Welcome to the Carolinas favorite motorcycle rider social networking site Unregistered
Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums  

Go Back   Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums > RIDER COMMUNITIES > Just Rides
FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Just Rides Post your ride no matter where you are riding. Starbucks, lunch, dinner, the mountains, the coast or even a quick ride in the country.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM
the newbie

boxmonkey Curb Monkey
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkey Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkey Send a message via Skype™ to boxmonkey
Default Bunburner gold 1500

Friday at 1157 hrs I left Big Boys truck stop at exit 105 on I-95 headed down to jacksonville, fl. then across to san antonio, tx.

the first few hrs were very uneventful, I contemplated the meaning of life and why some crazy person would do such a challenge. but after my first stop for gas at 235 miles I just got down to the task at hand, riding until I reached my goal. But as nature would have it a huge down poor accord about 20 miles north of jacksonville.

I was lucky enough I saw the line of rain and pulled over to put on my rain gear. As I got back on the bike and headed into the rain it became extremely heavy. Everyone was turning on their flashers and traffic slowed to a crawl. I know I should have pulled over and waited it out but I kept pushing through. it lasted about 10 miles and cleared right up. of course the sun came out and I started burning up in my rain gear. luckily my next stop for fuel was coming up quickly. when i filled up I removed the rain gear and hopped back on to continue around -210 to I-10. after about an hour on I-10 I hit rain again but it lasted for maybe 2 mins and I was soaked but oh well didn't stop.

I had to fill up near the capitol took about 20 mins to stretch. not even half way through. . .ugh. the ride is starting to get to me. it took several more hours to get out of the state of fl. but once I did AL and MS went by quick. stopping near mobile AL taking a 5 hr energy thinking that it will at least get me to MS so I can stay a few ours at a hotel there. After I got near boluxi ms I was still wide away so I kept pushing through. I made it into LA and instead of following my gps I just started following I-10. I ended up only riding 5 miles out of the way but it was still a set back. I road back up to I-12 and took it west. eventually I-10 came back and I hopped back on it again. I'm not sure exactly where I stopped in LA but I ended up spending 30 mins walking around and drinking water and another 5 hr energy. I hopped back on and started heading west again. the 5 hr energys got me to houston where i had to pull over and grab a bite to eat. I had just realized I hadn't eaten since before I left. and my head was bobbing for about 5 miles. I needed to get off the bike. but I was 200 miles from my goal. I took about 15 mins to eat, filled up my camelbak and hit the road again. this time I was wide awake with out caffeine.

the next few miles I kept taking note of all the traffic laws everyone has blatantly ignored. like slower traffic keep right. . .this really pisses me off to no end. if youre in the left lane you should be going fast. if you aren't going fast and a line of cars is building up behind you get the hell over. but back on topic I finally pulled into san antonio at exactly 10 am central with 1560 on the trip and just over 9070 miles on the odo. 23hrs and 3 mins on a bike. let me just say it will be a long time before I do that again. I'm taking 3 days to come back this time. partly because I'm stopping in TN to visit family. but not again anytime soon. ugh. . .I know I can do it that's all that matters.