickory, Lexington, Winston... so if you truely like to ride, it is not so bad. I work in north Cary, so it would take me a good 45 minutes to get to the south side also...

Needs to br broader than just one forum too. Participation from the local BMW, Ducati and Triumphs clubs is what got the Charlotte Euro gig rolling and growing.

Some kind of roving things on the weekend would be pretty cool! How about Saturday a.m. breakfast runs out to different locales?

Sorry you don't like the 'nam moniker - I grew up near the base, so always just accepted it. It was a pretty rough place when I was a kid...

Do The Ton Triangle
Old 10-16-2010, 02:20 PM

Seagondollar Curb Monkey

Raleigh Eurobike is a once a year thing that I'm going to continue to do, even after the accident last April that broke my back, totaled my bike, and ended my riding. If you want to put on a Fayetteville Eurobike or wherever, feel free.

I just think (and have previous experience in) more than once a year and folks get bored or loose interest. Even though I won't be riding next year or in the future, I will promote a 2011 event.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Limey Rider

cafetbird Curb Monkey

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident, Seagon, but I do admire your dillegence to continuing planning of an event in spite of your inability to ride.

Of course, my prior experience speaks different to yours, so I hope you won't be offended by my difference of opinioon, or I continue to push for getting something similar rolling in the Triangle area to waht I have seen be a success in Charlotte.

Charotte Euro Bike night has been going strong four 5 years now. I think other folks here can speak to the success of that event. Google it some time. Some months are certainly more heavily attended than others, and it gets a bit light over the winter, but you'll see around 50 bikes there each month, sometimes more. Macs is a great location that caters to motorcyclists heavily, so that certanly helps. All mannner of bikes show up to check out the scene, including the scooter riders.

We also got an event called SoMoto started this year in Fort Mill. It is held at a wine bar, and the owner is a rider / enthusiast. There a usually 20+ bikes there, and they are more of an electic crowd of cafe racers by design.

If you don't have the right formula for something like this, it can certainly fizzle. Location is crucial, as is the venue. I don't think the same thing would work at a Hooters. I also think it helps that these events are reasonably is ad hoc, and don't require a lot of work or promotion. Folks just know when it is and show up, and information has spread via word of mouth.

So, who has ideas on what establishment might be a suitable location?

Do The Ton Triangle
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Superior Member

rglee Curb Monkey

Great idea. I'll go where ever, but just as a suggestion - how about in Pittsboro. There's a bar & / or grill on the north side of town that some riders occasionally use as a linkup point. I've only been there once or twice so don't remember the name. It'd be a short ride from Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh-Durham and only a little further for Fayetteville riders. If anyone else is interested I'll dig up the name and address, and we can check it out one night.

Just a suggestion.

Let's RIDE!
'75 Z1
'72 Honda CB350 Vintage Racer (work inprogress)
'69 CB160
'66 CB450
Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Limey Rider

cafetbird Curb Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglee
Great idea. I'll go where ever, but just as a suggestion - how about in Pittsboro. There's a bar & / or grill on the north side of town that some riders occasionally use as a linkup point.

Hmm... interesting idea! The ride in would be fun from any direction, I think. We need to test it out some time soon, me thinks...

The more I reflect on the Charlotte gigs, I think the venue is everything. It has to be a cool location that supports the cause. Those may be hard to come by here???

Do The Ton Triangle
Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM

simpson Curb Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafetbird
I think the venue is everything. It has to be a cool location that supports the cause.

Agree 100%

-simpson
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Limey Rider

cafetbird Curb Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson
Agree 100%

-simpson

Yeah, I know YOU agree with this, Nat - you ride 1 1/2 hours to come to the Charlotte gigs frequently. The place makes all the difference in the world. I think one significant factor is that even if hardly anyone shows up, you still know you'll enjoy the food, beer, and moto-friendly ambiance of the place. Someone on a bike will most likely pull in on any day, that you can strike up a conversation with at Macs.

It is probably not even worth it if no one in Raleigh has developed an establishment like that here yet. Kind of disapponting to think that Charlotte has a leg up on you guys???

Maybe you and I just need to develop a venue like this in the region, Nat!

Do The Ton Triangle
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Limey Rider

cafetbird Curb Monkey

OK, so Raleigh Eurobike 2012 is going to be April 14 this year. Mark is finalizing the location... stay tuned!

Do The Ton Triangle
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Limey Rider

cafetbird Curb Monkey

Location has been finalized - Seaboard Station on Peace St. Ya'll come on down!

Do The Ton Triangle
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Zoom Zoom

ThrottleReport Curb Monkey

Hi all. First post here. Signed up just because of this thread (that and I just found these forums tonight, but mostly the thread thing).

I'm curious, is the EuroBike 2012 event more of a retro bike event, or are newer bikes welcome? I ride a rather confused 2011 Triumph cruiser that was designed in England, assembled in Thailand, and called an America. I think I'm in town April 14th. I'd like to attend if I'm here.

Also for those considering a regional monthly gathering, that sounds fun too. Pittsboro's a pleasant hour or so ride from here, depending on traffic. I just started riding last Summer and only have one other friend that rides. I'd love to meet other riders in this area.